• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
They said they love Mormons. Did you bother to watch the video? Get back to me if you do.

The best information comes from neither a sales man nor a competitor.
"The maker "in this case God, is the best person to consult.
This can be done through the Book of Mormon and study of their religion.
Their Prophet
Through Prayer.
One of the last people I might think of to ask would be a member of your church.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
The best information comes from neither a sales man nor a competitor.
"The maker "in this case God, is the best person to consult.
This can be done through the Book of Mormon and study of their religion.
Their Prophet
Through Prayer.
One of the last people I might think of to ask would be a member of your church.

ya, because God makes a video, :rolleyes:

Joeboonda -

If you have ever gone to a church meeting in your life, or actually read the Book of Mormon completely for yourself, you would see how we do not contradict any teachings in either the Book of Mormon or the Bible.

If you havent experienced anythign yourself, you are only going off someone else's "idea" and you have absolutely no opinions of your own.

"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

madhatter85

Transhumanist
They do???

I never noticed that. I guess my religion is false then.

Ya it is cause someone got butthurt cause thier daughter married a mormon and now seeks to prove us wrong! :eek:

**EDIT: This was not directed at boonda, but at the producers of the film.**

joeboonda

Wasn't my daughter,lol. I believe they love Mormons, perhaps not the teachings, but the people, yes. Anyway, I would be interested if anyone who has actually watched the movie would care to comment on it. I don't suppose anyone will though.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Wasn't my daughter,lol. I believe they love Mormons, perhaps not the teachings, but the people, yes. Anyway, I would be interested if anyone who has actually watched the movie would care to comment on it. I don't suppose anyone will though.

i wasn't talkign about you. i was talkign about the person who made the film.

while i think your views are skewed heavily by bias opinions, i wouldn't personally attack you :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

SoyLeche

meh...
I haven't watched the video, and I don't plan to - not because I don't want to know what is on it, but because I am nearly certain that I already have heard everything that is on it, multiple times.

I found this book review a while back, and I think it does a pretty good job of explaining many of the claims of those trying to prove the church wrong. It's long, but if you are interested it is worth the time.

Letters to an Anti-Mormon - FARMS Review

MotoEric

Why don't Christians accept the Book of Mormon to be true? It testifys of Christ our Savior, as the Messiah, the Great Mediator. And it's a solid Book, it has substance.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you think the way you do.

Madhatter,

The primary reason most Christians don't believe in the sanctity of the Book of Mormon is that they know nothing about it. I assume that I am like most Christians in that I would need to read the Book of Mormon and become at least somewhat knowledgeable about it to gain any serious opinion on it. Until that time comes I rely on the belief that if it were a valid part of the Holy texts it would be included in the use of my denomination.

I also have not done enough research into the Upanishads or the Koran to form a personal opinion and until I do I will rest comfortably in the belief that the texts used by the Catholic Church are the truest expression of Christianity.

I'm Catholic, and Catholicism, like most religions is exclusionary in a religious sense. We believe that any non-Catholic view of salvation and religious expression is not in full concordance with the wishes of God. Therefor we don't believe in the holy texts of other religions.

Are you asking for the opinions of people who have read the Book of Mormon and have rejected it?

I don't know you, so take anything that sounds like an assumption with a grain of salt, but it seems that you are much more interested in proselytizing and debating than in actually listening to the opinions of others.

Eric

FFH

Veteran Member
Why don't Christians accept the Book of Mormon to be true? It testifys of Christ our Savior, as the Messiah, the Great Mediator. And it's a solid Book, it has substance.

You don't believe there is any way that Christ would have appeared to his "Sheep of another fold" (mentioned in the bible) in the americas after his ressurection. Or that Both God and Christ would appear to a modern day prophet..
Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice and follow me".

Simple as that.

There are "bodies Celestial," "bodies Terrestrial" and "bodies Telestial"...and they all hear a different voice...

To each his own...

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Madhatter,

The primary reason most Christians don't believe in the sanctity of the Book of Mormon is that they know nothing about it. I assume that I am like most Christians in that I would need to read the Book of Mormon and become at least somewhat knowledgeable about it to gain any serious opinion on it. Until that time comes I rely on the belief that if it were a valid part of the Holy texts it would be included in the use of my denomination.

I also have not done enough research into the Upanishads or the Koran to form a personal opinion and until I do I will rest comfortably in the belief that the texts used by the Catholic Church are the truest expression of Christianity.

I'm Catholic, and Catholicism, like most religions is exclusionary in a religious sense. We believe that any non-Catholic view of salvation and religious expression is not in full concordance with the wishes of God. Therefor we don't believe in the holy texts of other religions.

Are you asking for the opinions of people who have read the Book of Mormon and have rejected it?

I don't know you, so take anything that sounds like an assumption with a grain of salt, but it seems that you are much more interested in proselytizing and debating than in actually listening to the opinions of others.

Eric

I would suggest reading the Book of Mormon, and prayign about it.

Of course Catholics would never accept the book of mormon, even if they knew it was true, because then it would make them wrong, and catholicism would dissolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.