• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't the Tanakh say that God is only one person?

Iymus

Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses and those who live the Jewish faith claim that but I cannot read in the Tanakh that God is only one.

:facepalm:

King James Version:

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Neh 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Young Literal Translation:

Deu 6:4 'Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah;

Neh 9:6 Thou art He, O Jehovah, Thyself—Thou hast made the heavens, the heavens of the heavens, and all their host, the earth and all that are on it, the seas and all that are in them, and Thou art keeping all of them alive, and the host of the heavens to Thee are bowing themselves.

Easy to Read Version
:rolleyes:
Deu 6:4 "Listen, people of Israel! The LORD is our God. The LORD is the only God.

Neh 9:6 You are God. LORD, only you are God. You made the sky and the highest heavens and everything in them. You made the earth and everything on it. You made the seas and everything in them. You give life to everything. All the heavenly angels bow down and worship you.

:smirk:

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses and those who live the Jewish faith claim that but I cannot read in the Tanakh that God is only one.
Jews, Muslim, JW's, and Unitarians can see it.

Maybe the problem is by you.

Do not forget the Baha'i, it is the core teaching of our Faith in the One G-d. :D

'Gooooooooo Onenessssss' :p

God is One in many persons, called Prophets, Messengers or Manifestations.

Regards Tony

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It doesn't have to. when you say that God is one, it means is not a plurality of God, either externally (in many gods) or internally (as in one God three persons).

Hear O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one.

It doesn't say three in one.

That's all you really need.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It doesn't have to. when you say that God is one, it means is not a plurality of God, either externally (in many gods) or internally (as in one God three persons).

Hear O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one.

It doesn't say three in one.

That's all you really need.

The Lord is One, his Messengers are many and we know God by all of them.

Thus the many Names of God, glimpses which are seen in all scriptures.

This is the most sound explanation of God. IMHO.

RegardsTony

IndigoChild5559

King James Version:

Neh 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Neh 9:6 Thou art He, O Jehovah, Thyself—Thou hast made the heavens, the heavens of the heavens, and all their host, the earth and all that are on it, the seas and all that are in them, and Thou art keeping all of them alive, and the host of the heavens to Thee are bowing themselves.

Easy to Read Version
Deu 6:4 "Listen, people of Israel! The LORD is our God. The LORD is the only God.

Neh 9:6 You are God. LORD, only you are God. You made the sky and the highest heavens and everything in them. You made the earth and everything on it. You made the seas and everything in them. You give life to everything. All the heavenly angels bow down and worship you.

:smirk:
If you knew just a smidgeon of Hebrew, you would translate it better than these.

shema yisrael, [tetragrammaton] eloheinu, [tetragrammaton] echad

Hear Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD [is] one.

IndigoChild5559

The Lord is One, his Messengers are many and we know God by all of them.

Thus the many Names of God, glimpses which are seen in all scriptures.

This is the most sound explanation of God. IMHO.

RegardsTony
Bahai is walking right on the line with this. When you start talking about his messengers being manifestations of God, you border on idolatry.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Bahai is walking right on the line with this. When you start talking about his messengers being manifestations of God, you border on idolatry.

Except we have many teachings explaining the line and the difference.

On one hand we have God, unknowable in any way to our finite mind, exalted above any praise of any of God's creation.

On the other hand we have the Messengers and Prophets who are all we can know of God, it is they that tell us of God.

They are all of the Holy Spirit, not like us and who they are, what they say and how they live, is all we can know about God.

Regards Tony

lostwanderingsoul

The latter. I only have time now for the short answer because it's soon shabbat, which is: It's "the royal 'we'" and there are proofs for this from the Tanach, but I don't have time at the moment. Perhaps someone else does have time to further explain. Have a nice weekend.
But maybe, just maybe, it is not the royal we. "The Word was with God" sure sounds like more than one.

Iymus

King James Version:

Easy to Read Version

If you knew just a smidgeon of Hebrew, you would translate it better than these.

KJV, YLT , and ERV are not my translations. Kindly take your grievances up with the respective publishers.

Also.

Isa 28:9 KJV Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
Isa 28:10 KJV For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Isa 28:11 KJV For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
And did God say in the beginning: "Let me create man after my image" or "Let us create man after our image"?

If you think that saying "Our Image" means there is more than one, then what you in other words imply is that the Tanah is contradicting itself. That would give the tanah thought has a dual personality, at one point in the Shema its saying God is one lord, and you are making a case that "Though the tanah says its one, it says we so its plural". Which creates a dilemma.

Also if that kind of plural means more than one, then even Moses must be more than one person being a human being so is that a group of people called moses?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The "Royal we" argument again. You don't have to explain that argument to me, I know it already. And it's been refuted enough times.
Since you know everything already, why bother asking? And the refutes have been refuted as well.

Iymus

And did God say in the beginning: "Let me create man after my image" or "Let us create man after our image"?

I spoke of this here " Lord God is not us or they. "

But to put it bluntly

1. Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Moses did not cosign the following:

So God created man in their own image

2. This means all things are of God himself which includes those made in his own image and likeness whether in heaven or on earth.

Isa 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

3. Even if I did not believe in the Tanakh I cannot ignore pronouns and the intent behind them.

Pronoun Chart for reference:

41789_8abd55931f62d12ee46d8647ab5efa6b.jpg

4. Lastly, this could be seen as a bit irrelevant since your question is in regards to the tanakh . However God is himself first and foremost apart from Jesus.

2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself. Yes God himself used his anointed but first and foremost God is himself because he is one; going back to the first commandment.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

if you can't read it, when the book itself says "God is One" then you're probably ignoring what you're reading.

calm

if you can't read it, when the book itself says "God is One" then you're probably ignoring what you're reading.
Male and female are also called "one". And the hebrew word "one" (echad) for male and female is the same word used for God.

And also one should not forget that God said in the beginning: "Let us make man after our image; and God created man in his image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

What about this.

Zachariah 14:9

And the LORD shall be King over all the earth; In that day shall the LORD be One, and His name one.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Maybe because He isn’t. I don’t think that He is three, either, or many, or even zero. I don’t think that He can be numbered.

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
Ok, here you go:

אֲנִי יְהוָה וְאֵין עוֹד, זוּלָתִי אֵין אֱלֹהִים; אֲאַזֶּרְךָ, וְלֹא יְדַעְתָּנִי
לְמַעַן יֵדְעוּ, מִמִּזְרַח-שֶׁמֶשׁ וּמִמַּעֲרָבָה, כִּי-אֶפֶס, בִּלְעָדָי: אֲנִי יְהוָה, וְאֵין עוֹד

It is quite clear.

rosends

Male and female are also called "one". And the hebrew word "one" (echad) for male and female is the same word used for God.

And also one should not forget that God said in the beginning: "Let us make man after our image; and God created man in his image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."
Though you haven't answered my earlier question, I just want to point out that for female, the word for one is achat (sometimes echat), not echad. Are you asserting that, because the word referring to God is echad, that God is a man?