• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Wet Stuff Dry?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I know this sound stupid but I'm not a physicist or chemist.

Why does wet stuff dry? Say, you leave dishes slightly wet and then they're dry when you come back to them.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Why does wet stuff dry? Say, you leave dishes slightly wet and then they're dry when you come back to them.

Because the water evaporates and then leaves the object. This is also why clothes dry faster in open air than indoors (assuming similar ambient temperatures) and in sunlight than without.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

It's been said already, evaporation.

A caution. Leaving dishes to air dry can leave bacteria on the dish.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

1702489546307.png

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

That reminds me of a thread in the past.

I think it was titled , "why are things wet" that thread turned out to be really interesting from something that came across as pretty lame at first glance.

In short, it has to do with atomic bonding and energy.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Each water molecule is always moving, bouncing off of the others; but these molecules are also slightly sticky. This stickiness is caused by two very quick and temporary bonds: "Dipole-dipole" and "London dispersion forces." Always some of the molecules are breaking free and getting mixed into the air; but the ones in air are also quick to return to any liquid water that is nearby. There is constant traffic back and forth between the water and the air with water going into the air and air going into the water. The molecules mix a little bit. Drying happens when the air is warm enough to absorb all the water and keep the molecules bouncing in the air and keep them from sticking together too much.