• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the Quran direct Muslims to Bible?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If the bible is corrupted as Muslims say, then where is the Islamic version of the bible that provide correction to the scriptures?

The answer is - there are none.

Certainly not as such. My understanding is that Muslims don't usually see such a revised version of the Bible as needed, since the Quran supposedly updates and supercedes it.

The Qur'an doesn't provide any correction that we can compare against any verse of any book or letter of either the Hebrew or Christian scriptures, because the Qur'an is a completely different scripture.

I believe that to be accurate, although of course there will be an endless stream of claims and refutations anyway.

For example, the Genesis narrated from the creation of man to the death of Jacob's son, Joseph. The Qur'an only provide brief summary, often disjointed.

If anything, the Qur'an is the one that provide corrupted biblical narratives, sometimes even more wildly exaggerated than the originals.

Like for example, Solomon's ability. In 1 Kings 3, Solomon prayed for divinely-inspired wisdom, so that he can rule wisely, and have the ability to distinguish a lie from the truth. Through his wisdom, his kingdom prospered more so than in his father's reign. But in the Qur'an, Solomon become a parody of Doctor Dolittle, in which he speak and understand the languages of birds and ants.

So it is impossible to compare the bible and the Qur'an, because they are nothing alike.

To be fair, I must point out that this is probably overstating the importance - or for that matter, the very capability - for accuracy in either text. I fully doubt either was ever meant to be taken so literally, much less that either can stand up to such a demand.

gnostic

The Lost One
LuisDantas said:
Certainly not as such. My understanding is that Muslims don't usually see such a revised version of the Bible as needed, since the Quran supposedly updates and supercedes it.

And that the reason why I think their whole idea of the bible being corrupted to be utterly baseless.

Yes, there are parts in the Qur'an that the stories better than the bible and there are other parts that contained better knowledge, law or wisdom, but they are far and between, and I definitely wouldn't say Qur'an is superior to the bible.

Different, yes. Superior, yes-and-no.

Their version of the biblical narratives in the Qur'an are often retold in poor imitation, and often confusing and disjointed.

LuisDantas said:
To be fair, I must point out that this is probably overstating the importance - or for that matter, the very capability - for accuracy in either text. I fully doubt either was ever meant to be taken so literally, much less that either can stand up to such a demand.
Of course.

I not the believer of either the Bible or the Qur'an, I am just saying that the Qur'an's version to Solomon is more exaggerated and even less believable than the Bible's version, when it say that Solomon can speak and command birds like soldiers, or communicate with ants. It is much as a myth or fable, as the Genesis' talking serpent or Balaam's talking donkey.

If we were to take either literally, their credibilities would plunge into sinkhole.

Last edited:

Draupadi

This is a question for the muslim posters mainly but others may join in. I have noticed that a lot of muslims posters seem to be of the opinion that the bible (hebrew and greek scriptures) are not to be viewed as the Word of God...that the text is compromised and untrustworthy.

However, i'd like to ask what the opinion is on these verses from the Quran which encourages the use of the bible?

Āl ‘Imrān [3]:3, 4, NJD: “He has revealed to you the Book with the truth, confirming the scriptures which preceded it; for He has already revealed the Torah and the Gospel [Injīl in Arabic] for the guidance of men.”

Al-Mā’idah [5]:46, 47: And in their footsteps, We sent 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), confirming the Taurat (Torah) that had come before him, and We gave him the Injeel (Gospel), in which was guidance and light and confirmation of the Taurat (Torah) that had come before it, a guidance and an admonition for Al-Muttaqun (the pious)

Yūnus [10]:94.“If thou wert in doubt as to what We have revealed unto thee, then ask those who have been reading the Book from before thee.”

It seems to me that the Quran is endorsing the use of the holy bible rather then trying to correct its teachings. I'd like to know where this idea that the bible needed correcting comes from?

And if the bible was falsified 'later' as muslims claim, then when is 'later'? It must have been before Mohammads time, otherwise he would not have come and declared that it had been changed... but then if it was before Mohammad, why would the Quran (which was written AFTER Mohammads time) direct people to the bible?

This all seems very contradictory to me. :(

I think the original and uncorrupted version was meant in the Quran. There is a possibility that it might be discovered. Or that is what I thought as a Muslim.

Draupadi

The Qur'an only provide brief summary, often disjointed.

You must know Gnostic that the Quran is meant to be a book of law more than book of complete stories. It does refer to few stories, both complete and partial, but that is again to teach the laws.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
This is a question for the muslim posters mainly but others may join in.

To be honest with you ma'am, what really matters to me is that Islam direct us to Judaism and Christianity and their books, period.

The Quraan is complicated in context, but not in direct verse meaning. Sometimes it praises Jews and Christians, and some times it blames them. That is not a contradiction, as the blame only takes place for things specifically done, something that happens, the blame, even to Muslims, and generally to all humankind.