• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does science have to explain everything?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Just reading through

There are some things I just don't care to have the answer to

For example several studies on how we find a mate.
Studies proving that there is no factor for violence under the full moon.
Studies proving that more people die of a heart attack when there team loses the super bowl.

You could probably name ten more.

Scientists have studies for everything in the universe and a lot of it unnecessary. Why not let people use there imagination for some things.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You could probably name ten more.

Scientists have studies for everything in the universe and a lot of it unnecessary. Why not let people use there imagination for some things.
It puts a paycheque in their pocket. And they're human.

Seriously, I assign little more significance to it, but then I'm far removed from what they see themselves doing.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It puts a paycheque in their pocket. And they're human.

Seriously, I assign little more significance to it, but then I'm far removed from what they see themselves doing.

It just fascinates me that we have to apply reason to everything. There has to be a philosophy behind it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Okay, now I'm curious. What distinction are you making?

Reason is the soul of philosophy.

I see philosophy as the muse of life. Reason is a result of certain philosophies. Some philosophies are not reasonable at all.

Erebus

Woahhhh, back the truck up. I have never condoned demonising the other side to win a debate. That IMHO is a Liberal tactic.

Why can't science ever just say, "we don't know for sure"?

There are many honest scientists and then there are folks who data mine for information that agree with their theory and disregard any conflicting facts.

I maybe went a little overboard in my rant, happens from time to time :eek:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Because love is explainable by science, just not to those who don't want to hear it.

Psychology is a science only insofar as when it applies biology or chemistry; the other "schematic" stuff is pretty bogus.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Scientist are going so far as trying to determine how we fall in love. Someone actually has an Idea for using science to determine or moral standards.

Why is this?

Why does science feel the need to explain every part of our life from are earliest begining to our ultimate end?

Any thoughts appreciated.
But what is wrong in knowing love is the result of a release of a few chemicals in the brain? Or that morals are solely based in what society thinks is right or wrong?

dust1n

Zindīq
I think there should be a room for philosophy to take a place. Science is all about matters, whilst our life is not all about matters.

Philosophy is becoming more and more a science as logic is better refined and understood. It's logic that creates the map for computer processing. When I took a philosophy class in 2007, we had to learn to work out 'thought experiments'.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there should be a room for philosophy to take a place. Science is all about matters, whilst our life is not all about matters.

True, but philosophy doesn't explain so much as it proposes possibilities.

SLAMH

Philosophy is becoming more and more a science as logic is better refined and understood. It's logic that creates the map for computer processing. When I took a philosophy class in 2007, we had to learn to work out 'thought experiments'.

Philosophy is an act of rationalizing which can be used in every field of life. Sometimes I see religions as being a part of philosophy, though, I agree with you.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I was reading a few threads of people seening aliens and demons and a few scientist chimed in that this is XXXXXXX.

Scientist are going so far as trying to determine how we fall in love. Someone actually has an Idea for using science to determine or moral standards.

Why is this?

Why does science feel the need to explain every part of our life from are earliest begining to our ultimate end?

Any thoughts appreciated.

They would like to think they could try and explain everything, but if they truly understood that then I don't think the majority would be Atheists.

It is a great thing though, and constantly evolving. You learn from what kills you :D

dust1n

Zindīq
Philosophy is an act of rationalizing which can be used in every field of life. Sometimes I see religions as being a part of philosophy, though, I agree with you.

I agree with your thinking about philosophy. Religions are a part of philosophy; theology actually, and theology falls under metaphysics. It's still quite reasonable to take both science and philosophy with a few grains of salt.