• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does poetry communicate so clearly?

Then I have to say that you underestimate the power of the ratifier.

Perhaps, as I said, I don't think it is possible to be completely objective about what meaning I take from a piece of writing, and despite our amazing and prolific ability to communicate quite complicated ideas, it is also impossible to fully understand exactly what meaning someone else is taking from a piece of writing either.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Perhaps, as I said, I don't think it is possible to be completely objective about what meaning I take from a piece of writing, and despite our amazing and prolific ability to communicate quite complicated ideas, it is also impossible to fully understand exactly what meaning someone else is taking from a piece of writing either.
I agree.
And I will even take it so far as to say that in say ten or fifteen or twenty years you will get a different meaning out of that same poem.