• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does it Bother Some People?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why does it bother some theists that some people do not believe in god(s)?

Why does it bother some non-theists that some people believe in god(s)?

I've come to believe that for those people, it is a social learning disability. It seems just so hardwired and set. I've had discussions with quite a few people on here, and in real life, who simply could not give an inch. Whether it's a defense mechanism, a form of low end of the spectrum autism, or some other diagnosis, it's always befuddled me. You meet so many people who are just not like that ... totally able to consider that there is indeed diversity in thought process.

As a guidance counsellor, I dealt with teachers who were thrown several professional diagnoses about a particular student it would make your head spin. Family doctors, district psychiatrists, other teachers, administration, and myself from observation, all said the same thing ... that a certain child actually learned at a slower rate, and would learn just as well by doing less rote exercise. But the teacher adamantly and stubbornly disagreed ... why? Because it was unfair to other students to expect less work from one. Parents finally moved the kid to a new school.

But when 'manure' becomes that hardwired, there has to be a reason. I have no other explanation that it's a learning disability, and the rest of us have unrealistic expectations because of it. Better to give up the discussion quickly (maybe after 3 or 4 rigid fixed comments) than to continue some ridiculous discussion that will surely end nowhere.

sealchan

I've come to believe that for those people, it is a social learning disability. It seems just so hardwired and set. I've had discussions with quite a few people on here, and in real life, who simply could not give an inch. Whether it's a defense mechanism, a form of low end of the spectrum autism, or some other diagnosis, it's always befuddled me. You meet so many people who are just not like that ... totally able to consider that there is indeed diversity in thought process.

As a guidance counsellor, I dealt with teachers who were thrown several professional diagnoses about a particular student it would make your head spin. Family doctors, district psychiatrists, other teachers, administration, and myself from observation, all said the same thing ... that a certain child actually learned at a slower rate, and would learn just as well by doing less rote exercise. But the teacher adamantly and stubbornly disagreed ... why? Because it was unfair to other students to expect less work from one. Parents finally moved the kid to a new school.

But when 'manure' becomes that hardwired, there has to be a reason. I have no other explanation that it's a learning disability, and the rest of us have unrealistic expectations because of it. Better to give up the discussion quickly (maybe after 3 or 4 rigid fixed comments) than to continue some ridiculous discussion that will surely end nowhere.

Such "social learning disabilities" can result from local cultural attitudes. They may also arise in part from abusive family and cultural conditions. Then there is the psychology of authority which replaces research with decisions made based on the single individual's personal and professional experience/opinion. Dialog and new inquiry often doesn't fit into the perceived job description or scope of one's responsibility. That is a widespread cultural attitude I think.

How many human interactions are lowered because we are all too busy or too disinterested to engage in a process which might create mutual understanding, new knowledge and perceive the individual as a..well, individual?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Along with the illusion of free will comes a sense of self-righteousness - not just in religion, but in all social interaction.

taykair

Perhaps there is a part of ourselves which desires that everyone else should have what we have. We want others to be as fulfilled and happy (or as depressed and miserable, take your pick) as we are.

I remember a conversation with my dad many years ago. I was railing against someone at work with whom I wasn't getting along. As I was listing the man's faults, I noticed my dad's smile getting bigger and bigger.

"What is it? Why are you smiling?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing really," he answered. "I was just thinking how wonderful the world would be if everyone could be just like me."

After that, I shut up. And, much later in life, I learned to accept.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It doesn't bother me at all what anyone believes.
BUT what does bother me is when they try to impose on me their dogma based on their belief in an invisible being. So abortion, same sex marriage, schools, etc. should be evidence based not faith based.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

For some, it seems to be due to an inability to accept that people can have different values and goals.

Others have apparently come to believe (perhaps due to a form of Stockholm's Syndrome by way of nurture) that humanity needs god-belief not to fall into some form of terrible emotional state.

In my case it is not so much the belief proper, but the situation of lending it value.

In so doing, people renounce a measure of their own worth and responsibility. Often enough they even expect others to feel duty-bound to enable them in doing so and pay the price.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For some, it seems to be due to an inability to accept that people can have different values and goals.

Others have apparently come to believe (perhaps due to a form of Stockholm's Syndrome by way of nurture) that humanity needs god-belief not to fall into some form of terrible emotional state.
Speaking of need: I do think that for religious people who sincerely believe that god-belief is absolutely necessary, having a bunch of people treating it like it’s optional is a threat to their beliefs... especially if those people are doing perfectly fine.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Speaking of need: I do think that for religious people who sincerely believe that god-belief is absolutely necessary, having a bunch of people treating it like it’s optional is a threat to their beliefs... especially if those people are doing perfectly fine.
I agree.

I also think that it does not speak well of those creeds that those people are so ill equipped to deal with such a predictable occurrence.