• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God allow Trials??

kreative37

JustBelieve
A friend of mine came to me and said, "God saved me from a car crash today, but later allowed me to injure my leg at work. Why would he save me from one thing, but not another?"
This is what I sent him in a message and had to share it with you too. :)

Here is my personal testimony, take it as you will...
I know and believe that life is a blessing from God. I believe we are all his children. I believe we are all sent here to be tested and to learn to follow him and grow from a baby to an adult with all the life lessons we can to be the greatest we can one day. I also believe that as his children he allows us (like all good parents) to make mistakes, to fall down, to hurt our leg, to experience trials. Because it is from pain and heartache, and working out that we grow muscles or grow our spirit and become wiser and more like God would have us be. He gives us agency. And because of this agency he does not force us to do anything. He loves us and lets us govern ourselves. As a parent myself I know this. And this has been a recent discovery for myself that I can relate to.
So when you ask God, "Why would you save me from one harm, but not from another?" Well he is the most greatest, most all knowing God. He knows the trials that you need to grow and become wiser. It seems funny that he may use a leg issue to help your spirit grow. We cannot comprehend the way trials work. But as humans have children. We the parents knows what is best for them. We know that our children must be left a lone when it comes to learning to walk. If we hold there hand the entire time, every time they will not learn to do it on their own. But we let them go, we let them fall, we let them bruise their knee. Because its all apart of life. We must experience pain, to know the greater joy. And we will never understand why we go through even greater challenges in life.... like a huge one... cancer.... Our lives do not end here. They do go on is my testimony. Many trials are beyond us and are so "unfair" but they humble our hearts, if we let them. God will never give us trials we can not handle. I have been taught this in my faith. And I know it. He loves us. But he also loves us enough to let us fall so we can grow and experience all forms of happiness from being stronger and wiser as He wishes for us.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you for sharing your testimony. I find people who love God really see the positive light in this painful world.

As for me, I see God differently than I read from your post. I believe God is life and everything, living and not makes up God. Hence, the pain I went through via my brain surgery and illness Im still going through are all causes by the causes of others. We are all connected and whatever we do in someway influences someone else. So, what I go through was meant to be as how God, in how I see life, work. We are blessed in itself. The leg injury will heal as nature provides its own cure.

Id say, if God is an entity, that He Is life and how He works through us has no good or bad but perfect balance. As long as your friend takes care of herself, that is God doing His work through her, her friends, her family, and people all.

Take care of yourselves

A friend of mine came to me and said, "God saved me from a car crash today, but later allowed me to injure my leg at work. Why would he save me from one thing, but not another?"

I know and believe that life is a blessing from God. I believe we are all his children. I believe we are all sent here to be tested and to learn to follow him and grow from a baby to an adult with all the life lessons we can to be the greatest we can one day. I also believe that as his children he allows us (like all good parents) to make mistakes, to fall down, to hurt our leg, to experience trials. Because it is from pain and heartache, and working out that we grow muscles or grow our spirit and become wiser and more like God would have us be. He gives us agency. And because of this agency he does not force us to do anything. He loves us and lets us govern ourselves. As a parent myself I know this. And this has been a recent discovery for myself that I can relate to.
So when you ask God, "Why would you save me from one harm, but not from another?" Well he is the most greatest, most all knowing God. He knows the trials that you need to grow and become wiser. It seems funny that he may use a leg issue to help your spirit grow. We cannot comprehend the way trials work. But as humans have children. We the parents knows what is best for them. We know that our children must be left a lone when it comes to learning to walk. If we hold there hand the entire time, every time they will not learn to do it on their own. But we let them go, we let them fall, we let them bruise their knee. Because its all apart of life. We must experience pain, to know the greater joy. And we will never understand why we go through even greater challenges in life.... like a huge one... cancer.... Our lives do not end here. They do go on is my testimony. Many trials are beyond us and are so "unfair" but they humble our hearts, if we let them. God will never give us trials we can not handle. I have been taught this in my faith. And I know it. He loves us. But he also loves us enough to let us fall so we can grow and experience all forms of happiness from being stronger and wiser as He wishes for us.

kreative37

JustBelieve
Thank you for sharing your testimony. I find people who love God really see the positive light in this painful world.

As for me, I see God differently than I read from your post. I believe God is life and everything, living and not makes up God. Hence, the pain I went through via my brain surgery and illness Im still going through are all causes by the causes of others. We are all connected and whatever we do in someway influences someone else. So, what I go through was meant to be as how God, in how I see life, work. We are blessed in itself. The leg injury will heal as nature provides its own cure.

Id say, if God is an entity, that He Is life and how He works through us has no good or bad but perfect balance. As long as your friend takes care of herself, that is God doing His work through her, her friends, her family, and people all.

Take care of yourselves

You very much enhanced my post. Thank you!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Nice post. I also happen to believe we live as individual souls for many lives and afterlives and any suffering are really temporary and short in our cosmic journey of eons.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
This is a post-hoc rationalization of a belief that you can't let go.

But sure.... Whatever floats your canoe.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is what I sent in a message and had to share it with you too. :)

I find it offensive that you would try to spin something as awful as cancer into something good.

If you really thought that adversity is test from God that people benefit from, why would you say that your friend was "saved" from a car crash? Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that God deprived your opportunity to be "tested"?

Also, I find it strange how God is fickle with his "tests". For instance, doesn't it strike you as odd that God would choose to seriously cut back on how much he used scurvy to "test" people right at the time humans figured out how to treat the condition? Why would that be? What is it about human beings discovering vitamin C (and vitamin C deficiency) made God say "yeah... I know scurvy has been really useful to me so far, but I'm going to stop using it now"?

kreative37

JustBelieve
^ Contradictory and condescending crap.

I truly believe that everyone has power over themselves to choose to be happy and positive in any circumstance. I've seen it. and I've experienced it. The majority of people really struggle to stay positive in their trials. But when I stay positive, I always get through it and grow from it. Its just how life is. You struggle, you endure, you grow. OR You struggle, you quit, you become full of resentment and hostility. Everyone has power to choose for them self. All athletes know it takes pain and endurance to grow and achieve great things. Trials are the same way. Most do not see it. and most hate it. I know I hate my trials too. But when I choose to see them not as obstacles but as stepping stones, I ALWAYS grow :) <3

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I truly believe that everyone has power over themselves to choose to be happy and positive in any circumstance.
... which makes the attitude expressed no less shallow, no less arrogant, no less condescending, no less insensitive and, most importantly, no more valid.

kreative37

JustBelieve
Would you ever allow your child to be seriously injured or hurt in order to teach them a lesson?

I guide them the absolute best I can and love them the best I can. I can only say and do so much. When parents grab their child and try forcing them to do this do that, dont go there dont go here... We know most kids are driven further away in rebellion anyways. God doesn't control others daily choices., but we make their own decisions and we all make our own mistakes. This is my belief.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
hunger1-4eee0a230affe.jpg

Buck up, laddies. Just remember:

"Many trials are beyond us and are so "unfair" but they humble our hearts, if we let them. God will never give us trials we can not handle."

Skwim

Veteran Member
I find people who love God really see the positive light in this painful world.
And I find the same people conveniently (purposely?) overlooking all the misery he allows to go on. "Latest figures show that 9.2 million children under-five are dying every year," (source: World Health Organization). Yet they love him just the same. Would you honestly love anyone who perpetrated such a calamity? Why, because he says you should?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I truly believe that everyone has power over themselves to choose to be happy and positive in any circumstance. I've seen it. and I've experienced it. The majority of people really struggle to stay positive in their trials. But when I stay positive, I always get through it and grow from it. Its just how life is. You struggle, you endure, you grow. OR You struggle, you quit, you become full of resentment and hostility. Everyone has power to choose for them self.
There's a hair's breadth from this sentiment to blaming the sufferer from their suffering.

From what I've experienced myself and seen in those around me, it seems that this attitude more often hurts than helps in a crisis. IMO, the faithless and the faithful suffer from grief, pain, and depression roughly the same, but the faithful - or at least those faithful who have bought what you're selling - tend to get an extra layer of pain from the shame of feeling that their faith isn't strong enough, and that their depression is a sign of lack of trust in God. It's insidious.

All athletes know it takes pain and endurance to grow and achieve great things. Trials are the same way. Most do not see it. and most hate it. I know I hate my trials too. But when I choose to see them not as obstacles but as stepping stones, I ALWAYS grow :) <3
Not everyone grows in every circumstance. People can be damaged by their ordeals, and this "you grow through your trials" stuff can interfere with healing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
And I find the same people conveniently (purposely?) overlooking all the misery he allows to go on. "Latest figures show that 9.2 million children under-five are dying every year," (source: World Health Organization). Yet they love him just the same. Would you honestly love anyone who perpetrated such a calamity? Why, because he says you should?
Em. I appreciate people who see the light in faith even though I see two sides equally extreme. Pagans have had their share of killing; yet, I see the beauty in pre abrahamic faiths and their traditions and culture that make it up.

Id never, and have never, worshiped God. I do not have love for someone who finds it benefitial to take land from women, children, and men because of lack of belief. Yet, believers see that as a teaching of obedience in faith. I agree that obedience and discipline to follow our faiths are important. We just disagree on the source.

That, and to think of God as a real entity to express disaproval of as if He can hear it and punish me is odd. The concept of a belevolent God killing people to show love is not right in concept. No one is hurt by this "belief." So, Id put my attention on those who abuse people based on this faith not attack the faith itself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do yall even understand and care about the sentiment in the OP?

God does not give us (in her faith not many of ours) more than we can handle. We have a lot of trials and they are not caused by outside beings. People are connected with each other. We affect each other in many ways. Our bodies are not meant to live forever. We are born, we grow, we age, we pass. My body was not "meant" or had a purpose to have epilepsy. Yet, it is normal that there are imperfections of the body that sometimes are out of our control. Epilepsy has no cure. It can only be treated.

I have a friend with cancer who is married to her beautiful wife and two kids she never thought she would have if her cancer went out of remission. I have another friend who is legally blind. She has no periphial vision ans blind in one eye. She had a stroke as a child and a congenetial heart defect. She is a miracle baby. Yet, her faith has gotten her through all her surgeries. Like affirmations, beliefs can be life saviors.

Why is it right (not logical) to tell anyone that they should see God as vengeful. If that person sees God as love, let him. It doesnt hurt them, why make it worse?

kreative37

JustBelieve
I find it offensive that you would try to spin something as awful as cancer into something good.

If you really thought that adversity is test from God that people benefit from, why would you say that your friend was "saved" from a car crash? Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that God deprived your opportunity to be "tested"?"

I truly feel that God knows us perfectly and loves us perfectly and can help us get through anything with prayer and patience. But he knows which trials will help us grow (small and large).
We never know really what its like to be married until we are married, we never know what its like to be a parent until we are a parent, we do not know and understand the All knowing God and the things and ways he sees things for us. If you are a parent, you know that as a parent, we have to let our child learn things in ways they don't agree with because only the parent understands and see the bigger picture or the whole picture when the child does not at all. We let our child learn to sleep on their own and go through hard fussy nights so as they are older they are healthier and get more rest etc etc this is just an example. We let our kids play outside and sometimes they climb up a tree they shouldn't have, and fall and break their arm. We love them and take them to the hospital to get it wrapped and help them as much as we can. It does NOT make us a bad parent. Neither does it make God a bad parent. That little boy who climbed the tree probably won't ever climb that tree again until he's stronger and much smarter and will likely have much more success next time around. God loves us and will always help us through things if we turn to him during the hard times. This is my testimony.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Are the very young kids that die of cancer, or are killed in some other way, tested too?

If not, assuming that they go to Heaven, why are they so privileged?

Ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I truly feel that God knows us perfectly and loves us perfectly and can help us get through anything with prayer and patience. But he knows which trials will help us grow (small and large).
We never know really what its like to be married until we are married, we never know what its like to be a parent until we are a parent, we do not know and understand the All knowing God and the things and ways he sees things for us.
...yet you assume he's good, despite saying that you don't know or understand him. Why?

If you are a parent, you know that as a parent, we have to let our child learn things in ways they don't agree with because only the parent understands and see the bigger picture or the whole picture when the child does not at all. We let our child learn to sleep on their own and go through hard fussy nights so as they are older they are healthier and get more rest etc etc this is just an example. We let our kids play outside and sometimes they climb up a tree they shouldn't have, and fall and break their arm. We love them and take them to the hospital to get it wrapped and help them as much as we can. It does NOT make us a bad parent. Neither does it make God a bad parent. That little boy who climbed the tree probably won't ever climb that tree again until he's stronger and much smarter and will likely have much more success next time around.
There are limits, though. I bet you kept the bleach out of reach of your toddlers, right?

Most parents I know, if given the option between letting their child learn a valuable lesson without breaking a limb or letting their child learn the lesson and break a limb, they'll pick the one with the fewer broken bones. Your god doesn't, apparently. Why?
God loves us and will always help us through things if we turn to him during the hard times.
And if we don't turn to him, we're SOL?

This is my testimony.
Why do you keep making these sorts of statements? I'm not sure what you're trying to express.