• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Genesis 3:16 have a lasting effect?

Ellen Brown

As a Feminist, it puzzles me that certain scripture still have an effect in spite of the fact that we say they don't.

There is Genesis 3:16 and the whole Judaeo/Christian culture seems to continue to prolong it, as do the Muslims, sometimes to extremes. And, most married women that I know seem to defer to the husband in most important matters. The Bible is full of scripture that assume female submission, and in the NT, it is ordered. In modern western culture, most of the male authority is abrogated, and because of my own very rough beginnings, I'd say it's about time.

In good marriages, I'd call this mutual cooperation, though some men carry it too far. I suppose one could say that. In bad, or failed marriages men can be very dangerous. Though, I have seen other women be extremely vindictive and even evil.

Is this merely Anthropology, or is this ordained by our Creator?

I've recently renewed my commitment to Christianity, though remain very sympathetic toward Muslims.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
As a Feminist, it puzzles me that certain scripture still have an effect in spite of the fact that we say they don't.

There is Genesis 3:16 and the whole Judaeo/Christian culture seems to continue to prolong it, as do the Muslims, sometimes to extremes. And, most married women that I know seem to defer to the husband in most important matters. The Bible is full of scripture that assume female submission, and in the NT, it is ordered. In modern western culture, most of the male authority is abrogated, and because of my own very rough beginnings, I'd say it's about time.

In good marriages, I'd call this mutual cooperation, though some men carry it too far. I suppose one could say that. In bad, or failed marriages men can be very dangerous. Though, I have seen other women be extremely vindictive and even evil.

I've recently renewed my commitment to Christianity, though remain very sympathetic toward Muslims.

Hello. I would like to recommend a book that touches on this:

'The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church's Conservative Icon'

In a nutshell, the view of Borg & Crossan is that the real Paul was actually very 'progressive' (radical) including his view of women. It was later church leaders/figures that tamed the message down to conform to the Roman cultural power structure that resulted in the very anti-women sentiments seen in, for example, 1 Timothy (most scholars today do not think Paul wrote it as tradition holds).

Both of those authors have had a huge influence on me. Crossan's latest book ' How to read the Bible and still be a Christian' is a must read!!

Peace

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think, because of today's misuse, submission is misunderstood on both sides.

As you said, it is suppose to be a mutual cooperation:

In Ephesians 5 it starts by saying:

Instructions for Christian Households
21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

There is the mutual cooperation. Each submitting to the other. Submitting would be defined as "Be the more giving person by taking on the desires of the other willingly" (my statement)

how does the husband do it?

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Authority is at its apex when it is used to try to please the wife. In other words, they are not suppose to be a dictator but use their authority by serving her to the best of his ability

How does the wife do it? Not hard if the husband is trying to please her

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.

As each of us have to willingly follow Jesus, wives are doing their effort to be in agreement with the husband who is trying to lay down his life for her.

A practical application:

Wife: "Honey, I'm going to wash the dishes"
Husband: "NO, bella, it's my turn to serve you. I'm washing the dishes"
Wife: "But honey, I WANT to wash the dishes while you sit and enjoy a cup of coffee".
Husband: "Pumpkin, you cooked and I am washing. Please willingly take on my desires since I'm called to lay down my life for you (submission on both sides) and take a load off of your feet".

Now... THAT is a great fight! :D

Milton Platt

It's a combination of nature and nurture.

ukok102nak

:smoke: and becaused
Many , to this day, believe that what you eat and crave for during pregnancy has a direct influence on the physical attributes of the baby. However, scientific studies prove that there is no link between
Pregnancy Cravings and the unborn baby's physical attributes.
As Genetics tell us, our physical attributes are inherited from our parents' and grandparents'
set of genes and not from food cravings.
but gen 3:16 is all about punishment of the lord god
for their betrayal of trust against him
that's why as it is written
:read:
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
Genesis 3:16 KJVA

surely someone would misunderstood this passage in the scriptures of the holy bible
somehow some men couldn't think of something is existed unto women's previlages
such as a greatly respect towards her gender that she had no desire of any betrayal
unto her husband because her will equal to man's will
therefore
a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
none of any man's rule could provoke her
for the greatly respect which is given unto her equal every man's right
that multiply each and every day of their life for being a women and a man who equally possessed every right to live as one without anyone ruling over unto each other existent
also
no greatly sorrow in Pregnancy Cravings and again no sorrow would come when she's in multiplication table este what we meant is greatly her time when she's in go for action everytime she wants to be with adam but no one shall force her if she doesn't want to be with someone even unto the likes of the serpent when shw was accompanied by this beast in the field
while she's in the garden during that existing period of her existent
and
no greatly sorrow everytime she bring forth children
especially no malice nor sexual abuse or any greatly sorrow would come towards her gender
as a women because she is a being to be keep safe and sound always
and
remember all this until the day and night
no longer existed unto this realm or until this paradise remain
as the pure reflection of reality that is to come
long before the women eve was been judge for her misconduct
as it is written
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so , I would have told you.
I go to prepare a place for you.
John 14:2 KJVA

unlike what happens in this present time of ours where a forced ****ed is always rewarded unto those females who greatly multiply their sorrow and were ashamed
by those sex maniacs men who couldn't afford to respect the differences between genders
and
as they say humans will always strive for what they've loss
because of being unworthy for the trust of our lord god who is good and who doesn't lie
but
if we may say so how anyone could put their trust unto their own kind
when something is greatly multiply that cannot be trusted
as we speak of this a portion of every sorrowful memories were been told to you and me and unto every existing lives who endure this very punishment of god
but again if not proven worthy then death is the next existing reasons why everything lived
only for themselves and it is just an act of true writings
according to the things that are written
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother,
and shall cleave unto his wife:
and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife,
and were not ashamed.
Genesis 2:24‭-‬25 KJVA

senseless as they say
for not being selfish unto every good works should be the list to expect from this theory
which is written below (we only speak what weve heard and what we've seen)
:handpointdown:

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I think it’s fair to say that neither Judaism, Christianity nor Islam have a great track record when it comes to the equality of men and women. Then again their theologies are somewhat bound by the historic circumstances where they arose.

ukok102nak

:smoke: at such and such a time
in all such instances, let conscience be your guide.
as it is written
Thou that dwellest in the gardens,
the companions hearken to thy voice: cause me to hear it .
Song of Solomon 8:13 KJVA

Blessed is he whose conscience hath not condemned him,
and who is not fallen from his hope in the Lord.
Ecclesiasticus 14:2 KJVA

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

The way I see it, each age views Scripture in a deeper light. Today we see the curses in Genesis NOT as things that SHOULD be but merely things that ARE, and need to be fixed. IOW we should try to restore the Garden. Who would argue against women being given aid for pain in childbirth? Or farmers using tractors to help reduce labor?

Equality of women is coming: it's birth pains have already begun. "in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."