• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you NOT believe the Bible?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
BTW, some Baptists do believe that John the Baptist founded the Baptist tradition.
Only those who don't do their homework.

I had a conversation with a Baptist deacon about three decades ago who did his research paper on this topic to finalize his degree, and he says it really is a bogus claim. There simply is no single group of "Baptists", by that name or any other, that can trace it back anywhere near that far.

BTW, he eventually left the church.

buddhist

Only those who don't do their homework.

I had a conversation with a Baptist deacon about three decades ago who did his research paper on this topic to finalize his degree, and he says it really is a bogus claim. There simply is no single group of "Baptists", by that name or any other, that can trace it back anywhere near that far.

BTW, he eventually left the church.
They can point to the Bible, showing John the Baptist baptizing.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I personally see the so called bible as a book with many peoples idea's of what or how they understood god or their chosen god man at their particular time, just like all religions, and that is all it is.

I believe that means that it is your personal preference.

Muffled

Jesus in me
My main problem: I was not there when its various books were originally written, and so I cannot personally verify anything within it, including any of it's alleged stories, alleged claims, or alleged "prophetic fulfillments".

I believe God was there. So in order to verify the Bible you would need God to do so.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I havent read it. Moreover I have a philosophical Predisposition against belief in god as a materialist which means reading the bible is unlikely to change that- at least in one complete reading from cover to cover.

I think I would have to read alot of Christian philosophers to be convinced to reject materialism specifically and then to essentially convert to Christianity. it would be a long term process and as yet I do not have the motivation to undertake it.

I think thats the fairest, most honest response I can give. :)
I believe my wife was like that until she encountered a demon. Then spiritual entities became a reality for her. I don't suggest you try that. Read John 3 instead.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I would love to have a conversation with some people about why they do NOT believe the Bible. I believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God but am looking for the arguments against the Bible.
Because when I was a child, I learned about "Once upon a time..." And there it is, in the Bible: "In the beginning..."

Muffled

Jesus in me
Because when I was a child, I learned about "Once upon a time..." And there it is, in the Bible: "In the beginning..."
I believe that is false. In the beginning does not equate to once upon a time. Also God speaking does not equate to fiction. So my view is that you never became mature and still think everything is just a fable.

Shad

Veteran Member
I would love to have a conversation with some people about why they do NOT believe the Bible. I believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God but am looking for the arguments against the Bible.

Simply put the text is hard to shallow as a code of morality without carrying the presupposition "inspired Word of God and baggage". God become merely an excuse for people to commit horrors on other humans as if sanctioned as the right thing to do. For example genocide is wrong, except when God says it is okay.

I didn't read every post, so I don't know if anyone referenced the prophecies in Daniel that are so precise that most claim they were written after the fact. But history is very interesting here. Alexander the Great did not lay siege to Jerusalem after they came and showed him the prophecies concerning himself. He was so impressed that he built the city of Alexandria in Egypt, established a library there and had Greek scholars with the aid of seventy some Hebrew scribes to translate the Bible from Hebrew to Greek.

The prophecies in Daniel have been spot on in predicting the last 2600 years of earth history.

Another interesting fact: Jesus told the Christians that when they saw the abomination that would cause desolation they should leave the city. The Romans came and set up their pagan standards in the outskirts of the city in an area that was not to be occupied by outsiders on the Sabbath. Traders came close to the city so they could rush in as soon as the Sabbath had ended. So setting up their Romans standards was an abomination. The Romans were there to besiege the city. However a death of the emperor in Rome caused the general in charge to abandon the siege to return to Rome in his quest to become emperor. When they left the Christians as Christ told them fled the city. The Romans returned a short time later and slaughtered an estimated one million Jews that occupied the city. The Jews fought to the last man because as now they believe they are a special people of God. God said they were his chosen people. Satan put in their minds that a chosen people meant a special people. The "chosen" was a reference to a job they had been chosen to do. They were supposed to introduce a loving God to the world.

JEREMIAH 13 : 11 "For as a belt is bound around a man's waist, so I bound the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah to me,' declares the Lord, 'to be my people for my renown and praise and honor. But they have not listened.'"

TPaine

I believe in one God, and the equality of man.
That is interesting, how would you respond to the argument that there were some things written in the bible about the future that there was no way that they could have known when that particular section was written?

Also, what do you think about the fact that all of the theology and the message is consistent throughout the bible despite being written by 40 people over 2,000 years?
Hi HKenyon welcome to the site,
The message is far from consistent throughout the Bible. There are 194 contradictions in the New Testament alone. Jewish experts in the Hebrew Tanakh say that some of what is found in the New Testament is based on misinterpretation of the Hebrew.

ArtieE

The fact that a few of the larger chunks of Christianity have managed to mostly stave off further fracturing through - AFAICT - nothing more than sheer human will and bureaucracy says nothing about the issue that the fragmentary nature of Christianity puts the spotlight on: if the Bible really was God's communication to humanity and the Church really is guided by God, Christians would be expected to generally agree on core issues.
If "the Bible" really is God's communication to humanity and "the Church" really is guided by God, how come there are six different Bibles containing anywhere from 24 to 81 books? And how come some books are split up and some are joined and some differ from Bible to Bible and so on? http://www.bessel.org/bibles.htm

Ben Avraham

I do believe the Bible but the Tanach. The NT is too much on the anti-Jewish side of the coin. I have read the whole of the NT and that's the reason why I speak thus.