• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we keep fighting about who is right and who is wrong?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Each spiritual teaching holds it's truth, the truth realized by the founder, but we as practitioners see only the truth we our self realizing through practicing the teaching we chose to learn and understand, as long we are practicing we can not see or understand the teaching on a higher wisdom level. But only up to the level we our self has realized.

1: So why do we keep telling others they are wrong? Does our own understanding become the only right because we believe in that teaching?
2: Should we not be more focused on our own path? And not about what others follow or believe in?
3: can it be that what others belive or say holds a deeper understanding of truth than what we ourself do, so we can not see higher truth yet? And therefor not understand those who have realized more then ourself?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
1: So why do we keep telling others they are wrong? Does our own understanding become the only right because we believe in that teaching?

Ego and attachment, whereas we need to become selfless and detached.

2: Should we not be more focused on our own path? And not about what others follow or believe in?

That is true. We are responsible for one life only and that is our own. If we become overly preoccupied with others then we will neglect the work we need to do.

3: can it be that what others belive or say holds a deeper understanding of truth than what we ourself do, so we can not see higher truth yet? And therefor not understand those who have realized more then ourself?

Absolutely. I may be able to put into practice one teaching from my faith whereas another may practice ten teachings from their faith. So we are transformed by our spiritual path in accordance with the efforts our inner lives are influenced by the exalted teachings of our faith. The further along the path we are the more we enjoy the company of those who walk a different path and see similarities with our own IMHO.

That’s how I see it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ego and attachment, whereas we need to become selfless and detached.

That is true. We are responsible for one life only and that is our own. If we become overly preoccupied with others then we will neglect the work we need to do.

Absolutely. I may be able to put into practice one teaching from my faith whereas another may practice ten teachings from their faith. So we are transformed by our spiritual path in accordance with the efforts our inner lives are influenced by the exalted teachings of our faith. The further along the path we are the more we enjoy the company of those who walk a different path and see similarities with our own IMHO.

That’s how I see it.
A very similar way to my understanding too:)
Thank you for replying @adrian009

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
Sometimes the mistakes of others harm those around them. I do think we should primarily focus on our own paths, but I don't think we should stand by and let harm come to other people.

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence." - Mahatma Gandhi

It's the existential horror of being human. We can't know the consequences of our actions, or the actions that will bring about our desired consequences. We can't even know which consequences are preferable. And yet we still have to act.

Even if you focus only on your path, you will eventually come into conflict with others. Do I think that means we should accuse others of being wrong, or use violence against them for it? No, I do not, but I don't think you can ever really escape the fight, either.

If you're talking about merely debating which spiritual practices are "true," I don't think that this is something that experienced mystics do. Not to use anecdotal evidence, but I've worked privately with Chasidic Jews, Sufis, Taoist alchemists, Yogis, and Thelemites. We tend to get along pretty well.

I've only had conflicts with Rosicrucians, but from what I've seen Rosicrucians tend to have conflicts with everyone from Neopagans to Hindus to Catholics to Thelemites, so it's probably just them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sometimes the mistakes of others harm those around them. I do think we should primarily focus on our own paths, but I don't think we should stand by and let harm come to other people.

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence." - Mahatma Gandhi

It's the existential horror of being human. We can't know the consequences of our actions, or the actions that will bring about our desired consequences. We can't even know which consequences are preferable. And yet we still have to act.

Even if you focus only on your path, you will eventually come into conflict with others. Do I think that means we should accuse others of being wrong, or use violence against them for it? No, I do not, but I don't think you can ever really escape the fight, either.

If you're talking about merely debating which spiritual practices are "true," I don't think that this is something that experienced mystics do. Not to use anecdotal evidence, but I've worked privately with Chasidic Jews, Sufis, Taoist alchemists, Yogis, and Thelemites. We tend to get along pretty well.

I've only had conflicts with Rosicrucians, but from what I've seen Rosicrucians tend to have conflicts with everyone from Neopagans to Hindus to Catholics to Thelemites, so it's probably just them.
Thank you for your reply @February-Saturday :)
In my understanding when we cultivate a spiritual teaching we will be able to see what is the right way or the wrong way to act. And Even I my self have been in situation where i called out people for being wrong, i realized i did not see the full truth of the question we were discussing, so actually i made my self just as wrong as those i accused to be wrong :)
I realized also that when i think i have understood the teaching fully or part of the teaching fully, i am still not actually seeing the full truth but only up to the wisdom level i have realized my self.

The "conflict" is something i experience more or less every day here in RF due to my different understanding of topics i take part in discussion of. But i try to make sure i write that my answer is only my own understanding, not that i am the only one correct :)
My week point is that i do like discussion and sometimes i get burned when my answer is not good enough thought through before i write it here in RF.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. so we can not see higher truth yet? And therefor not understand those who have realized more then ourselves?
Most did not realize anything, only their sky-high egos spoke. The simple and the highest truth is that "What exists is one, there is no second". Science says we started with a blob of energy. All which exists is that only.

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
Thank you for your reply @February-Saturday :)
In my understanding when we cultivate a spiritual teaching we will be able to see what is the right way or the wrong way to act. And Even I my self have been in situation where i called out people for being wrong, i realized i did not see the full truth of the question we were discussing, so actually i made my self just as wrong as those i accused to be wrong :)
I realized also that when i think i have understood the teaching fully or part of the teaching fully, i am still not actually seeing the full truth but only up to the wisdom level i have realized my self.

The "conflict" is something i experience more or less every day here in RF due to my different understanding of topics i take part in discussion of. But i try to make sure i write that my answer is only my own understanding, not that i am the only one correct :)
My week point is that i do like discussion and sometimes i get burned when my answer is not good enough thought through before i write it here in RF.

It can be rather frustrating when I think I finally understand something, only to learn that my understanding is incomplete. It's more frustrating to me when I give information that's inaccurate, distorted, or incomplete. I feels almost like I'm poisoning the well of knowledge with my impotence.

However, I try to remember to be as accepting, forgiving, and tolerant of myself as much as I am with others. In Gnosticism, there's the belief that spiritual progress matters, but the material world is an illusion. I try to remember that it's the process of bettering myself and growing that matters, and that I'm not expected to be perfect.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It can be rather frustrating when I think I finally understand something, only to learn that my understanding is incomplete. It's more frustrating to me when I give information that's inaccurate, distorted, or incomplete. I feels almost like I'm poisoning the well of knowledge with my impotence.

However, I try to remember to be as accepting, forgiving, and tolerant of myself as much as I am with others. In Gnosticism, there's the belief that spiritual progress matters, but the material world is an illusion. I try to remember that it's the process of bettering myself and growing that matters, and that I'm not expected to be perfect.
In my current understanding i too see the material world as an illusion, to explain. Our physical eyes do not see the true excistence of this world, our eyes are cluttered by our ego, but when ego is redused or fully extinct we open our wisdom eye/third eye. And this eye see the true world

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Each spiritual teaching holds it's truth, the truth realized by the founder, but we as practitioners see only the truth we our self realizing through practicing the teaching we chose to learn and understand, as long we are practicing we can not see or understand the teaching on a higher wisdom level. But only up to the level we our self has realized.

Let me ask you this, @Amanaki : Take the doctrine of Hellfire. Is it ‘truth’? Then God is scary....people wouldn’t be / aren’t drawn to a God that does / allows that.

But what if it’s wrong? Then it certainly dishonors God. Should people be told, and shown how wrong it is, and where to find that out? You think God would be “glad” to see others ‘stick up for Him’? Proverbs 27:11

Whenever we start talking to others, though, we should keep in mind Colossians 4:6. Good counsel for anyone, anytime.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Maybe it's because some people are actually right and some people are actually wong. ;O)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Let me ask you this, @Amanaki : Take the doctrine of Hellfire. Is it ‘truth’? Then God is scary....people wouldn’t be / aren’t drawn to a God that does / allows that.

But what if it’s wrong? Then it certainly dishonors God. Should people be told, and shown how wrong it is, and where to find that out? You think God would “rejoice” to see others ‘stick up for Him’? Proverbs 27:11

Whenever we start talking to others, though, we should keep in mind Colossians 4:6. Good counsel for anyone, anytime.
Since i am not a Christian i will answer from my own understanding of what you call hellfire :)
In my understanding Hell is not a permanent place doomed humans will stay for ever, but it is very difficult to get out if one first fall that far. Does a form of hellfire exist? For those who fear fire, yes it exist, for those who truly fear cold, hell will be Extreme cold.
For those who fear other things, that is what they will experience if the do fall to Hell realm. So in my understanding Hell is not experienced the same for those who do end up there, but according to their karma and their fears that is their Hell.

In my current understanding it is not God, Buddha or other enlightened beings who are wrong. It is us human beings who lack wisdom to fully understand what the heavenly beings have tried to tell us.
So when we follow,believe, cultivate a spiritual teaching it is is humans who are at different level of wisdom that experience what we understand as truth, but as soon our wisdom grows we realize our mistake from the lower wisdom level we were on. So the more refined our understanding of the teachings become the higher wisdom level we attain.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe it's because some people are actually right and some people are actually wong. ;O)
But are we the one who should tell them, you are wrong, i am correct?
Would it not be better to guide them within their own teaching where they maybe could understanding deeper wisdom?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

In Christianity, preaching, telling others that they are wrong and converting them, is a core tenet of the faith. Just read the book of acts. Revelation shows that those who are wrong will be destroyed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In Christianity, preaching, telling others that they are wrong and converting them, is a core tenet of the faith. Just read the book of acts. Revelation shows that those who are wrong will be destroyed.
I think i see it differently, but of course i can be wrong.
My understanding is that Christian people are meant to go out to spread Gods word, but by no mean force anyone to become Christian, in my understanding it is meant that when people hear Gods words they will awaken to it by them self, and see the truth from how God speak.

But many human beings have done wrong by forcing and killing in Gods name. That is not the fault of God or Christianity, that is a fault of humans who had them self not understood the teaching.

Heyo

Veteran Member

For me, telling someone "you are wrong" or be told that I am wrong, is just short for "It seems we have a discrepancy of either data or interpretation. Let's find out if we can consolidate our knowledge."
I want to know when I'm wrong and I'm willing to help you change your mind when you are wrong. It's not a fight, it's a cooperation.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I think i see it differently, but of course i can be wrong.
My understanding is that Christian people are meant to go out to spread Gods word, but by no mean force anyone to become Christian, in my understanding it is meant that when people hear Gods words they will awaken to it by them self, and see the truth from how God speak.

But many human beings have done wrong by forcing and killing in Gods name. That is not the fault of God or Christianity, that is a fault of humans who had them self not understood the teaching.

I mentioned nothing about force. That definitely isn't scriptural from an NT standpoint. But preaching about the Truth and telling other people that their religion is wrong is.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For me, telling someone "you are wrong" or be told that I am wrong, is just short for "It seems we have a discrepancy of either data or interpretation. Let's find out if we can consolidate our knowledge."
I want to know when I'm wrong and I'm willing to help you change your mind when you are wrong. It's not a fight, it's a cooperation.
If a non practitioners tell a practitioner a spiritual teaching that they are wrong, the first that comes to mind is. Has this person studied, cultivated and used many hours a day in the same path as me? If the answer is yes this person do know the teaching in and out and hold deeper wisdom them me, it is safe to say this person can explain to me where i am wrong.

But if the answer is no this person has not used many hours a day studying, cultivated and put their mind to the teaching. No then there of no value to discuss or try to learn from them.

The same is if the person him/herself cultivate, study and have deep knowlede of a different teaching, can i learn from them? No not in the sense that they know and understand the teaching i follow. But in a sense that they too have some form of wisdom about spiritual practice.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I mentioned nothing about force. That definitely isn't scriptural from an NT standpoint. But preaching about the Truth and telling other people that their religion is wrong is.
Well, according to the teaching they do say that a Christian should only follow Christianity and it's teaching, so could it be that this is where they misunderstood and thought it means that all other teaching is wrong?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But are we the one who should tell them, you are wrong, i am correct?
Would it not be better to guide them within their own teaching where they maybe could understanding deeper wisdom?
No I wouldn't really encourage that. The best wisdom is finding out things for yourself rather than relying on others to do it for you.

After all, religion and spirituality happens to be a very personal thing and the only true teacher and culmination of wisdom is that person you see whenever you look in a mirror.

The rest of us are just fellow wayfarers, where we occasionally cross paths and exchange our exciting tales at the Tea House with each other.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No I wouldn't really encourage that. The best wisdom is finding out things for yourself rather than relying on others to do it for you.

After all, religion and spirituality happens to be a very personal thing and the only true teacher and culmination of wisdom is that person you see whenever you look in a mirror.

The rest of us are just fellow wayfarers, where we occasionally cross paths and exchange our exciting tales at the Tea House with each other.
That sound to me like a good answer :)