• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we blush while other animals don't?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
As we all know, according to the creation myth in Genesis 2, Adam and Eve were both originally naked, "but they were not ashamed." After they ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, we are told that "the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked," in other words they felt shame for the first time and 'blushed' at their nudity, looking for something to clothe themselves with. Perhaps we should aptly rename it the story of the "first blush".

In the thirteenth chapter of The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals Charles Darwin, the founder of evolutionary theory, described blushing as "the most peculiar and most human of all expressions", noting that: "it would require an overwhelming amount of evidence to make us believe that any animal could blush."

Likewise the Dutch primatologist Frans de Waal has said that: "The only uniquely human expression, as Darwin already noted, is blushing. I don’t know of any instant face reddening in other primates." (Frans de Waal, The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates. New York: W. W. Norton, 2013, p. 155). He goes on to write:

“It's one of evolution's great mysteries, I think.

“What is the evolutionary value of blushing? It seems not to be to our advantage to do it, to involuntarily reveal our inner emotions. If we're trying to manipulate or lie, actions in furtherance of individual goals as opposed to the goals of others, blushing would not seem to be helpful. And yet everyone blushes, except the psychopath.”

The universal existence of blushing as an expression of shame appears to exist only among humans. No other species does it - yet we do so involuntarily, either from shame, guilt or embarrassment.

Why?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to see more evidence that humans are the only animals (or even the only mammals) that blush. I find it very unlikely that expansion of blood vessels in the body in response to certain stressful conditions is unique to humans. Considering anthropocentric bias in studying non-human animal behavior and emotion, I also find it very unlikely that only humans have this occur in response to emotional stress in particular.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The universal existence of blushing as an expression of shame appears to exist only among humans. No other species does it - yet we do so involuntarily, either from shame, guilt or embarrassment.
Why?

IMHO. From Genesis I learned that after eating of the tree of "Good and Bad" = judging, this whole thing started. Animals don't judge, don't blush.

stvdv

Cant tell if my cat or dog blush or not. They have fur covering their faces.

Yes, that's a bit of a problem. So I ask my dog "you blushed didn't you" and if he goes like :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I know he blushed;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
As we all know, according to the creation myth in Genesis 2, Adam and Eve were both originally naked, "but they were not ashamed." After they ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, we are told that "the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked," in other words they felt shame for the first time and 'blushed' at their nudity, looking for something to clothe themselves with. Perhaps we should aptly rename it the story of the "first blush".
Feeling shame doesn't necessarily entail blushing, so just what version of the Bible tells you they blushed?

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to see more evidence that humans are the only animals (or even the only mammals) that blush. I find it very unlikely that expansion of blood vessels in the body in response to certain stressful conditions is unique to humans. Considering anthropocentric bias in studying non-human animal behavior and emotion, I also find it very unlikely that only humans have this occur in response to emotional stress in particular.

You could very well be right, I am merely basing this upon the opinions of biologists and evolutionary psychologists. I certainly don't pretend to any expertise in this field, yet everything I have read does seem to indicate that this is a uniquely human trait.

Consider:

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.13040481

The Psychological Significance of the Blush

Shannon G. Caspersen, M.D., M.Phil.

The blush, a phenomenon unique to humans among all animal species, was famously studied by Charles Darwin in 1872...

This comprehensive and impressively constructed presentation of the state of blush research is a fascinating and useful volume for evolutionary scientists, psychologists, psychiatrists, and neuroscientists. However, because of the quality of the prose, it is also appropriate for lay readers curious about this uniquely human phenomenon.

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Feeling shame doesn't necessarily entail blushing, so just what version of the Bible tells you they blushed?

My reference to the biblical myth was merely a cultural pointer to start the discussion off.

It's not actually of any real importance to the scientific reasons for why this trait evolved in humans, so I wouldn't want the substantive debate itself to get sidetracked with such exegetical issues.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Some animals can blush. It's one of the things Pharaoh Hounds are most known for. (On their nose and eartips). The problem is most animals have a much denser facial hair covering than we do so as a communication skill it doesn't occur often outside humans. The same act of blushing or flushing occurs in a lot of birds, too. But its purpose is very different, as a method of heat control.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Some animals can blush. It's one of the things Pharaoh Hounds are most known for. (On their nose and eartips). The problem is most animals have a much denser facial hair covering than we do so as a communication skill it doesn't occur often outside humans. The same act of blushing or flushing occurs in a lot of birds, too. But its purpose is very different, as a method of heat control.

That's very interesting.

Why, then, do you reckon that psychologists and biologists (like the ones I referenced) are of the opinion that blushing is absent from non-human animals including our fellow primates?

Skwim

Veteran Member
My reference to the biblical myth was merely a cultural pointer to start the discussion off.

It's not actually of any real importance to the scientific reasons for why this trait evolved in humans, so I wouldn't want the substantive debate itself to get sidetracked with such exegetical issues.
The use of an irrelevant, embellished myth is a "cultural pointer"? Hmmm. . . . . gotta say, this is a new one.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
The use of an irrelevant, embellished myth is a "cultural pointer"? Hmmm. . . . . gotta say, this is a new one.

It is a myth concerning shame that has exerted a wide-ranging influence upon Western culture. Everybody knows it. I don't think I would be able to count the number of allusions made to it in popular culture over the last few centuries.

I am not aware of any other such story on this theme which has had the same staying power.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It is a myth concerning shame that has exerted a wide-ranging influence upon Western culture. Everybody knows it. I don't think I would be able to count the number of allusions made to it in popular culture over the last few centuries.
Nobody would.

I am not aware of any other such story on this theme which has had the same staying power.
Do you know of any other such stories at all? As for staying power, we both know it isn't the story itself that's given it such impact, but its context. And as far as being a compelling story, it's outright silly.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's very interesting.

Why, then, do you reckon that psychologists and biologists (like the ones I referenced) are of the opinion that blushing is absent from non-human animals including our fellow primates?
I couldn't tell you. Maybe they'e referring to a different kind of psycho-physiologucal response or maybe 'rare' got oversimplified to 'never.'

stvdv

What's a matter? Can't find anything important to argue about?
Actually, very little. Lately the variety and quality of threads and posts has been diminishing.:pensive:

Maybe if you just change your big banner below your messages would help;). For me "to agree" opens up the flow for new stuff.:). I saw a few quality postso_O