• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do U.S. Americans hate on American athletes for speaking their mind?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Inspired by the following:

Opinion: New Winter Olympic sport: American 'fans' hating on American athletes who speak their mind

Way before the issues of Kaepernick, but spearheaded by him, it seems that athletes are barred from having a public opinion of something that affects them. It seems that citizens forget momentarily that athletes, are educated persons themselves, well hell they are persons themselves. It would appear to me that #45 has given those with bigoted views a platform to discuss their bigotry in the spirit of free speech. Why are athletes being told to simply "dribble a basketball" if they're having issues with something political as was said by Lauren Ingraham told Lebron, on his dislike for Trump (see:Fox News host tells LeBron James to 'shut up and dribble' after Trump criticism). Do we as a society prefer athletes to simply be automatons who perform without question, or do we prefer to have athletes with extraordinary abilities but also have extraordinary beliefs? Because sports happen within the world, everything is interconnected, whether it is issues with politics, gender, or race.

Lebron James know this all too well when his California home was vandalized with the "N-word" spray painted on his house. Everything is interconnected and athletes like everyday citizens have a voice. People often look at their wealth as something that ought to hinder their speech because there seems to be this idea that social disparities are a "poor persons" thing. Who says Lebron cannot feel anyway about racism? Why couldn't Obama resonate with Trayvon Martin, considering Obama is the first person of color to hold the office of power? Why can't gay athletes who come out be proud of their sexuality? Or the disabled, seeking more rights to be equal of those who aren't disabled? Why do we as a society choose to silence these people, but allow the ones that ought to be silent, a platform to be heard?

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Opinion: New Winter Olympic sport: American 'fans' hating on American athletes who speak their mind

Way before the issues of Kaepernick, but spearheaded by him, it seems that athletes are barred from having a public opinion of something that affects them. It seems that citizens forget momentarily that athletes, are educated persons themselves, well hell they are persons themselves. It would appear to me that #45 has given those with bigoted views a platform to discuss their bigotry in the spirit of free speech. Why are athletes being told to simply "dribble a basketball" if they're having issues with something political as was said by Lauren Ingraham told Lebron, on his dislike for Trump (see:Fox News host tells LeBron James to 'shut up and dribble' after Trump criticism). Do we as a society prefer athletes to simply be automatons who perform without question, or do we prefer to have athletes with extraordinary abilities but also have extraordinary beliefs? Because sports happen within the world, everything is interconnected, whether it is issues with politics, gender, or race.

Lebron James know this all too well when his California home was vandalized with the "N-word" spray painted on his house. Everything is interconnected and athletes like everyday citizens have a voice. People often look at their wealth as something that ought to hinder their speech because there seems to be this idea that social disparities are a "poor persons" thing. Who says Lebron cannot feel anyway about racism? Why couldn't Obama resonate with Trayvon Martin, considering Obama is the first person of color to hold the office of power? Why can't gay athletes who come out be proud of their sexuality? Or the disabled, seeking more rights to be equal of those who aren't disabled? Why do we as a society choose to silence these people, but allow the ones that ought to be silent, a platform to be heard?

Because, 99% of the time they aren't speaking their mind but what they are told to say via the organizations that pay them. There has never been any respect for these sold-out type opinions, so that's about it. Also, taking a knee does nothing to help the police solve their problems or the communities address theirs. It's virtue signalling garbage that has no actual effect other than to make law enforcement more difficult, and rile up everyone else.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Another theory....
Athletes are like other celebrities (eg, actors), in that their
views are given more exposure than us ordinary schlubs.
So when we hear their ignorant blather, we're jealous cuz
our ignorant blather goes unnoticed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Who says athletes can't speak their minds anyways? It should be on their own time or when they're on break however.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

Thanks for the Fahim A. Knight tip, I haven't laughed that hard in a while, that being said I imagine it's just that people want to see the sport played and forget politics.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Another theory....
Athletes are like other celebrities (eg, actors), in that their
views are given more exposure than us ordinary schlubs.
So when we hear their ignorant blather, we're jealous cuz
our ignorant blather goes unnoticed.

Wrong....

Bad theory.....Unless you've been an athlete yourself you'd have no idea of the strenuous exercises they have to endure, on top of that most if not all U.S. athletes have a college education. Unlike celebrities, who some complain about strenuous exercise do this day in and out.

"when we hear ignorant blather, we're jealous cuz our ignorant blather goes unnoticed."

Any idiot can say that, but the intelligent would understand that athletes are on a world stage and intelligent people understand that these people use this platform to their advantage because they know those who are less fortunate, less exposed to a world platform have no voice....just a theory.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It seems we are growing increasingly insistent that people be allowed free speech, but only if we agree with them. I think we put way too much focus, emphasis, and praise on celebrities and athletes, but they are still people, they are still entitled to their rights, and it is unreasonable to expect them to just "shut up and dribble."

74x12

People only say that when they disagree with the athlete.

But anyway, I don't even think it's a big deal. I think why should athletes have a platform to spout political nonsense when they clearly don't know what they're talking about when I don't get the same advantage? I should be a famous speaker by now. However I suck at speaking so maybe not.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Can't you just disagree without the insults?
You summarily declare me wrong, but you
offer no argument except to question whether
I've ever been an athlete.

I didn't call you an idiot...I said only idiots say that....If you're not one, no need to worry as I did not address you in particular. I mean only an idiot cannot get the common sense logic of Kaepernick and the other gay athletes who are speaking out.

74x12

They shouldn't even be allowed to talk period. If i see them talk once more I'll ... :mad: ...arghhh ...

(Please don't take me seriously btw)

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
People only say that when they disagree with the athlete.

But anyway, I don't even think it's a big deal. I think why should athletes have a platform to spout political nonsense when they clearly don't know what they're talking about when I don't get the same advantage? I should be a famous speaker by now. However I suck at speaking so maybe not.

Do you think a president who has the highest office can call grown men SOB's for having an opinion is problematic?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems we are growing increasingly insistent that people be allowed free speech, but only if we agree with them. I think we put way too much focus, emphasis, and praise on celebrities and athletes, but they are still people, they are still entitled to their rights, and it is unreasonable to expect them to just "shut up and dribble."
Everyone is allowed, so that's not really what's going on.
It's that some talking heads express objection.
Right or left....L James or C Eastwood...there's always someone who'll carp
about their wading into politics when they're known for something else.
Politicals speech continues nonetheless.

74x12

Do you think a president who has the highest office can call grown men SOB's for having an opinion is problematic?
While, I don't agree with his use of such language ... Yet, he's okay to express his disapproval IMO. Although we agree with free speech yet we agree with free counter points also.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While, I don't agree with his use of such language ... Yet, he's okay to express his disapproval IMO. Although we agree with free speech yet we agree with free counter points also.
Our presidents have a long history of dissing one group or another.
It would be great if they were more respectful, but it can't be stopped.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Free speech only applies to government not persecuting you for having a dissenting opinion about the gov't entity itself. Speech is never free. I cannot freely talk at work. There are other platforms I can take and sure, there are jobs that allow "aggressive" speech, but why is trump okay but the athletes not? So I cannot as an athlete use my platform to talk about blacks being harassed by cops and injustice arrest and killings but Trump is exercising free speech to call me a son of a b**ch?