• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do the gods hide themselves?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I personally don't believe in so called miracles, such as the virgin Mary weeping, they have all been proven as fake, there is always things happening in life that seem to be special, but that is only because we are looking for that, we see what we want to see.
Some of the Eucharistic miracles haven't been proven fake.
Eucharistic Miracles

and then there are other miracles like:
Miracle of the Sun - Wikipedia

witnessed by over 30000 people, many of them communists and freemasons

whirlingmerc

I'll never understand why the gods hide themselves. How is that the loving thing to do? How does it help us? If it doesn't help us, what do you think their reason is for doing so?

If you believe in one God, why do you think he insists that we accept him by Faith? Why not give everyone clear personal messages from time to time? Why remain hidden? (It pisses me off! grrrr!! :mad:)

It;s like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel the effects.
see John 3

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I'll never understand why the gods hide themselves. How is that the loving thing to do? How does it help us? If it doesn't help us, what do you think their reason is for doing so?

If you believe in one God, why do you think he insists that we accept him by Faith? Why not give everyone clear personal messages from time to time? Why remain hidden? (It pisses me off! grrrr!! :mad:)

If you created the world to create a companion or an equal. How could you interfere in its development without influencing its outcome. As a parent I have to distance myself from my children or they will not be successful. I have to allow them to make mistakes and learn from them. I have to trust them or they will not trust themselves. I have to allow them to suffer so that they will be stronger.

The child rarely understands and lashes out against the parent multiple times. The parent keeps telling themselves it is for the better and they don't mean it. Hopefully one day in the future the child finally understands.

I am just trying to make a successful human from a human and these are my trials. God is trying to make something far greater from far less.

buddhist

The early Buddhist scriptures state that the worlds lower than a deity's own heaven are extremely offensive to their senses. Much like a cesspool of excrement would be to us on our human plane; few of us would find it appealing to dive into it, in an attempt to communicate with its creatures of lower sentience.

Sakeenah

I don't believe God hides but according to my beliefs we can't see God in this life.
This is not because seeing God is impossible in itself, but because God has willed that it shouldn't happen. This is for many reasons, some of which have been mentioned and others which remain known only to God. One of the main reasons is human weakness, which is apparent from the story of Moses

In the story of Moses in the Quran
“And when Moosa came at the time and place appointed by Us, and his Lord spoke to him, he said, ‘O my Lord! Show me (Yourself), that I may look upon You.’ Allaah said, ‘You cannot see Me, but look upon the mountain, if its stands still in its place, then you shall see Me.’ So when his Lord appeared to the mountain, He made it collapse to dust, and Moosa fell down unconscious. Then when he recovered his senses he said, ‘Glory be to You, I turn to You in repentance and I am the first of the believers.’” [al-A’raaf 7:143].
The arabic word lan (here translated as cannot in ‘You cannot see Me’) conveys the meaning of ‘You will not see Me in this life’

No vision can grasp Him, but His Grasp is over all vision. He is the Most Subtle and Courteous, Well-Acquainted with all things.” [al-An’aam 6:103].

No vision can grasp Him" means you will not be able to see Him in this world, even though you will see Him in the Hereafter.

Another reason is that we believe that seeing God is the greatest blessing, so it is withheld for the place of ultimate blessing and joy which is Paradise.

ajay0

It is just a part of the journey. If you have faith you will reach the destination faster and easier. If not the progress can be slower and harder.

Of course, you must develop faith after research and study, and applying your critical thinking skills. Blind faith can result in major disappointments later on.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If it doesn't help us, what do you think their reason is for doing so?
Here is near Hell; the last person who claimed to be a physical manifestation of God, we tortured, nailed to a cross, and turned it into a religion, about how it was Good News (Gospel).... :rolleyes:

If we were evolved enough, to recognize how morally wrong the whole thing is, how it defiles the Laws, and that really his teachings lead to enlightenment and 0neness, then maybe Divine beings would be more inclined to come here.
If you believe in one God, why do you think he insists that we accept him by Faith?
God doesn't want people to only accept by blind belief, man made religion does, which again shows why many of us are unworthy....

Do you know how many miracles happen daily, this whole realm is manifested by the CPU, people get things they're asking for, prayers are granted, only someone without trust (faith) in that, could even say something so faulty.
Why not give everyone clear personal messages from time to time?
God speaks, yet maybe because people are facing in the wrong direction following man made religions, that they don't recognize the voice within their soul, isn't only their own :innocent:, and the voice within the self/ego, isn't only their own as well. :smilingimp:

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

There is no excuse, but don't stay angry. For three thousand years Egypt believed Pharoah was one of the gods, and they were no better off. They could go see a god visibly and inquire of priests who personally knew one. Every one worked hard so they could afford a nice burial for themselves and their children, so they could live forever in comfort. Naturally that meant every country around them had to be crushed under their heel to provide wealth, so for three thousand years they consistently went to war against the surrounding countries that they referred to as the nine bows. They burned and stole crops, killed and took people and destroyed. Their aim was always to get rich and to humble and weaken. Most of the wealth went to the priests of the gods of course.

Now then. An invisible god doesn't seem so bad to me.

It remains one of the great contradictions of religious claims, at least for the Christian/Judeo traditions. I think Its worth remembering that while 'religion' exists, as your very comment suggests, whether they have anything to do with God remains unanswered and the absence of a faith unable to lead to and confirm and justify the reality of God, by some experience of transcendence power is certainly in my mind, contrary to the very spirit of a scriptural record that strongly suggests God will make himself know to the visible world. Something the all too human theological doctrines and dogma could never achieve. And the problem might be summed up in the single word 'Theology' which only exists because nothing has yet been revealed! The Final Freedoms

Kemosloby

Premium Member
God is hidden for your own benefit. If you had no disbelief, you would have no excuse to disobey him, then he would have to destroy you outright. But this way God can be patient and offer you time.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member

It is actually quite simple. If the Gods revealed themselves to everyone, then it would interfere with human freewill. We would no longer feel free to do what we want - it would be like a teacher always being in the classroom watching the kids. It is the ambiguity of the existence of God(s) that allows humans to exercise their freewill without fear.

Someday soon (very soon), humans will become spiritually advanced enough that the open appearance of the Gods (at least the ones at the lowest level) will no longer interfere with our freewill (since we will be willing to be 'good' by our own accord). At that time, the lower level Gods will reveal themselves openly for all. The highest level Gods (or God) will always be hidden.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

I can live with God hiding Himself, since He gives excellent reasons for doing so, as He describes in the Bible.

Those who trust Jesus for salvation WILL see God. No longer hidden . . .

Rapha

All entities that call themselves gods like Thor, Odin, Jupiter, Yahweh, Allah are little demons who have been locked up in the angel prison Tartarus.

They get spanked every day for being little naughty boys for playing their live simulation games with human lives. Humans got peeved off and the God of the Universe, picked them all up and clobbered them all into hell.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I can live with God hiding Himself, since He gives excellent reasons for doing so, as He describes in the Bible.
God "him" and God "he" and all that jazz :)

Once upon a time Jahve had a wife called Ashera but she got thrown out by patriarchal priests.

Together, Jahve and Ashera created all in the ancient known part of the Universe - Not literally, but as symbols of creation through male and female creative powers which again can be compared to the two magnetic polarities in the electromagnetic fundamental force of creation.

That is: There are no personalized gods or goddesses and this is why they "hide themselves".