• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some people who hate Jews love Israel?

epronovost

I typically see this among so-called Christians but this behavior applies to anyone of this behavior.

For some, its a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Though they might be antisemitic, they hate Muslims even more and thus like Israel, especially if the far-right is in power in Israel, as an ally against an even more hated foe.

Some are enamored with the concept of ethnic and religiously homogenous society and will love the idea of Israel as its a place where they could deport all the Jews from their own land and not feel bad about it. That's also why some black separatists and white supremacist will often agree on almost everything.

Some Christians believe that the creation of the State of Israel and the return of all Jews in Palestine is one of the precondition of Judgement Day and Christ second coming. So basically they want Israel to exist so that the world might be destroyed.

Some see a certain kinship in ideal between the Israeli far-right with its militarist, expansionist, ferociously nationalist and religiously motivated policies and consider it a template to follow for their own version of a militarist, expansionist, ferociously nationalist and religiously motivate policies idealized State.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I typically see this among so-called Christians but this behavior applies to anyone of this behavior.

I have a Christian friend who once told me that after Jesus came, Christians became the true continuation of the original Israel, becoming "Spiritual Israel". I never asked him for how he came to that conclusion. I don't think I will either, as I don't really want to know.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
For some, its a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Though they might be antisemitic, they hate Muslims even more and thus like Israel, especially if the far-right is in power in Israel, as an ally against an even more hated foe.

Some are enamored with the concept of ethnic and religiously homogenous society and will love the idea of Israel as its a place where they could deport all the Jews from their own land and not feel bad about it. That's also why some black separatists and white supremacist will often agree on almost everything.

Some Christians believe that the creation of the State of Israel and the return of all Jews in Palestine is one of the precondition of Judgement Day and Christ second coming. So basically they want Israel to exist so that the world might be destroyed.

Some see a certain kinship in ideal between the Israeli far-right with its militarist, expansionist, ferociously nationalist and religiously motivated policies and consider it a template to follow for their own version of a militarist, expansionist, ferociously nationalist and religiously motivate policies idealized State.

Great point....

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Probably because they hate Muslims even more.

Ciao

- viole

That doesn't make sense to me. So let me get this straight. Christians who exhibit anti-Semitic behavior by hating Jews can love Israel because they hate Muslims more? Given the eschatology of Christianity, Jews reject the second coming of Jesus, unlike Muslims and unlike both Jews and Christians, both groups will suffer during revelations according to Christian eschatology. I don't think by hating Muslims more and exhibiting anti-Semitic behavior is rational and beneficial to one's own end unless one has a stake in the geopolitical situation going on in the Middle East which many evangelicals do.

Justanatheist

The Bible tells them to hate Jews but they see Israel as a signal that the end times are coming with the return of Christ.'

Many people do not understand how much christian restorationism helped the establishment of Israel.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Christianity foretells of an apocalypse that includes Israel. Here's one description of that from https://www.gotquestions.org/end-times-Israel.html :

There will be a mass return of Jews to the land of Israel (Deuteronomy 30:3; Isaiah 43:6; Ezekiel 34:11-13; 36:24; 37:1-14). The Antichrist will make a 7-year covenant of "peace" with Israel (Isaiah 28:18; Daniel 9:27). The temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem (Daniel 9:27; Matthew 24:15; 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; Revelation 11:1). The Antichrist will break his covenant with Israel, and worldwide persecution of Israel will result (Daniel 9:27; 12:1, 11; Zechariah 11:16; Matthew 24:15, 21; Revelation 12:13). Israel will be invaded (Ezekiel chapters 38-39). Israel will finally recognize Jesus as their Messiah (Zechariah 12:10). Israel will be regenerated, restored, and regathered (Jeremiah 33:8; Ezekiel 11:17; Romans 11:26).​

Obviously, it was necessary to reform the state of Israel to facilitate biblical prophecy, and now it is essential to protect it from Arab aggression to keep it intact until the second coming. That's the basis of Christian Zionism. It's not about a love of the Jews or Israel. The Jews that have failed to accept Jesus as messiah are expected to be casualties of the apocalypse along with all others that don't believe that Jesus is divine.

Last edited:

Justanatheist

Yeah I saw that program
I find it chilling to note how casually the Christian Pastor points out that 2/3rds of the Jews will die. That is the Holocaust in the blink of an eye.

Herzl knew the truth of it.

The anti-Semites will become our most dependable friends, the anti-Semitic countries our allies.

—Theodore Herzl

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I find it chilling to note how casually the Christian Pastor points out that 2/3rds of the Jews will die. That is the Holocaust in the blink of an eye.

Herzl knew the truth of it.

The anti-Semites will become our most dependable friends, the anti-Semitic countries our allies.

—Theodore Herzl

So they're only allies for their own gain? I would've thought many Jews knowing Christian Evangelical eschatology would not even engage them. But in that video, there is a financial and political advantage for them (Israeli settlers)

Justanatheist

So they're only allies for their own gain? I would've thought many Jews knowing Christian Evangelical eschatology would not even engage them. But in that video, there is a financial and political advantage for them (Israeli settlers)
I would imagine that if you live in a country surrounded by enemies you are going to take any help you can get regardless that it is motivated by a belief that you think is just plain fantasy, that the support comes from the most powerful country in the world is a hell of a bonus. From the Christian Evangelical perspective they want their god to return asap, they have been waiting 2000 years already! The bible says Jesus will not return until greater Israel is established and the Third Temple rebuilt so it makes sense to support it even if your bible tells you that the Jews killed Jesus, after all god is going to deal with them anyway. Besides getting the troublesome Jews out of your country and into somebody else's is a win win scenario. (this was certainly the inspiration for early Christian Zionists)

But I am not a Christian or a Jew so I only speak from an outsiders point of view.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
can love Israel because they hate Muslims more?

Actually that makes sense to me. I hate you but the one thing that I like is that your enemies are our enemies. So I would not use "love" here but rather "hate less" and "hate more".