• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so many Middle Eastern countries oppose freedom of religion?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Freedom of religion in many Middle Eastern countries does not exist. The most important right is the right to freedom of religion because people have the right to believe what they want. I believe in providing this right for everyone no matter who they are. I just do not understand why other people cannot do the same.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Freedom of religion is a problem in many countries with Muslim majority.
Why? That's stuff for a looong debate...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Why is freedom of religion important, or even desired, if you have the absolute truth and everyone else should believe your absolute truth?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Freedom of religion in many Middle Eastern countries does not exist. The most important right is the right to freedom of religion because people have the right to believe what they want. I believe in providing this right for everyone no matter who they are. I just do not understand why other people cannot do the same.
Which countries prohibit freedom of religion?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
They all have freedom of religion. You can believe anything you want, even in Saudi Arabia. They just don't have freedom of practicing religion. Big difference.

Skwim

Veteran Member
They all have freedom of religion. You can believe anything you want, even in Saudi Arabia. They just don't have freedom of practicing religion. Big difference.
From Wikipedia re. Saudi Arabia
Religious freedom is virtually non-existent. The Government does not provide legal recognition or protection for freedom of religion, and it is severely restricted in practice. As a matter of policy, the Government guarantees and protects the right to private worship for all, including non-Muslims who gather in homes for religious practice; however, this right is not always respected in practice and is not defined in law.Moreover, the public practice of non-Muslim religions is prohibited. The Saudi Mutaween (Arabic: مطوعين), or Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (i.e., the religious police) enforces the prohibition on the public practice of non-Muslim religions. Sharia Law applies to all people inside Saudi Arabia, regardless of religion.
So, it appears one may practice whatever religion they want in privacy.
"As a matter of policy, the Government guarantees and protects the right to private worship for all, including non-Muslims who gather in homes for religious practice; . . ."
But, watch out.
" . . . however, this right is not always respected in practice and is not defined in law."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is a little known fact of history that most Islamic countries base their religious laws upon Henry
Ford's philosophy of the early 20th century. You can have any color car you want, so long as it's black.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
From Wikipedia re. Saudi Arabia
Religious freedom is virtually non-existent. The Government does not provide legal recognition or protection for freedom of religion, and it is severely restricted in practice. As a matter of policy, the Government guarantees and protects the right to private worship for all, including non-Muslims who gather in homes for religious practice; however, this right is not always respected in practice and is not defined in law.Moreover, the public practice of non-Muslim religions is prohibited. The Saudi Mutaween (Arabic: مطوعين), or Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (i.e., the religious police) enforces the prohibition on the public practice of non-Muslim religions. Sharia Law applies to all people inside Saudi Arabia, regardless of religion.
So, it appears one may practice whatever religion they want in privacy.
"As a matter of policy, the Government guarantees and protects the right to private worship for all, including non-Muslims who gather in homes for religious practice; . . ."
But, watch out.
" . . . however, this right is not always respected in practice and is not defined in law."

^ My point exactly, though not expressed as fully as yours.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
:facepalm: Backatcha. Read my post... you can believe anything you want. You just can't openly practice it.

I've read your post, and again, that is not freedom of religion. Religion is not just holding a belief, but also professing and practicing belief.

By your logic everyone has freedom of speech as long as the wrong person doesn't hear them. But again, that isn't true freedom. Your semantics game is pointless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion

Last edited:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
There are other countries who do have religious freedom. Egypt allows the Coptics to worship in their churches. Though there is muslims killing christians.

Same with other countries. And that is just as bad as the saudis

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
How does this measure up against the 'freedoms' in the States even though there is obvious voices of dissent concerning Mosques being built as Muslims, American born as well as immigrants, move into new communities and areas of the country.

Just because 'Freedom' is on the books, a law... doesn't mean it's the reality.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
How does this measure up against the 'freedoms' in the States even though there is obvious voices of dissent concerning Mosques being built as Muslims, American born as well as immigrants, move into new communities and areas of the country.

Just because 'Freedom' is on the books, a law... doesn't mean it's the reality.

I have only herd of one mosque that was unwanted. And that was the one in the area of 9/11 site