• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people often seem to have problems admitting ignorance?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Nobody likes to be wrong. I'm the first to admit that I'm the last to admit that I'm wrong about something. I like to think (and there is some truth to this) that this is because I tend not to form opinions about things until I have thought about them and studied them in some depth. Thus if I don't know much (or anything) about a particular topic, I won't weigh in on issues regarding it. I'll just admit that I don't understand enough to comment or that I don't know.
We are all ignorant of most subjects. Yet for some reason I continuously find people talking about subjects, fields, or topics they don't really understand as if they were experts. And I don't get it. True, I'm biased here: if I am interested in some subject I am not content until I am sufficiently familiar with it to understand the technical literature, and I often avod subjects that aren't academic or don't have technical literature because I can't get the kind of answers I look for (e.g., I don't pay much attention to stories in the news as I can't verify the findings the way I feel compelled to). Most people are happy to read popular literature on subjects they are interested in. And that's fine.
Yet time and time again I find people making adamant statements about the implications of the big bang theory, quantum mechanics, special relativity, deterministic physics, neuroscience, the nature of scientific research, the scientific method, logic, math, etc., despite having at best an understanding of these subjects that can be gained from reading sensationalist books, websites, or magazine articles.
Do others also find people reluctant to admit ignorance of a subject/topic? If so, any thoughts on why this is or whether there are particular subjects/topics that individuals tend to believe they have an understanding of which they don't in act possess? Do people tend to insist their beliefs about some subject they actually don't really know much about are correct because they believe they understand the issues better than they in fact do, or is it more because they don't want to admit they really don't understand (or both?)?
What makes people believe they understand subjects or topics (especially academic) and how often do you think they actually do?

Sometimes I love being wrong.

Riders

If your speaking about Christians,they believe in their beliefs and have an automatic response of their way is the only way and they seem to center all their responses around witnessing for their faith.

Sense their religions is the one and only their right about everything that comes out of their mouth automatically no matter what when it comes to religious thought;.

in their mind they are because their in the right religion.

Who needs to read up on a topic or actually research it when you believe everything that comes out of your mouth about religion is automatically right and everyone else is automatically wrong.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If your speaking about Christians,they believe in their beliefs and have an automatic response of their way is the only way and they seem to center all their responses around witnessing for their faith.
I'm not. The emergence of science in the early modern period was largely due to Christian epistemology, philosophy, cosmology, and theology. Christian intellectual tradition underlies the emergence of or serious contributions to such diverse academic fields as comparative linguistics, the historical- critical method, empirical science, mathematics, logic, etc. I have found that dismissing worldviews as intellectually bereft and stagnant are usually a kind of flawed, biased, and prejudiced evaluation of wide swathes of such worldviews, such as that you appear to engage in here. Such blatantly misinformed reductions of one of the greatest intellectual traditions in history to some modern examples whilst trivializing BOTH the ubiquitous, religious-like influences of sociocultural environments AND the general illogical, largely faith based epistemologies that those who engage in such dismissals spout as you have speaks to the tendency my OP concerned.

Sense their religions is the one and only their right about everything that comes out of their mouth automatically no matter what when it comes to religious thought;.
Ideology is ideology, as you have aptly demonstrated.
Who needs to read up on a topic or actually research it when you believe everything that comes out of your mouth about religion is automatically right and everyone else is automatically wrong.
What fields/topics do you follow and using what journals, monograph series, conferences, academic databases, etc.?

Riders

I dont claim to be anything but ignorant on those topics that's why I never respond to them.

Marcus 17'17

We are the manifestation of God's intention.
Why do people have problems admitting ignorance? Honestly, I don't know...um...I mean, I know, but I'm not going to tell you. Yeah, that's it! I know, but I'm not saying why.
We are the products of Faith. Our egos believe this world is a war zone and we are living failures. Yet to mask this and progress we pretend. We pretend to be what we truly are. Paridox. There this guy with a small house and a small car who spends every day telling people to want less, not more. He no longer cares about opinions or judgement. He just wants to do what he believes is the very best he can to help truth and the human endevour for happiness. No religion only the actual worship of doing good (God). Most say he is ignorant and i guess by their standards, they are right but ulitimatly who is the real Judge ??? you know don't you !!!