• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people enjoy attacking the Catholic church so much

Scott C.

Just one guy
I think any institution that protects paedophiles and encourages the spread of STDs and unwanted pregnancies deserves attacking,in the history of the world the Holy See has at least been consistent in its practice.

Why does a chuch that is against contraception deserve to be attacked? Do you really believe that the Catholic church wants STDs and unwanted pregnancies to spread? Why is it hard to see that the Catholic Church believes that sex is for procreation within marriage? You're turning the doctrine on its head to say they encourage STDs and unwanted pregnancy. Such odd interpretations of religion contribute to confusion. When we have a difference of opinion, let's be rational.

How's this for a rational look at the issue:

1 Catholics believe sex is sacred and reserved for a married man and woman (religious view).
2 All sexual acts should be open to the possibility of procreation (religious view).
3 The use of contraceptives by married people violates (2).
4 The use of contraceptives by single people encourages more out of wedlock sex.
5 Catholics don't want STDs or unwanted pregancy any more than any one else does.
6 Abstinence is the key to stop STDs and unwanted pregnancy.

I'm not Catholic and I'm not against contraceptives. I had six kids on purpose. I guess you could say that I'm "pro-having kids", but not "anti-contraceptives".

I would not give contraceptives to teenagers for fear they would take it as yet more license for promiscuity.

This thread is not about contraceptives, but it is about attacking the Catholic church. And, irrational interpretation of religious doctrine leads to unjustified attacks of any faith.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't most people who are attacking the Catholic Church would be attacking the Church if the Church hierarchy were not in the habit of protecting pediophiles.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Why does a chuch that is against contraception deserve to be attacked? Do you really believe that the Catholic church wants STDs and unwanted pregnancies to spread? Why is it hard to see that the Catholic Church believes that sex is for procreation within marriage? You're turning the doctrine on its head to say they encourage STDs and unwanted pregnancy. Such odd interpretations of religion contribute to confusion. When we have a difference of opinion, let's be rational.

1 Catholics believe sex is sacred and reserved for a married man and woman (religious view).
2 All sexual acts should be open to the possibility of procreation (religious view).
4 The use of contraceptives by single people encourages more out of wedlock sex.
5 Catholics don't want STDs or unwanted pregancy any more than any one else does.

I'm not Catholic and I'm not against contraceptives. I had six kids on purpose. I guess you could say that I'm "pro-having kids", but not "anti-contraceptives".

I would not give contraceptives to teenagers for fear they would take it as yet more license for promiscuity.

This thread is not about contraceptives, but it is about attacking the Catholic church. And, irrational interpretation of religious doctrine leads to unjustified attacks of any faith.

so it's better to have std's and unwanted pregnancies then using condoms?
:facepalm:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
What really brought this issue home for me was when I learned that a priest at my wife's church was named in a court case alleging that he had committed abuse. While he died before the case went to trial, so we'll never hear the case against him specifically, it did make this issue much more personal for me. I find it very hard not to look at the Catholic Church as a potential threat.
i have had 3 teachers i know of in my town touch students...hasn't changed how i feel about education. When i talk about the problems with schooling this is not among the issues.

its not so much the bad apples or even the protection of them. but who and what the church was.

waitasec

Veteran Member
i have had 3 teachers i know of in my town touch students...hasn't changed how i feel about education. When i talk about the problems with schooling this is not among the issues.

its not so much the bad apples or even the protection of them. but who and what the church was.
right.
the thing is...the church is supposed to be a beacon of goodness...not a place to protect child molesters.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why does a chuch that is against contraception deserve to be attacked? Do you really believe that the Catholic church wants STDs and unwanted pregnancies to spread?
I think what they want - or what they say they want - is irrelevant to EML's point. They've undertaken a course of action that they know, or ought to know, will result in STDs and unwanted pregnancies. The Catholic Church's actions have the effect of encouraging these things just as much as the anti-vaccination movement encourages measles outbreaks and cervical cancer.

Why is it hard to see that the Catholic Church believes that sex is for procreation within marriage?
Why is it hard to see that limiting non-Catholics' access to contraception won't magically make them observe Catholic teaching on sex and marriage?

You're turning the doctrine on its head to say they encourage STDs and unwanted pregnancy. Such odd interpretations of religion contribute to confusion. When we have a difference of opinion, let's be rational.
IMO, if anything contributes to confusion, it's this idea being perpetuated by you and others that negative consequences of a decision don't speak to the morality of that decision.

Do you also remove the seatbelts and airbags from your car when your kids drive it? After all, you wouldn't want to give them license for reckless driving.

Exactly what do you think is irrational about laying the blame for harm on the people causing it? You apparently think that the Catholic Church has good reason for perpetuating this harm; I and others don't.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If a school board with a history of sexual abuse had abuse policies like those of the Catholic Church today, administered by largely the same people who were in control when the abuse was committed and covered up, I wouldn't leave my (hypothetical) children unsupervised with any teacher in that board. I'd move to another school district, send them to a private school, or even home school them; I wouldn't send them to school there.

Trey of Diamonds

Easy target. Being the oldest version of Christianity currently in existance they are held responsible for all the crimes, (both real and imagined), of all Christians through out the ages.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
a very terrible history tends to give one a bad reputation.

On a per-capita basis, the Jehovah's Witnesses have much more of a terrible history involving children, IMO. A child who dies because he's denied life-saving care represents just as much of a damaged life as a chld who is sexually abused... if not moreso.

And at least there have been apologies and attempts at change (sorta) from the Catholic Church. I've yet to see anything resembling a change of heart from the JWs on the blood transfusion issue.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Thanks for adding six more reasons ;)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think, because I was raised an individualist, that I can't separate very easily the attacking of an entire organization from the separate members. Any organization is going to have their problems, but each individual person from that group is not necessarily be a party to that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think, because I was raised an individualist, that I can't separate very easily the attacking of an entire organization from the separate members. Any organization is going to have their problems, but each individual person from that group is not necessarily be a party to that.

But by remaining a member aren't they giving their approval?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Why do people enjoy attacking the Catholic church so much
Is this a comedy question?
attacking the Catholic church has been a pastime for millions of people throughout the world. the reasons are colourful and diverse.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I don't know, I think it depends. Some might be giving approval. But maybe the individual just feels that the "people in charge" are too powerful to fight. But then they don't really want change their faith/religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I think that depends. The Carholic Church teaches that they're necessary to believers in various ways. I've known Catholics who disagree with Church teaching on all sorts of issues, but still get their children baptized out of concern for their souls, and still attend mass because it's the only place they can get the "real" Eucharist. In that sort of arrangement, I don't think we can necessarily infer that a person approves of the Church any more we can infer that an addict approves of his pusher.

Scott C.

Just one guy
so it's better to have std's and unwanted pregnancies then using condoms?
:facepalm:

:facepalm: Let me try to explain this.

Suppose I had a child who told me that no matter what I said or did, she was on her way out the door to have intercourse. Suppose she said dad: should I protect myself or not? I would probably say, sure protect yourself from pregnancy and STDs, but remember that the spiritual and emotional consequences of abusing God's gift to humankind can't be avoided with any device. As bad as an unwanted pregnancy or STD would be, the spiritual consequences of your actions are even greater. Perhaps you can't recognize them right off, but they are real and will be manifest in time.

Trey of Diamonds

:facepalm: Let me try to explain this.

Suppose I had a child who told me that no matter what I said or did, she was on her way out the door to have intercourse. Suppose she said dad: should I protect myself or not? I would probably say, sure protect yourself from pregnancy and STDs, but remember that the spiritual and emotional consequences of abusing God's gift to humankind can't be avoided with any device. As bad as an unwanted pregnancy or STD would be, the spiritual consequences of your actions are even greater. Perhaps you can't recognize them right off, but they are real and will be manifest in time.

There are no spiritual consequences to having consensual adult sex.