• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people enjoy attacking the Catholic church so much

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have some Catholics in my fam - my dad won't go to church because "church scares the hell of of" him (LOL - pun intended). I guess some of those nuns at the Catholic schools are pretty strict :)

As far as their doctrinal issues (women in the priesthood, birth control, SSM, charity support) I see all of these as being doctrinal issues - everyone should be free to act according to the dictates of their own conscience, let everyone choose which church to go to, and let each church decide what charities to support / what to do with their $ - that's freedom of religion, which is important to support. The abuse scandals are a different story - that I have a problem with, but the other stuff I don't.
Wait one minute: the Catholic Church hasn't only voiced its doctrinal disapproval of same-sex marriage; it's actively campaigned for same-sex marriage to be illegal for everyone. It works against the stance that you say is the proper one on this issue: that each person is free to act according to the dictates of their own conscience. It is actively opposed to freedom of religion as you just described it. You think this is okay?

work in progress

Right now I'm reading a new book on the problems of growing power of churches in America by Sean Faircloth called "Attack Of The Theocrats." In spite of its silly cover art, it's a serious book directed to secularists who are wasting their time right now on prayer-in-school, and nativity scenes and other religious displays on government property, and trying to turn the attention to the major problems like the growingly excessive tax exemptions being abused by all churches (not just Catholic).

And here's one in my home town newspaper from the Catholic Diocese that represents our local Catholic Vietnamese Community: SPECTATOR INVESTIGATION: Priest landlord wants rent in cash, tenants say

This priest, and the local diocese are essentially slumlords by any definition of the word! And there is little excuse as to why city officials that are supposed to monitor unsafe buildings and related violations haven't acted in this case. I suspect that taking on the Catholic Church is a major factor.

So, to all the Catholics out there, instead of wearing your sackcloth and ashes and ******** about being persecuted by us heathens, how about standing up to your ecclesiastical leaders for a change? Are the english-speaking Catholics in my city going to demand an inquiry and confront the priests and local bishop? I doubt it!

Most Catholics reject the Church's official stands on abortion, birth control, gay marriage and a whole host of social issues, but zone out the sermons by the local priests droning on about these issues. Why are the U.S. nuns pretty much left all by themselves in defending liberal Catholic traditions? We know who the Opus Dei politically active freaks are, where are the reasonable, responsible Catholics who should be getting the word up to the rulers in the Vatican that they have gone too far on many issues?

nnmartin

I know there must be many different motivations, I am just curious why this is the last great, accepted predjudice.

To me, most of it's teachings go against human nature, and also the Way of the Bible.

Lies, hypocrisy, evil and bigotry also spring to mind.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
To me, most of it's teachings go against human nature, and also the Way of the Bible.
Lies, hypocrisy, evil and bigotry also spring to mind.
The Catholic church has IMO betrayed its purpose to a greater extent than any other organization of any type in history. While it has done many good things its actions have contradicted it's foundations to such a degree that IMO it has done more damage to Christianity than any other human agency. For example most of the atrocities used by critics against Christianity are Catholic actions: Crusades, inquisition, witch hunts, forced conversion, the conquistadors, etc....