• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do muslims hate democracy

suncowiam

Most, if not all evidence, suggests free will is illusory. Scientific evidence that you probably don?t have free will

There is a glimmer of hope in the uncertainty of brain static-- but, I'm betting free will won't be found there either. Give it another couple years.
Is Free Will an Illusion? - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

Actually, I agree with you that newer models currently being investigated will debunk free will.

But to say proven is unfair at the moment. :)

outhouse

Atheistically
What is free will, Outhouse? Because your definition obviously isn't the same as the person I originally responded to.. And if you acknowledge that decisions are created in the brain before they are even conscious, it must be a very interesting definition. Your FACT still hasn't been supported by evidence.. And I'm surprised considering 'evidence' may be one of your favorite words.. So I'll trust that you have it somewhere.

Stop the ignorance

If it is not freewill, where do you think the will comes from?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Stop the ignorance

If it is not freewill, where do you think the will comes from?

I'm ignorant.. But now, you want to speculate? Great.

Cause and effect. Your will is the result of your DNA's interactions with the environment, according to physical laws. Like you said (and I never even brought up), the soul is not interjecting your will into your body-- and so there is no alternative here. Stop the ignorance.

Sleeppy

Actually, I agree with you that newer models currently being investigated will debunk free will.

But to say proven is unfair at the moment. :)

And I won't say proven, because there is that "glimmer of hope" I mentioned earlier. I used to believe in free will, as a Christian (I'm still Christian)- but ironically, studying Christianity in relation to my everyday experiences led me to believe free will is just an illusion, and to accept determinism.

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm ignorant.. But now, you want to speculate? Great.

Cause and effect. Your will is the result of your DNA's interactions with the environment, according to physical laws. Like you said (and I never even brought up), the soul is not interjecting your will into your body-- and so there is no alternative here. Stop the ignorance.

:D you ignored the answer out of desperation LOL

If it is not free will, who's will is it?

outhouse

Atheistically
Natural determinism.

:facepalm:

Determinism should not be confused with self-determination of human actions by reasons, motives, and desires.

. Compatibilism refers to the view that free will is, in some sense, compatible with determinism.

outhouse

Atheistically
Some research (founded by the John Templeton Foundation) suggested that reducing a person's belief in free will is dangerous, making them less helpful and more aggressive

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Democracy or even represenative democracy provides a society where a minority has a voice. A minority means a multitude of things in the Islamic worlds and you can divide it many ways.

It can means to Sunnis: Kurds, Sufis, Shias, Jews, Christians, Alevis, Bektashis, Druze, or Hindus.

The same applies for Shias.

Muslims have made the horrible mistake of having religion muddy everything in their society. To marriage, morals(or lack there of), culture, language, law, and politics.

outhouse

Atheistically
Most, if not all evidence, suggests free will is illusory.

Of which I am calling you on, and you failed to build a case.

It is a laughable position created by the ignorance of early men who think gods and demons control your thoughts.

It is not proven in any way shape or form, and no evidence points differently.

Sleeppy

:D you ignored the answer out of desperation LOL

If it is not free will, who's will is it?

You're being dishonest and making a fool of yourself. Your first question asked where human will comes from-- now you're asking an entirely different question, and pretending they're the same (out of desperation). Free will has nothing to do with who owns what. Our individual wills are the result of our unique DNA sequences interacting with the diversity of environmental factors. There is no 'free will', only 'will.'

Sleeppy

Of which I am calling you on, and you failed to build a case.

It is a laughable position created by the ignorance of early men who think gods and demons control your thoughts.

It is not proven in any way shape or form, and no evidence points differently.

Actually all current evidence supports that claim, which is why when I asked you to provide evidence to the contrary, you couldn't- and can't.

Decisions are formed in the brain before they are made conscious. My case was built before I came to it. You have a problem with the building, which isn't my problem.

Sleeppy

For example, a study by John-Dylan Haynes in 2008 showed a similar effect to the one revealed by Libet. After putting participants into an fMRI scanner, he told them to press a button with either their right or left index fingers at their leisure, but that they had to remember the letter that was showing on the screen at the precise moment they were committed to their movement.

The results were shocking. Haynes's data showed that the BP occurred one entire second prior to conscious awareness — and at other times as much as ten seconds. Following the publication of his paper, he told Nature News:

The first thought we had was 'we have to check if this is real.' We came up with more sanity checks than I've ever seen in any other study before.
The cognitive delay, he argued, was likely due to the operation of a network of high-level control areas that were preparing for an upcoming decision long before it entered into conscious awareness. Basically, the brain starts to unconsciously churn in preparation of a decision, and once a set of conditions are met, awareness kicks in, and the movement is made.

In another study, neuroscientist Itzhak Fried put aside the fMRI scanner in favor of digging directly into the brain (so to speak). To that end, he implanted electrodes into the brains of participants in order to record the status of individual neurons — a procedure that gave him an incredibly precise sense of what was going on inside the brain as decisions were being made.

His experiment showed that the neurons lit up with activity as much as 1.5 seconds before the participant made a conscious decision to press a button. And with about 700 milliseconds to go, Fried and his team could predict the timing of decisions with nearly 80% accuracy. In some scenarios, he had as much as 90% predictive accuracy.

Different experiment, similar result.

Fried surmised that volition arises after a change in internally generated fire rates of neuronal assemblies cross a threshold — and that the medial frontal cortex can signal these decisions before a person is aware of them.

"At some point, things that are predetermined are admitted into consciousness," he told Nature, suggesting that the conscious will might be added on to a decision at a later stage.

Scientific evidence that you probably don?t have free will

All of the evidence is on one side here.

Sonofason

By that logic we should make christianity the one ruling power here in Europe. Bring Monarchy and king back. Heresy for witchcraft, burn the witches! Cut of the hands of the thief!

Just like in middle east there is beheadings for being gay, death penalty for leaving islam and the best part. Kill woman for adultery, because obviously being raped in the secret counts as adultery... oh dear :sad4:

Theocracy certainly makes Frollo the good guy.
evilness.png

Democracy is of the devil apparently :rainbow1:

Be careful what you wish for.

Sleeppy

:biglaugh:

Quote mining like a creationist wont save you now.

It is unproven, and you remain unsubstantiated in your conclusions

Laughable.. I'm sorry you're offended. --And again, you're the only one quote mining, and unsubstantiated here. Add another emoticon to make you feel better.

outhouse

Atheistically
At the same time, however, not everyone is convinced. It may be a while before we can truly prove that free will is an illusion.

That Is from your own source.

Sleeppy

At the same time, however, not everyone is convinced. It may be a while before we can truly prove that free will is an illusion.

That Is from your own source.

Who is "not everyone"? And what experiments did they perform? Good luck.