• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do muslim fanatics hate historic monuments ?

outhouse

Atheistically
Fanatic and Muslim cant be used in the same sentence.

Why?

It is defined as, a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

You think all Muslims are clear from that definition?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I've never heard of any Xians wanting to build a church on the Temple mount. Is there some nuance to this story that might enlighten the subject a tad?
Sure, it is an ancient prophecy that many US evangelicals believe. The old temple must be destroyed and the new built to herald the return of Jesus. Wackos have been getting arrested in Jerusalem for decades for trying to precipitate it.

True, but look at what Christians have destroyed in the name of their faith. The temple of Artemis, and so much more. How is this anymore acceptable?
That was 1500 years ago. Are Xtians doing this now? In their hundreds of thousands? I don't think so. When there is a murder down the street; do you bang on about your grandad being burgled 60 years ago?

Looncall

Its not all muslims, because islam is wide and diverse. But these are just normal muslims for that geographic location. I think the mistake people is not blaming the cultures and focusing on the religion.

That is hard to do because the religion is so ingrained in the culture, it is hard to separate the two.
This is a fair point. However, if a behaviour of muslims manifests across diverse cultures, surely it is reasonable to attribute it to the religion.

This is a fair point. However, if a behaviour of muslims manifests across diverse cultures, surely it is reasonable to attribute it to the religion.
In this case the religion pretty much is the culture and vice-versa. A couple of folk have spoken up for the Koran and blamed the Hadith. A couple of friends of mine had a read a few weeks ago. They couldn't seem to find anything but hate-filled stabby nonsense in the Koran. This has been the report of almost everyone I know. None of them have had any particular axe to grind and most reported shock, having believed the claim that what they had heard about it were Islamophobic lies. Not that anyone else should feel superior. Both Xtianity and Judaism had their swivel-eyed loony years (and still have their swivel-eyed loony minority) and you see similar outbreaks amongst Hindus and Buddhists.

JoStories

That was 1500 years ago. Are Xtians doing this now? In their hundreds of thousands? I don't think so. When there is a murder down the street; do you bang on about your grandad being burgled 60 years ago?

No, but the point was that the parallels are blatant, IMO. Look at the history of Christianity and what it had done in the name of its faith and then compare that to what Muslim extremists are doing now. In time, IMO, Muslim extremists, I hope, will see the errors and stop what they are doing, which is what the RCC and other Christian fundamentalists did. There is a good book on the history of fundamentalists by Karen Armstrong if you are of a mood. Rather dry but a good source.

NoX

Why?

It is defined as, a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

You think all Muslims are clear from that definition?

Yes, a Muslim is clear from that definition. These concepts are directly forbidden in Islam, just need to read some Quran. People usually dont read Quran, they choose some specific verses for themselves and they generate ideas about Islam based on prejudices. :rolleyes:

outhouse

Atheistically

Yes it is reasonable to attribute it to the religion to some degree.

My point is that primitive people will act primitively no matter what religion they follow. I think the religion does guide their hatred in certain directions though.

And I do not deny fanaticism and fundamentalism are required by followers.

I personally am rather bitter over the destruction of historical artifacts barbarians have no clue is their real heritage.

outhouse

Atheistically
. People usually dont read Quran, they choose some specific verses for themselves and they generate ideas about Islam based on prejudices. :rolleyes:

This applies to many muslims.

And all your really saying is muslims disagree with other muslims.

The sectarian violence over interpretation is where most of the trouble starts, correct?

These concepts are directly forbidden in Islam, just need to read some Quran.

And yet there are more then likely concepts they are following in the book that back this behavior.

Im not fighting you, just trying to figure out where your coming from.

NoX

The sectarian violence over interpretation is where most of the trouble starts, correct?

There is no sects in Islam. Sects are created based on hadiths (story,tale). This is why Allah forbids to following hadiths in Quran. So those who identify themselves as shia, sunni, ahmadi or whatever are not Muslims for us.

And yet there are more then likely concepts they are following in the book that back this behavior.

Im not fighting you, just trying to figure out where your coming from.

Not actually, there is no such concepts in Quran, but if you try your best to understand verses as you wish by distorting their real meanings, ofcourse you may achieve so fantastic and horrible things :eek:

outhouse

Atheistically
There is no sects in Islam. Sects are created based on hadiths (story,tale). This is why Allah forbids to following hadiths in Quran. So those who identify themselves as shia, sunni, ahmadi or whatever are not Muslims for us.

Oh, so you are not muslims to them?