• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do muslim fanatics hate historic monuments ?

Looncall

In the last while I have read of Taliban destroying ancient statues, Saudis destroying historic sites, Boko Haram trashing historic (muslim!) libraries and now IS smashing Assyrian sites.

Why does entheusiastic islam commit these crimes against humanity's cultural inheritance?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
They probably think all those pieces of art are forms of idolatry. That's why they're destroying them.

Such a terrible loss for such a stupid reason.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
In the last while I have read of Taliban destroying ancient statues, Saudis destroying historic sites, Boko Haram trashing historic (muslim!) libraries and now IS smashing Assyrian sites.

Why does entheusiastic islam commit these crimes against humanity's cultural inheritance?

Does "enthusiastic Islam " equate to "Muslim fanatics"?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Lack of compassion and empathy. It's a selfish act of aggrandization and hopelessly narcissistic self and religious group identity.

Brainwashed gits.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You'd have to ask them. I'd suspend judgement until then.

That said, this sort of thing is hardly new. The exclusivist monotheisms have been doing this since their inception. Destruction of indigenous religions in any fashion possible is pretty much how they got a stranglehold on religion in the West in the first place. If you can destroy it, destroy it. Erase it from history and memory. If you can't destroy it, demonize it. Make it taboo and evil with slander and gossip. And all the while, make sure to secure positions of power so the rule of law and the military is on your side, so you can crush your enemies when they dare to stand against you. All of this, unsurprisingly, still goes on today. Sometimes it takes a different guise that isn't labeled as religious. On a hourly basis, humans commit crimes against the planet's ecological inheritance, which, though I wince to say it, is a far more systemic and dire problem than the wasting of a few Pagan monuments.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's a form of totalitarian monotheistic exclusivism. They view such things as idolatry. They must be destroyed as dangerous and sinful distractions from the "one true God" and "one true way of life".

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What I was thinking of is that this sort of thing crops up any time muslins are somehow "off the leash"; not under the boot of a tyrant or living among a more civilized culture.

What I was thinking was that you were going to try to lower the bar by increments so you could eventually include all Muslims and refer back to your thread title if anyone objected.

I still think that, btw.

Looncall

What I was thinking was that you were going to try to lower the bar by increments so you could eventually include all Muslims and refer back to your thread title if anyone objected.

I still think that, btw.
I don't think that. I have worked with muslims who were fine folks but also with others who were frankly barbarous.

MD

qualiaphile
ISIS is a fringe group, but there are other groups of muslims like Wahhabists and Salafists who are pretty close in terms of extremism and they number in the hundreds of millions. Not to mention their growing influence in Pakistan and Afghanistan due to KSA petrodollars.

This isn't some bogeyman. If the Pakistani army becomes an army of salafists then they will not hesitate to start a nuclear war with India.

We should really ask our politicians why they do business with such people.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

the statues they destroy are religious in nature... they are remnants of ancient pagan idoatrous religions and the people destroying them are islamist fundamentalists who adhere to a very strict observance of the quran. No idol worship is permitted in their ideology so they destroy anything associated with idol worship.

I wonder why they dont take the same view about Mecca where pilgrims bow before the idol there????

psychoslice

Veteran Member
the statues they destroy are religious in nature... they are remnants of ancient pagan idoatrous religions and the people destroying them are islamist fundamentalists who adhere to a very strict observance of the quran. No idol worship is permitted in their ideology so they destroy anything associated with idol worship.

I wonder why they dont take the same view about Mecca where pilgrims bow before the idol there????

That's a good point, its the same with the Jews who don't like idols, but they idolize and pray to the western wall.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It was a common practice of the Christian colonists in many countries to destroy temples and build churches on top of the ruins, just as many US Christians today hope to build a Church on top of the ruins of the temple on the mount in Jerusalem. The modern fanatics are simply perpetuating an ancient religious practice.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Peace be on all.
Holy Quran does not ask to destroy historical things.
Verse 14, Note 3140 and commentary:
5VC2458.jpg

The Holy Quran

Those who destroy things seems to be under false impression that people are worshiping these objects.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It was a common practice of the Christian colonists in many countries to destroy temples and build churches on top of the ruins, just as many US Christians today hope to build a Church on top of the ruins of the temple on the mount in Jerusalem. The modern fanatics are simply perpetuating an ancient religious practice.
I've never heard of any Xians wanting to build a church on the Temple mount. Is there some nuance to this story that might enlighten the subject a tad?

JoStories

Christianity did the same thing in the dark ages. The cultural and historical evolution of Islam mirrors Christianity very closely if you choose to study this.