• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people assume God is benevolent?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well who would create a paradise for his slaves and not be benevolent? He has his terms and conditions though, accept or suffer. He's selectively and not universally benevolent.
"I accept that God is benevolent" is not really an answer to "Why is God benevolent?"

GabrielWithoutWings

Because the only thing worse than thinking that the sum total of all your life experiences were for absolutely nothing is to think that the Creator (at best) doesn't care one whit what happens to you or (at worst) actually derives much pleasure from your suffering.

It's the same reason people would like trust their government, even if they don't.

wel if an omnipotant god was evil we would have alot of suffering like hunger diseases wars, wat was i saying again, o ye gods obviusly good

PureX

Veteran Member
I choose to believe that God is benevolent because if God does exist, I would WANT God to be so.

Also, if I assume that existence is a reflection of this divine creative force I call "God", then I can see benevolence expressed in the way of existence. For example; variety. It appears to me that existence has been designed to allow for the greatest variety of forms and expressions of energy. It's true that the individual forms are finite in time, but each is being continually replaced with newer and different forms.

I also find a kind of benevolence expressed in the egalitarian finitude of individual existence. Everything passes away, and is replaced. Whole galaxies pass away just the same as the smallest speck of life. Everything is given it's time and it's chance to exist.

And lastly, I am awed by the pure beauty of existence. I feel surrounded by love because I am surrounded by such an amazing variety of energy. My own existence feels like a wonderful gift, and so I'm very grateful for it. And I'm grateful to be sharing it with so many other different expressions of being.

Random

If a real moral order actually existed, God's omnipotence would severely contradict his omnibenevolence, to the point of negating his own existence.

But most people cannot make it this far intellectually, though, so...assumptions abound.

But since such an order does not exist, we may assume as we like; and do.

itar

as a Muslim I believe that god is benevolent and we can t number his bounties . god gives us some simple things but very valuable for example eyes nose mouth hands food and also the ability of forgetting ........

The benevolent attributes of God Almighty are set forth briefly in the Surah Fatihah, where it is said: All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of the worlds, Most Gracious, Ever Merciful, Master of the Day of Judgment (1:2-4).

I want also to shed light on a question that a lot of people ask: if God is benevolent, why lot of people are suffering??
so I think that people who are making themselves suffering . God create us to help each others to avoid wars to give charity....
and there is another people who are ungrateful and looking for a perfect life . I want to tell them that the perfect life is the eternal one but this one is ephemeral

cardero

Citizen Mod

It is the only way one can justify their fear and misunderstanding that they may have entered into a relationship that they cannot leave or would normally not encourage with others. Victims who suffer emotional, physical abuse usually try to find the best in their relationship or make excuses for their partner’s behavior or are desperately searching for reasons for staying or display faith that the relationship will get better. The same methods are evident for anyone who supports a Supreme being who is constantly judging, demanding obedience and threatening one with punishment or separation.

Last edited:

rojse

RF Addict
wel if an omnipotant god was evil we would have alot of suffering like hunger diseases wars, wat was i saying again, o ye gods obviusly good

Two poinst. Firstly, say, during World War Two, god was not benevolent, but after that, he was? Or during World War One, he was not benevolent, after that, he was?

Or what about all of the wars that are occuring right now, and that two thirds of the world live in poverty, not just in the third world?

rojse

RF Addict
Papersock, GabrielWithoutWings

So, the only reason you both believe in a benevolent God is that the alternative is too awful to contemplate?

logician

The first question is why do people assume there is a valid god concept, secondly, if there is one, there is no reason whatsoever this concept must of necessity include a benevolent god.