• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do i feel as if i believe in all religions?

ladybug77

On the surface, this would seem contradicting...

And im not trying to be disrespectful...please know that.
But on a larger scale...i find myself believing in all religion.

It makes it not contradicting anymore...when you realize that Thiesm gets along with Athiesm. (Or i least it does to me.)

(as much as i try to not use the word 'God' to explain things...i dont know what other words to use.) So bare with me.

Thiesm is a BELIEF in 'Gods' or 'Gods'
Athiesm is a BELIEF that there is no 'Gods' or 'Gods'

Since we cannot prove either one...i believe in all possibilties!
So i DO believe there is 'God' while being capable of DENYING there may NOT be one.

As for the religions that state thier way is the only way...
I believe that is possibly true. (As we have no way of knowing)
But also that it might NOT be true that ONE religion is either 'right' or 'wrong'

But religions have aspects in common with each other...
There are several 'Holy Books' within different religions...and to me...it seems they have the same general points...besides...people wrote religious text...not a 'God'. (Unless you believe that people themselves are 'Gods'...but not necessarily THE ONE 'God')

So it all seems correct to me...while also be incorrect. Regardless the WHOLE religion itself most definitely contradicts another religion in its ENTIRETY. But there are things they all have in common.

I guess i believe at that common ground, and honestly i feel as if im either very nieve, or very wise in doing so. (Id like to think its more wise, because im able to accept others beliefs, not put them down, and treat them with respect.) And respect itself does not seem wrong.

Am i on the entire religious spectrum at once? Or not on the spectrum at all?

I dont think i can be labeled.

Any input?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Any input?

Yes you are, and yes you can, and there's nothing wrong with your view. ;)

It's called universalism... the belief that all religions are valid for their followers. Consider what Gandhi said: “I came to the conclusion long ago that all religions were true and that also that all had some error in them, and while I hold by my own religion, I should hold other religions as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we were Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu; but our innermost prayer should be that a Hindu should become a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, and a Christian a better Christian.”

If you believe a God exists, but doesn't intervene in the world, that's 'deism'.

There are several 'Holy Books' within different religions...and to me...it seems they have the same general points...besides...people wrote religious text...not a 'God'. (Unless you believe that people themselves are 'Gods'...but not necessarily THE ONE 'God')

So it all seems correct to me...while also be incorrect. Regardless the WHOLE religion itself most definitely contradicts another religion in its ENTIRETY. But there are things they all have in common.

Getting past all the fluff, distortions, misinterpretations and mistranslations, misuses and abuses of holy books, you are right. There are certain basic universal truths. The Rig Veda says there's one truth known by many names.

The Buddha said: "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

The Hua Hu Ching written by Lao Tzu says: "Dualistic thinking is a sickness. Religion is a distortion. Materialism is cruel. Blind spirituality is unreal. Chanting is no more holy than listening to the murmur of a stream; counting prayer beads no more sacred than simply breathing; religious robes no more spiritual than work clothes. If you wish to attain oneness with the Tao, don’t get caught up in spiritual superficialities. Instead, live a quiet and simple life, free of ideas and concepts. Find contentment in the practice of undiscriminating virtue, the only true power. Giving to others selflessly and anonymously, radiating light throughout the world and illuminating your own darkness, your virtue becomes a sanctuary for yourself and all beings. This is what is meant by embodying the Tao." Tao could mean God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
... and when contradictions appear, you do what?

What exactly are some commonalities, in your view?

ladybug77

... and when contradictions appear, you do what?

What exactly are some commonalities, in your view?

They are all based on 'Gods' or 'Gods'...or not based on any 'Gods' or 'Gods' all at.
But NOT being based on God...is still based on God. Lol. Get what i mean.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Maybe you are just focused on some universal religious aspirations and convinced yourself that they emanate from God?

ladybug77

Yes you are, and yes you can, and there's nothing wrong with your view. ;)

It's called universalism... the belief that all religions are valid for their followers. Consider what Gandhi said: “I came to the conclusion long ago that all religions were true and that also that all had some error in them, and while I hold by my own religion, I should hold other religions as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we were Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu; but our innermost prayer should be that a Hindu should become a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, and a Christian a better Christian.”

If you believe a God exists, but doesn't intervene in the world, that's 'deism'.

Getting past all the fluff, distortions, misinterpretations and mistranslations, misuses and abuses of holy books, you are right. There are certain basic universal truths. The Rig Veda says there's one truth known by many names.

The Buddha said: "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

The Hua Hu Ching written by Lao Tzu says: "Dualistic thinking is a sickness. Religion is a distortion. Materialism is cruel. Blind spirituality is unreal. Chanting is no more holy than listening to the murmur of a stream; counting prayer beads no more sacred than simply breathing; religious robes no more spiritual than work clothes. If you wish to attain oneness with the Tao, don’t get caught up in spiritual superficialities. Instead, live a quiet and simple life, free of ideas and concepts. Find contentment in the practice of undiscriminating virtue, the only true power. Giving to others selflessly and anonymously, radiating light throughout the world and illuminating your own darkness, your virtue becomes a sanctuary for yourself and all beings. This is what is meant by embodying the Tao." Tao could mean God.

Thank you. :) i find alot of good info while reseaching Buddism. But im not saying im a buddist.

But then what does a Universalist practice? Do they pray? Or?? You see my dilema...?? Although i believe in all religions....do i put my energy into just one? Or into the bits and pieces i believe from each?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
On the surface, this would seem contradicting...

And im not trying to be disrespectful...please know that.
But on a larger scale...i find myself believing in all religion.

It makes it not contradicting anymore...when you realize that Thiesm gets along with Athiesm. (Or i least it does to me.)

(as much as i try to not use the word 'God' to explain things...i dont know what other words to use.) So bare with me.

Thiesm is a BELIEF in 'Gods' or 'Gods'
Athiesm is a BELIEF that there is no 'Gods' or 'Gods'

Since we cannot prove either one...i believe in all possibilties!
So i DO believe there is 'God' while being capable of DENYING there may NOT be one.

As for the religions that state thier way is the only way...
I believe that is possibly true. (As we have no way of knowing)
But also that it might NOT be true that ONE religion is either 'right' or 'wrong'

I guess i believe at that common ground, and honestly i feel as if im either very nieve, or very wise in doing so. (Id like to think its more wise, because im able to accept others beliefs, not put them down, and treat them with respect.) And respect itself does not seem wrong.

Any input?

It seems you recognize many possibilities. That's not the same as believing all these competing claims are true. That would not be possible as they are contradictory. You are basically agnostic.

ladybug77

It seems you recognize many possibilities. That's not the same as believing all these competing claims are true. That would not be possible as they are contradictory. You are basically agnostic.

No. Im not agnostic....i personally believe there is ONE 'God' supreme..and there are other 'Gods' aswell. Not-supreme. And that we are all tiny 'gods' or at least 'god-like'...

BUT i do not disqualify Athiests beliefs as True.
Am saying my belief could be wrong...but that i believe it anyways...and that others could be right.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you. :) i find alot of good info while reseaching Buddism. But im not saying im a buddist.

But then what does a Universalist practice? Do they pray? Or?? You see my dilema...?? Although i believe in all religions....do i put my energy into just one? Or into the bits and pieces i believe from each?

A universalist doesn't really practice, but believes in the validity and commonality in all religions. It seems to me you are at a point where you're looking to codify and coalesce your beliefs, i.e. give them a name. I really don't call myself anything... not Hindu, not Buddhist, not Taoist, not Christian. I simply codified and coalesced my beliefs into what I'm practicing, though my practice has its roots in all those religions I mentioned. Yes, you can cherry-pick. There need be no contradictions, because you don't have to take any single religion hook, line and sinker. There's another saying (I love sayings :D) that God shows himself in a way meaningful to the believer.

Contradictions, I found, are usually from "all the fluff, distortions, misinterpretations and mistranslations, misuses and abuses of holy books" I mentioned, that are piled and heaped on the core tenets of the religion. Usually in the form of rituals that few people know the origin or purpose of. Most religions are syncretizations, melding and amalgamations from other religions. Buddhism is, Hinduism is, Christianity is... they are all blended and melded from earlier beliefs. Buddhism, for example, is replete with Hindu and Chinese deities.

ladybug77

Maybe you are just focused on some universal religious aspirations and convinced yourself that they emanate from God?

Hum...yes and no. The idea came from my own head...was it god speaking to me? Lol...i dont know. Or was it me speaking to myself? Probably. But you are right...God is a dangerous word to use. But...the god in me came up with it. And apparently...im not the only one who thinks this way...

ladybug77

A universalist doesn't really practice, but believes in the validity and commonality in all religions. It seems to me you are at a point where you're looking to codify and coalesce your beliefs, i.e. give them a name. I really don't call myself anything... not Hindu, not Buddhist, not Taoist, not Christian. I simply codified and coalesced my beliefs into what I'm practicing, though my practice has its roots in all those religions I mentioned. Yes, you can cherry-pick. There need be no contradictions, because you don't have to take any single religion hook, line and sinker. There's another saying (I love sayings :D) that God shows himself in a way meaningful to the believer.

Contradictions, I found, are usually from "all the fluff, distortions, misinterpretations and mistranslations, misuses and abuses of holy books" I mentioned, that are piled and heaped on the core tenets of the religion. Usually in the form of rituals that few people know the origin or purpose of. Most religions are syncretizations, melding and amalgamations from other religions. Buddhism is, Hinduism is, Christianity is... they are all blended and melded from earlier beliefs. Buddhism, for example, is replete with Hindu and Chinese deities.

Yeah! Thats the thought that came to mind while i was thinking about jesus the other day. Christianity cant be the ONLY way...jesus had to practice something...so i went backwards...religion is like branches of a tree...same root.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Get what i mean.

No. Sounds to me you just 'allow' contradictions to exist. God, or not god, it doesn't matter. Heaven/hell or reincarnation, it doesn't matter.

Certainly it's a belief (in non-belief), and you're not alone.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
If im not labled...where should i go to find people like me to discuss??

There is a wide variety of folks with diverse beliefs all over the forum. Just stay out of the blue DIR's (except to ask respectful questions) and you should be fine.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I am interested in all religions also, but that certainly doesn't mean I have to cling to any of them and make camp there, the truth is forever flowing, you cannot pack it into a package and believe you have it, when you believe you have it will always slip away.