• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians believe that Jesus is God?

Genna

verita said:
Jesus is God because the Apostle Tomas called him God….

Joh 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
Joh 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.
Joh 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them. Jesus cometh, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Joh 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and see my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and put it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
Joh 20:28 Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Joh 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. [ASB]

Perhpaps this disciple was merely excited at Jesus' resurrection which is why he cried "My God!" and not that he believed that Jesus was God.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Genna said:
Perhpaps this disciple was merely excited at Jesus' resurrection which is why he cried "My God!" and not that he believed that Jesus was God.

I doubt that. If most people back then were Jewish they probably adhered to the commandment "Thou shalt not take the Lord thy God's name in vain". It's one of the big 10 you know.

Genna

beckysoup61 said:
I doubt that. If most people back then were Jewish they probably adhered to the commandment "Thou shalt not take the Lord thy God's name in vain". It's one of the big 10 you know.

Then maybe the disciple was speaking to two persons "My Lord" (Jesus) and My God (Jesus' Father in Heaven)?

nutshell

Genna said:
Then maybe the disciple was speaking to two persons "My Lord" (Jesus) and My God (Jesus' Father in Heaven)?

or maybe there is no trickery and the meaning is as plain as the nose on your face.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
You shoot down and ridicule almost every answer to the many quesions you have posed on this board. Despite that, many posters have given you the benefit of the doubt that you truly ARE trying to find answers and thus have not responded in kind to your rudeness and ridicule....
After wading through page after page of this thread and skipping over the personality rifts, my only observation would be that this pretty much sums up the tone of the OP.

A little sad, really.

Genna

nutshell said:
or maybe there is no trickery and the meaning is as plain as the nose on your face.

ha, there are many confussing passages in the bible which isn't so plain after scholarly interpretations. Have you encountered the many scholarly interpretations of the John 1:1 that so many Orthodox Christians use? ha!

Genna

Moon Woman said:
After wading through page after page of this thread and skipping over the personality rifts, my only observation would be that this pretty much sums up the tone of the OP.

A little sad, really.

Why? because the men and women cannot provide me with the answers I am looking for? You feel sad, does not matter to me, I will keep searching for answers.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Genna said:
Why? because the men and women cannot provide me with the answers I am looking for? You feel sad, does not matter to me, I will keep searching for answers.

Why should we provide an answer for you?

We have, but you don't like them, so do not tell any of us we haven't provided answer, just because you don't like them gives you not a single right to tell us that they aren't valid.

Genna

Moon Woman said:
In a nutshell: Yes. ;)

As I said before, please do a research on some of these "simple and plain" bible verses, you will see for yourself that some they are not so plain.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Genna said:
ha, there are many confussing passages in the bible which isn't so plain after scholarly interpretations. Have you encountered the many scholarly interpretations of the John 1:1 that so many Orthodox Christians use? ha!

Like Nutshell said, maybe it is that plain and people just like to make it complicated because it seems more 'religious'.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Genna said:
As I said before, please do a research on some of these "simple and plain" bible verses, you will see for yourself that some they are not so plain.

To us they are, you are just making it more complicated for yourself.

Genna

beckysoup61 said:
Why should we provide an answer for you?

We have, but you don't like them, so do not tell any of us we haven't provided answer, just because you don't like them gives you not a single right to tell us that they aren't valid.

Why is everyone picking on me? it is not that I do not like them, it is that there are too many opinions and personal interpretations which are in opposition. The muslims have shown me many contextual evidence which seems to refute the Christians belief of Jesus and agree with mines. So it seems as if the Christians here are bias, not me!

nutshell

Genna said:

I'm not sure what "ha" refers to, but you used it twice so it must be important.

I'm not familiar with the "many scholarly interpretations of the John 1:1." Perhaps you'd like to share them with me since you made the claim.

It seems plain and simple to me. The Word refers to Jesus Christ who was with God in the beginning and is God.

There. That wasn't so hard.

Genna

nutshell said:
I'm not sure what "ha" refers to, but you used it twice so it must be important.

I'm not familiar with the "many scholarly interpretations of the John 1:1." Perhaps you'd like to share them with me since you made the claim.

It seems plain and simple to me. The Word refers to Jesus Christ who was with God in the beginning and is God.

There. That wasn't so hard.

This is just one example, you will see the intricacies found within:

http://www.biblicalunitarian.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=85
http://www.biblicalunitarian.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=61

read it and you will see that it is not so simple.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
"The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."
From John 10

He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."
From John 6

Luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes."

Jesus is a plain-talker... consider his audience.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Genna said:
Why is everyone picking on me? it is not that I do not like them, it is that there are too many opinions and personal interpretations which are in opposition. The muslims have shown me many contextual evidence which seems to refute the Christians belief of Jesus and agree with mines. So it seems as if the Christians here are bias, not me!

I'm not picking on you, so stop playing the victim.

To each it is simple, if you try to look it as a whole, it may be confusing.

Find what you agree with and go with it.

Genna

Moon Woman said:
"The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."
From John 10

He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."
From John 6

Luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes."

Jesus is a plain-talker... consider his audience.

OK, I am not trying to be obstinate, but where in the passages you have cited does it prove that Jesus is God? How does Jesus saying that he and his father are one equate to being God? he is speaking of Unity here, just as this is:

John 17:22 - And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Christ prays that his followers can be "one" in Unity (even as) he and his father are "one," how does this equate to Christ being God? understand m8?

Genna

beckysoup61 said:
I'm not picking on you, so stop playing the victim.

To each it is simple, if you try to look it as a whole, it may be confusing.

Find what you agree with and go with it.

Please take a look at the links I gave "nutshell" then tell me if it is as simple as many think.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Genna,

Here are a few verses which refer to God and Christ interchangeably.

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that he might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Speak these things, exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you." Tit. 2:11-15

"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given: and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God." Isaiah 9:6

"My Father who has given them to me is greater than all: and no one is able to snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and My Father are one." John 10:29-30

"Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." John 8:58

After Christ arose...he spoke to Thomas and when Thomas saw him he replied...

"My Lord and my God!." John 20:28

In John 1:1-5...the Eternal Word is defined as being both God and Christ...

"In the beginning, was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not comprehend it."

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. Colossians 1:16