• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians believe that Jesus is God?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
may said:
yes he was talking to his first-born son Jesus, Jesus had a pre-human life in heaven with his father Jehovah and that is who Jehovah God was talking too.
I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but who do the Jehovah's Witnesses believe was God's second-born son? I've always thought of Jesus as being God's Only Begotten Son.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Snowbear said:
Wouldn't want to leave anyone out on the joke, now would we :D
I don't know. It was your call, hon.

That's the whole point of unconditional forgiveness.... I forgot... what was it I forgave you for??
You mean what was it you forgave me for most recently? ;) I don't remember either. All I know is that I am really not enjoying this, regardless of what you might think.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Snowbear said:
So stop.
Your call.
A ceasefire only works if (1) both sides agree to it (2), both are willing to accept responsibility for the conflict, and (3) both are sincerely willing to put it behind them and not continue to bring it up over and over again. It doesn't work if one party continues to pretend it's all one-sided.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Snowbear said:
My offer of forgiveness and (and later trying to tell you it's forgotten) was my feeble attempt at calling a truce.
You took it as an attack.

:shrug: You were the one who said you were enjoying this 'new-found freedom of expression.'
I've been letting you have your fun.
I'll go along with however you choose to proceed.
If you want to keep jabbing, I'll keep responding.
If you want to stop, then just stop. It's up to you, Katz.

Snowbear, from what I've seen and not just cause Kathryn is my friend, you bring itup over and over again, with me as well.

It's not just Katz that sees it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Snowbear said:
My offer of forgiveness and (and later trying to tell you it's forgotten) was my feeble attempt at calling a truce.
You took it as an attack.

:shrug: You were the one who said you were enjoying this 'new-found freedom of expression.'
I've been letting you have your fun.
I'll go along with however you choose to proceed.
If you want to keep jabbing, I'll keep responding.
If you want to stop, then just stop. It's up to you, Katz.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...

A ceasefire only works if (1) both sides agree to it (2), both are willing to accept responsibility for the conflict, and (3) both are sincerely willing to put it behind them and not continue to bring it up over and over again. It doesn't work if one party continues to pretend it's all one-sided.

It doesn't sound to me as if you're ready yet. That's okay. I'll be around for awhile yet.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Snowbear said:
Keep jabbing, I'll keep responding.

Katz's buddies?

From the given quote it doesn't sound like forgive and forget, but then again, what do I know, I'm just one of Katz's 'buddies'.

Besides this is off topic. I'm done now.

verita

Jesus Christ is God because God the Father Almighty called him God…
Heb 1:1 God, having spoken in former times in fragmentary and varied fashion to our forefathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2 has in these last days spoken to us by a Son whom he appointed to be the heir of everything and through whom he also made the universe.
Heb 1:3 He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact likeness of his being, and he holds everything together by his powerful word. After he had provided a cleansing from sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Highest Majesty
Heb 1:4 and became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is better than theirs.
Heb 1:5 For to which of the angels did God ever say, "You are my Son. Today I have become your Father"? Or again, "I will be his Father, and he will be my Son"?
Heb 1:6 And again, when he brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."
Heb 1:7 Now about the angels he says, "He makes his angels winds, and his servants flames of fire."
Heb 1:8 But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the scepter of your kingdom is a righteous scepter.
Heb 1:9 You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness. That is why God, your God, anointed you rather than your companions with the oil of gladness."

verita

Jesus is God because the Apostle Tomas called him God….

Joh 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
Joh 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.
Joh 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them. Jesus cometh, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Joh 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and see my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and put it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
Joh 20:28 Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Joh 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. [ASB]

logician

"The ultimately profound poster has spoken."

Thanks, you are so kind.
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

You do recognize saracsm, don't you?"

Yes, do you?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Snowbear said:
I've been ready. Let me know when you are.
So have I.

I hereby agree to call a truce with Snowbear, provided:

(1) Snowbear is willing to admit that the conflict has not been one-sided and that she has made unnecessarily sarcastic and inflammatory remarks.
(2) Snowbear will put past differences and hurt feelings behind her and not continue to bring up past issues.

If Snowbear agrees to both of the above statements, I, Katzpur will:

(1) Admit equal responsibility for unkind and or thoughtless remarks made to Snowbear.
(2) Put past differences behind me and make every effort to resume the relationship as if from scratch.

lunamoth

Will to love
Katzpur said:
All "doctrine" really means is "teaching." Jesus' teachings were His doctrines. Are you saying all doctrines are man-made?

Hi Kat,

I was referring to the usage that a doctrine is a tenet of a religion, but I suppose that this is not really different than a 'teaching.' Every time we read something, including the Bible, we interpret it. Thus, even the teachings of Jesus recorded in the Bible are filtered through our human minds. If it were not the case then there would be one self-evident meaning to all of the stories and events and sayings of the Bible and as we have discussed before, we would all come to the same understanding. That is clearly not how it is. The term 'man-made' then becomes an epithet meaning 'a false teaching not accepted by me or my group.'

I think there are teachings that transcend this kind of misunderstanding. I might call them 'More than man-made' and they are there in abundance in the Bible. You and I could probably come up with a few if we put our heads together. But, on everything for which we disagree, whose doctrine will it be that is man-made?

I also liked Soj's answers to this, although he took it in a slightly different direction than I. :)

luna

verita

Jesus Christ is God because Saint John said.…
1Jo 5:19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in the evil one.
1Jo 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

may

verita said:
Jesus Christ is God because…
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

God the Father Almighty “said” to his son, God the Son listen to his Father and “made”.

Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Gen 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
Gen 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
yes Jehovah God has great power , and his son Jesus listens to his father, that is why we should listen to Jesus because everything that he teaches comes from the Almighty Jehovah , Yes Jesus had the best teacher there could be. Jesus was the only thing created by Jehovah himself , that is why Jesus is called the ONLY-BEGOTTEN, but everything else that was created was through Jesus , but the power to create came from the Almighty Jehovah God, he is the most high as psalm 83;18 tells us. yes ,Jesus is Gods ONLY- BEGOTTEN SON , he is not the most high himself .

Genna

Mick in England said:
The Trinity is like an oyster, God and Jesus are the two halves sharing the same guts- the holy spirit.
I have no problem at all with that "separate but-one" concept..

I thought you didn't believe that Jesus is God? why do you use the term "Trinity"? The Trinity is used to describe 3 persons, each who are God.