• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do believers love God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To me, your thoughts on God's existence and on God's nature are separate questions, if loosely related.
Indeed, God can exist and not necessarily be Loving..... that is just what most people want to believe about God.
I want to believe whatever is true, although I don't think we can ever know the nature of God.

RestlessSoul

That's true, we are always moving, but someone can be stuck on certain issues, like for me the nature of God.

Yeah, it’s in our nature to do that. I find I am always more comfortable when we I can Let go and let God, but when God is the subject to begin with, that may be a little more difficult.

I think I’ve discussed similar issues with you before, so sorry if I’m repeating myself; I have often found myself getting angry with God. But that’s okay, I think. In the end, I trust that God does have a plan for us all, but I can’t always see it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah, it’s in our nature to do that. I find I am always more comfortable when we I can Let go and let God, but when God is the subject to begin with, that may be a little more difficult.

I think I’ve discussed similar issues with you before, so sorry if I’m repeating myself; I have often found myself getting angry with God. But that’s okay, I think. In the end, I trust that God does have a plan for us all, but I can’t always see it.
I do trust God even though I do not love God... I am sure that sounds odd to most people, but if you think about it, do we love everyone we trust? I trust my veterinarian and my mechanic but I do not love them.

What do you mean, God has a plan for us? Do you mean in conjunction with our free will? God had better have a plan for me because I have no plans for myself!

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

I do trust God even though I do not love God... I am sure that sounds odd to most people, but if you think about it, do we love everyone we trust? I trust my veterinarian and my mechanic but I do not love them.

What do you mean, God has a plan for us? Do you mean in conjunction with our free will? God had better have a plan for me because I have no plans for myself!

How much free will we actually have is uncertain, I think. There is so much in our lives over which we have no control, or certainly very little. We can choose how we respond to life though, I do believe that. And how we perceive it; what seems a curse often turns out to be a blessing in the end.

Sometimes you just have to hang in there. And never give up hope.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quid pro quo. Quite restrictive. God with all his might and love cannot reach people who do not love / worship / be a servant to him. What kind of God is this?

I cannot hate anything which does not exist. All humanity is not lovable. It has people like Caliph Ibrahim. If there is a God, why he had to make the world in this way? Love me or otherwise I send you to eternal hell or you will suffer in this life and next (slthough there is no proof of this next. There are Abrahamic religions which do not believe in hell but even then they warn you of bad consequences). I just do not need any privilege or reward from an imaginary God.

Firstly it is a God that knows the ability to choose, also gives us the ability to find an unrestricted Love. God could make all a believer, but be fair, would that be your choice?

Look at Liberty, all mankind strive for this goal, but Liberty requires us to consider that some foundation in law is needed to control actions that do not help the whole.

So love encompasses justice. That is why God also gives us laws and penalties for breaches of the Law. Justice served in Love has a powerful and lasting influence, justice served in hate or revenge compounds the problem, because the server's of justice become part of the problem.

We can set the boundaries of Love, or we can Love as God has given the potential for, a Love that is all encompassing, not limited by our finite mind.

I wish for you all the best and all that Love is.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Indeed, this was my experience from an early age.

And you shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul.....

This is clip from the Shema prayer that Jews recite regularly.
When I was taught this at an early age, I asked my teacher if I could see God. He said that no one can see God and when I was a little older I was told that "God is beyond all understanding".

I could never understand how a person could be commanded to love something.

To Love with all your heart and soul seems to be the key.

God is the apex of all that we can know, at the same time we know all that we can conceive of God, is not God in Essence, but the attributes that eminate from God, via the Holy Spirit through God's chosen Messengers.

So when it is written that we "....shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul...." what that passage is telling me is that we Love all creation, but most importantly it tells us we need to embrace the Messengers that are the foundation of that Love.

That is why Jesus said if we really want to Love, then we can pick up the cross and follow him.

It is a big topic though, after all, with Love we are discussing creation.

Regards Tony

Jedster

God is the apex of all that we can know, at the same time we know all that we can conceive of God, is not God in Essence, but the attributes that eminate from God, via the Holy Spirit through God's chosen Messengers.

So when it is written that we "....shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul...." what that passage is telling me is that we Love all creation, but most importantly it tells us we need to embrace the Messengers that are the foundation of that Love.

That is why Jesus said if we really want to Love, then we can pick up the cross and follow him.

It is a big topic though, after all, with Love we are discussing creation.

Regards Tony

I really don't see how your post relates to what I wrote as a comment to @CG Didymus

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed, God can exist and not necessarily be Loving..... that is just what most people want to believe about God.
I want to believe whatever is true, although I don't think we can ever know the nature of God.

Thats a pretty classic agnostic position. I would suggest there are a lot of people practising religion who subscribe to that in their heart of hearts.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Thats a pretty classic agnostic position. I would suggest there are a lot of people practising religion who subscribe to that in their heart of hearts.
My position is not agnostic because I believe for certain that God exists. I just do not pretend to know the nature of God such as God is Loving. Although my religion teaches that God is Loving I have issues with that for the reasons I stated in my OP. My religion tells me one thing, my logical mind tells me something else, so there is an inner conflict.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Indeed, this was my experience from an early age.

And you shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul.....

This is clip from the Shema prayer that Jews recite regularly.
When I was taught this at an early age, I asked my teacher if I could see God. He said that no one can see God and when I was a little older I was told that "God is beyond all understanding".

I could never understand how a person could be commanded to love something.
I have a brother and sister that are Christians, and whatever happens, good or bad, they say, "Praise God". But sometimes in a prayer they'll say, "Lord, we know we deserve death, because we've sinned against you..." So, it kind of justifies why God causes, or "allows" bad things to happen. Since we've all fallen short in some ways. Then they continue their prayer and say, "But you loved us so much that you gave your Son as a sacrifice to save us." So, I think they really believe they don't deserve it. And, their love for God, is because God first loved us.

To me things, good and bad, seem to be way to random. Like in the U.S. those states that got hit by a bunch of tornadoes. No one knows where exactly it's going to go. And who's going to die and who's going to live. And I'm sure some of them that died were Christians. And their friends and family will probably say "Praise God, the Lord took them home to be with him."

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Simple, I think they delude themselves, at least the vast majority of them, for the simple reason that there is no rational reason to embrace creed X vs. creed Y.
For the Baha'is at least, God is invisible and unknowable except for what his manifestations tell us about him. So, deluded? Sure, but I don't think they know they are deluded. I think they truly believe in one religion or another as if it is really true.

So, I think people are very spiritually gullible. Can't see God, but somebody says that this is what God is like and this is what God wants people to do. So, the person says, "Yep, sounds about right. I believe!" And every religion has a different take on what this invisible God is like. And then people argue, or kill each other, about which one of them is right.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
My position is not agnostic because I believe for certain that God exists. I just do not pretend to know the nature of God such as God is Loving. Although my religion teaches that God is Loving I have issues with that for the reasons I stated in my OP. My religion tells me one thing, my logical mind tells me something else, so there is an inner conflict.
There are Christians I knew that had several different inner conflicts with the beliefs of Fundamental Christianity. But they couldn't talk about them with other Christians. I think even with the Baha'is, there are certain beliefs that every Baha'i is expected to have. And "saying" you love God might be one of them.

Then the other things that happens, at least with the Christians that always "say" they love God in Church but certainly don't act like they love God out in public. I hope Baha'is are less hypocritical than that.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
As long as the religion is promoting good behavior. But some people's idea of what God wants them to do is hurt or kill others. And they do out of "love" and devotion to their version interpretation of God. Like the guys running the Inquisition. Or killing heathen native people.

So, loving a kinder, gentler God might be a better key.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are Christians I knew that had several different inner conflicts with the beliefs of Fundamental Christianity. But they couldn't talk about them with other Christians. I think even with the Baha'is, there are certain beliefs that every Baha'i is expected to have. And "saying" you love God might be one of them.
There are probably other Baha'is besides me who have inner conflicts with Baha'i beliefs but they cannot talk about them with other Baha'is because there are certain beliefs that every Baha'i is expected to have. "Saying" you love God and "believing" that God is loving are some of those. Also, we are supposed to hold Abdu'l-Baha in as high a regard as Baha'u'llah and I cannot do that.

I can be honest with @Truthseeker9 about how I feel and he never judges me but I cannot talk to my husband about how I feel because he doesn't like to hear it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is why God also gives us laws and penalties for breaches of the Law.
First he creates a world where evil is possible. Why did he do that? If he had not done that, there would have been no need to send prophets/sons/messengers/manifestations/mahdis. If a God exists, then there is no justification whatsoever for his creating the universe or letting evil and disasters torment the world.

The new figure brings to 93 the confirmed death, dozens missing ..
Kentucky tornado death toll rises to at least 80, governor says - Times of India
Kentucky tornadoes: In one town, many survivors are left with just the clothes on their backs - CNN

muhammad_isa

..some people's idea of what God wants them to do is hurt or kill others..
G-d does not like those that start aggression.
However, G-d has ordained warfare as a defense against evil aggressors.
That is because G-d has given us sovereignty over the world in this life,
and knows that some people will choose evil.

muhammad_isa

First he creates a world where evil is possible. Why did he do that? If he had not done that, there would have been no need to send prophets/sons/messengers/manifestations/mahdis. If a God exists, then there is no justification whatsoever for his creating the universe or letting evil and disasters torment the world.
..so you know better than G-d.
Whatever you say, reality will not change.
Your alternative "theory" is that G-d doesn't exist.
To me, that is irrational. I don't believe that this world has no reason for its existence.

The so-called "problem of evil" is all about mankind's suffering, and so a Loving G-d cannot exist. This is false.

A Loving G-d allows souls to grow in righteousness that enables them to live forever in paradise. This life is of limited suffering, although very real. The suffering in the next life could be even worse, and could be for a very long time.

Male and female .. hot and cold .. yin and yang .. these are concepts that we all understand. It is part of reality.
That can't change, whatever one believes.

The only thing that changes is what is in store for us. That can be changed by pursuing righteousness. G-d wants us to learn.
Some oppose mankind in order to stunt their learning.
They cannot permanently damage believers. It is only temporary.

The love of G-d is the most important thing in a person's life.
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself".

That is the foundation of faith. It is that which brings mankind success, as those who do it will be obedient and vigilant and want to learn more. They will be motivated in a way that overrides their base desires, which rises them up to a civilisation which excels all others. Amen.

Last edited: