• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Atheists value the Bible more than Christians value science?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

outhouse

Atheistically
Well... why do they?

Opened minds to accept all new information and weigh the evidence unbiased, is my guess.

science is as positive to humanity as it gets.

the bible has more positive aspects to humanity then negative so its also a positive.

One doesnt have to believe in a mythical god or jesus to see that.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
One doesnt have to believe in a mythical god or jesus to see that.

monty_python_applause_gif.gif

outhouse

Atheistically
This is my take,

If God exists and guarantees you an eternal happy life with him when you die in his good graces or just die according to his will then if given a choice to die tomorrow in his grace or invent a drug that you could live 100 years but chance falling out of grace you should die tomorrow.

The God I understand gives you choices, its your decision to take them. If you want to live to be 100 there are certain risks associated with that. You don't have to sacrifice your life for the lord but if you do and he exist's you will be rewarded.

As to the enviroment its my understanding that it will not be the same after we die.

It really depends on your beliefs, and I will not disagree with your beliefs but you need to allow others to have their own beliefs.

I as an agnostic atheist have issued several complaints on the RF against science and believe science to be highly overrated.

I would not under estimate science, its what will save you when your sick or hurt.

Life is for the living, you get one shot. enjoy what you can while your here.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I refuse to answer this without elaboration from the OP. This seems like an attempt to exercise the human ability to make **** up to justify things. It could have said "Why do agnostics value the wallaby more than theists value the grapefruit?" and still have people debating for days over its meaning.

Kind of like scripture, actually. :p

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I come across this same problem often.

The Einstein quote goes “You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew.”

But then again.... I guess there is the adage that says "To catch a fox you have to think like a fox."

And based on the fundy/literal-to-win approach I think one definitely becomes that very same fox.
It becomes increasingly frustrating when you are wolf, not a fox, but they insist on treating you like a fox anyway. :cool:

wa:do

Erebus

My guess would be that the Bible is both pretty easy to debate and is the main religious book in the areas where most of the forum's atheists live. If you're opposed to Christianity or consider Abrahamic faiths to have done more harm than good (which seems to be a common feeling, but by no means applicable to everybody ;)), there are a lot of resources providing arguments against Abrahamic doctrine. It's not any where near as easy to do this with Buddhism, Wicca,Taoism etc.
Furthermore, I think a lot of people on the forum (atheist or not) have grown up in cultures where "religion" is more or less equated with Abrahamic faiths. A lot of people have trouble getting out of this mentality or otherwise consider the Abrahamic faiths to be the only religions really worth debating.

PennyKay

Physicist
Im an athiest, I value the bible in an historical/philisophical context. Definitely not in a religious way though.

otokage007

I think your question isn't pretty good formulated, anyway I don't think atheist value the biblie at all because they see that book with the same eyes that they see Harry Potter. In fact, what some atheist could do would be not value but undervalue the bible.

However, what I'm sure is that christians DO value science and, in some cases, even above God. A little example of this is that there is much more christians that trust medicine to solve their medical problems than those who trust in God to help them (few will remain ill in their houses expecting HIM to help them instead of going to the hospital and take some medicines).