• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did you convert to catholic, ortodox or anglican christianity?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

exchemist

Veteran Member
Recently converted fo the Orthodox faith. Why? Because that is where the Holy Spirit guided me. I flirted with Roman Catholicism, but ultimately I was not satisfied. I was raised Methodist.
My late father made the journey from Methodism to Catholicism. It was partly studying medieval history that did it, but I think he also wanted to get out of the shadow of his rather dominant father, who was a methodist minister.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I converted to Catholicism because it's the first time I felt the presence of God in a church, when I went to a Catholic Mass. As well as accepting its teachings and arguments for itself. It's pretty cool to be part of something that is so old.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I tried to convert to Catholicism; it didn't work.

My main reason was my wife (now ex-wife): she was Catholic, and I didn't like to see her sobbing at the idea of her non-believing husband being tormented in Hell.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I converted to Catholicism because it's the first time I felt the presence of God in a church, when I went to a Catholic Mass. As well as accepting its teachings and arguments for itself. It's pretty cool to be part of something that is so old.
I think it's interesting how people can have such different experiences.

I vividly remember the feeling I had during one mass in my ex-wife's church: a profound feeling that that church was a place of emptiness and death.

The closest analogy I could come up with was that it felt like watching a young child drag a dead dog around on a leash, only nobody had told the child the dog was dead.

It was pretty unsettling. I definitely had to set those feelings aside to give the Catholic Church another chance.