• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God tempt Adam and Eve?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
God placed them in the Garden of Eden with the tree, which amounts to temptation, just like leaving the cookie jar on the table and telling young children not to touch it.

I think you have that all wrong. (as you usually do IMO)...."the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" was there in the garden as proof that humans really do have free will. If that was not the case, then the tree would have been secreted away in an inaccessible place, guaranteeing that that they would never be able to exercise their free will freely.

The temptation remains as long as the tree and Adam and Eve are in the Garden. They are set up to eventually fail, simply because they are
Created by God as fallible human beings subject to temptation. Satan is just hanging around as the fall guy allowed by God.

Nonsense. There was no defect in them...they were not fallible or prone to make mistakes.....perfect beings do not make mistakes, which is why there was no excuse for what they did....nor was it forgivable. Satan was in a guardian position in Eden so his actions were calculated and evil. He told the woman that she would "be like God" if she ate of the fruit, but he was really describing his own aspirations....he was the one who wanted to be like God. He even had the audacity to ask Jesus for an act of worship, using the same appeal to selfishness. But the perfect man Jesus did not succumb to the temptation, proving that Adam and his wife could have remained faithful as well.

I believe, and the evidence supports this, Genesis, the Creation narrative is an edited compilation based on older Babylonian and Canaanite/Ugarit myths, and the 'inherited guilt' concept is an archaic way explain evil and sin in ancient cultures like the Greeks, and the cultures Judaism evolved in. The concept of the flood is also in these cultures to explain natural disasters as the wrath of a vengeful God to punish sinful and disobedient tribes and cultures.

This is also nonsense. It was apostate Israelites who joined in worshipping the Canaanite gods. They were punished for doing so. God warned them in advance not to imitate the ways of these disgusting people, but they failed to obey him. (Deuteronomy 18:9-12)

The flood legend is found in almost all cultures, so that proves that it must have been an historical event remembered by those who heard it from those who survived it. The Bible even explains how it got spread all over the world. (Genesis 11:1-9)

I do not question God, I just do not believe in archaic views plagued with mythical views of God.

If you have problems with "archaic" things, then perhaps you should remember that God has been around longer than your own myths. Your God is not the one worshiped by Christians......you are free to worship whatever god you like....but if he is the wrong one, then perhaps I have some bad news for you......:( (Exodus 20:3, 5, 6)

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

No you do not got it! You were not placed in the Garden of Eden with the tree that if you succumbed to the temptation and ate of the tree you would condemn all humanity (inherited guilt) with suffering, pain and earth. In fact all the animal kingdom turns to violence.

This has absolutely nothing to with the present potential of humans to make decisions of right and wrong or good and evil, except as claimed the 'Fall' and Original Sin' puts you in the world cursed by Adam and Eve's Fall.

That is what the evidence indicates. In fact all those begats are problematic in the light of real historical and archaelogical evidence

Neither are you, unfortunately my view is supported by historical, archaeological, and paleontology of the history of humanity.

First of all those two trees are not actual tress.

Magus

Yahweh and Elohim are Canaanite Gods, so it is rather contradictory , The Tree , it is the same as Pandora's Box, Noah's Ark, Moses Basket , Perseus' Box and the Trojan Horse and it is also the firmament that is in the midst

Gen 1:6 - Let there be a firmament in the midst

It is always in the midst.

Exodus 2:5
The Ark in the MIDST and she sent her maid to fetch it.

She opened the Box , Pandora opened it , what is it?

Well what causes the flood?

Gen 7:11
the windows of heaven were opened. (פָּתַח pathach )
Gen 7:12
And the rain was upon the earth

Aquaduct
Aqueduct (water supply) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
No you do not got it! You were not placed in the Garden of Eden with the tree that if you succumbed to the temptation and ate of the tree you would condemn all humanity (inherited guilt) with suffering, pain and earth. In fact all the animal kingdom turns to violence.

This has absolutely nothing to with the present potential of humans to make decisions of right and wrong or good and evil, except as claimed the 'Fall' and Original Sin' puts you in the world cursed by Adam and Eve's Fall.
All I did was apply your principle to my life, so if I didn't get it your premise then it is your premise that is wrong. I'm in my Garden of Eden.

When I sin (personally), I inherit guilt with suffering and pain and the results is a measure of violence.

That is what the evidence indicates. In fact all those begats are problematic in the light of real historical and archaelogical evidence
Evidence is always real, intepretation of said evidence is what has the capacity to be in error

Neither are you, unfortunately my view is supported by historical, archaeological, and paleontology of the history of humanity.
I haven't found any histroical, archaeological, and paleonotoligcal evidence of the history of humanity that violates my premise.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
All I did was apply your principle to my life, so if I didn't get it your premise then it is your premise that is wrong. I'm in my Garden of Eden.

If you are unable to comprehend the simple description in Genesis concerning the consequence of their actions, and the consequences of sin for everybody since, there is most definitely a problem of you comprehending the problem of inherited guilt, and the claim of the Fall and Original Sin, and the consequences of the claim for humanity since.

When I sin (personally), I inherit guilt with suffering and pain and the results is a measure of violence.

This is the problem of putting the responsibility of there actions as the burden of all humanity throughout history

Evidence is always real, interpretation of said evidence is what has the capacity to be in error.

There is no evidence to support your argument beyond your interpretation of ancient mythology.

I haven't found any histroical, archaeological, and paleonotoligcal evidence of the history of humanity that violates my premise.

The facts of the history of humanity, archaeology and other paleontological evidence is that there was never an ideal time that humans and the animal world were not as they are today. Death, war, violence, and suffering have always been a part of the natural world.

Kenny

Premium Member
If you are unable to comprehend the simple description in Genesis concerning the consequence of their actions, and the consequences of sin for everybody since, there is most definitely a problem of you comprehending the problem of inherited guilt, and the claim of the Fall and Original Sin, and the consequences of the claim for humanity since.
ROFL - God uses the foolish things to confound the wise.

This is the problem of putting the responsibility of there actions as the burden of all humanity throughout history
No... it is not having a victim mentality

There is no evidence to support your argument beyond your interpretation of ancient mythology.
Even as they, again and again, find archaeological evidence that the Bible is true.

The facts of the history of humanity, archaeology and other paleontological evidence is that there was never an ideal time that humans and the animal world were not as they are today. Death, war, violence, and suffering have always been a part of the natural world.
Naturally... until Jesus comes back again and the lamb lays down with the lion.

Faithofchristian

The claim of 'inherited guilt,' 'Original Sin' and the 'Fall' fo all of humanity since remains problematic regardless of whether they were real actual trees or not.

Since you brought up about ( Original Sin )
Who was the first to commit sin. Find this out then you will know who exactly committed the ( Original Sin )

How did you come by, that God knew before hand that Adam and Eve would fail.

There were two trees in the garden of Eden.
What or who do you suppose those two trees are to represent ?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
ROFL - God uses the foolish things to confound the wise.

Blue smoke and mirrors arguent

No... it is not having a victim mentality.

Not the argument at hand

Even as they, again and again, find archaeological evidence that the Bible is true.

Actually only minimally true of the confirmation of the existence individuals and events. The evidence is overwhelming that humans and nature of the animal kingdom has not changed for at minimum hundreds of thousands of years.

Naturally... until Jesus comes back again and the lamb lays down with the lion.

In reality the lamb has never lain down with the lion.

DavidFirth

Yahweh and Elohim are Canaanite Gods, so it is rather contradictory , The Tree , it is the same as Pandora's Box, Noah's Ark, Moses Basket , Perseus' Box and the Trojan Horse and it is also the firmament that is in the midst

Gen 1:6 - Let there be a firmament in the midst

It is always in the midst.

Exodus 2:5
The Ark in the MIDST and she sent her maid to fetch it.

She opened the Box , Pandora opened it , what is it?

Well what causes the flood?

Gen 7:11
the windows of heaven were opened. (פָּתַח pathach )
Gen 7:12
And the rain was upon the earth

Aquaduct
Aqueduct (water supply) - Wikipedia

You depict yourself to be one of these so how can anyone take you seriously?

In Greek mythology Medusa (/məˈdjuːzə, məˈdʒuː-, -sə/, US: /məˈduː-/; Μέδουσα "guardian, protectress")[1] was a monster, a Gorgon, generally described as a winged human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair.

Medusa - Wikipedia

Kenny

Premium Member
Blue smoke and mirrors arguent
Much better than your condesending statement.

Not the argument at hand
Applicable none-the-less

Actually only minimally true of the confirmation of the existence individuals and events. The evidence is overwhelming that humans and nature of the animal kingdom has not changed for at minimum hundreds of thousands of years.
Only within the context of your Biblical understanding. There is a Biblical possibility of the "gap" between Gen 1:1 and 1:2 that can account for hundreds of thousands of years not to mention the application of light vs. time

In reality the lamb has never lain down with the lion.
Actually, I would disagree.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I'm actually not preaching against Bible Doctrine in the op. From what I've studied in Scripture it seems clear to me that God wanted them to fall. I'm simply asking the question why.

Why ask why? Christ was foreordained to die for Adam and Eve prior to the Garden's creation, says the scriptures.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Since you brought up about ( Original Sin )
Who was the first to commit sin. Find this out then you will know who exactly committed the ( Original Sin )

In Christianity Adam and Eve were the first co commit sin and curse all humanity with suffering, pain, war, death, and the inherited guilt of 'Original Sin,' and the violence in the animal kingdom.

How did you come by, that God knew before hand that Adam and Eve would fail.

Actually, this not the issue at hand. The issue is God blamed fallible humans Adam and Eve with 'inherited guilt' cursing all humanity with sin, suffering, wars and death throughout history.

Nonetheless God Created humanity as fallible humans subject to temptation knowing the nature of his Creation, and ALL possible consequences. God is ultimately responsible for the nature of his Creation.

There were two trees in the garden of Eden.
What or who do you suppose those two trees are to represent?

I am not concerned with an interpretation of the underlying nature of the two trees whether they represent or symbolize two people(?).

I do not consider this an issue concerning the 'inherited guilt,' Original Sin,' and the 'Fall' blamed on two fallible human people for all the future of humanity.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Much better than your condesending statement.

It was in response to your vague condescending statement avoiding responding to the substance of the argument.

Applicable none-the-less.

Does not resolve the problem of the 'Fall' and 'Original Sin.'

Only within the context of your Biblical understanding. There is a Biblical possibility of the "gap" between Gen 1:1 and 1:2 that can account for hundreds of thousands of years not to mention the application of light vs. time.

Accounting for time is not an issue here, in could be several thousand to a million years, this does not change the issue of blaming the succumb to temptation of two fallible human beings with the 'inherited guilt' of the suffering, sin, war and death for all human history.

Actually, I would disagree.

Disagree as you wish, there is no evidence of this,

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Why ask why? Christ was foreordained to die for Adam and Eve prior to the Garden's creation, says the scriptures.

Why??!?, because of the problem of blaming the fault of two fallible human beings (inherited guilt) with suffering, wars, sin, violence and death for all humanity in all of history,

pearl

Depends on which creation 'model' you choose, that God demanded vindication, with Jesus, an after thought created to be the scapegoat to pay the ransom to buy back our salvation or that God desired solidarity with man and 'pitched his tent'. I think we need to keep the creation stories within the context of time, place and purpose.

Faithofchristian

In Christianity Adam and Eve were the first co commit sin and curse all humanity with suffering, pain, war, death, and the inherited guilt of 'Original Sin,' and the violence in the animal kingdom.

Actually, this not the issue at hand. The issue is God blamed fallible humans Adam and Eve with 'inherited guilt' cursing all humanity with sin, suffering, wars and death throughout history.

Nonetheless God Created humanity as fallible humans subject to temptation knowing the nature of his Creation, and ALL possible consequences. God is ultimately responsible for the nature of his Creation.

I am not concerned with an interpretation of the underlying nature of the two trees whether they represent or symbolize two people(?).

I do not consider this an issue concerning the 'inherited guilt,' Original Sin,' and the 'Fall' blamed on two fallible human people for all the future of humanity.

Original Sin was not committed by Adam and Eve.
God did force Adam and Eve to take of any of the tree's.
Adam and Eve took of the tree's willfully.

Just like you wearing a hat, you wear it by choice, no one is forcing you to wear the hat.
Therefore no one force Adam or Eve to take of the tree, what Adam and Eve did was by their choice.

Look how many times do you suppose Adam pass by the tree before Eve came, So Adam never took of the tree, until Eve came and was deceived in taking of the tree.