• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did god create humans?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Nonetheless, the Jewish tradition holds that this is not, in fact, the primary purpose of human beings. We are created to be God's children, to learn from His wisdom, to love and appreciate Him and be loved and appreciated by Him in return, and to use the gifts He gave us to improve ourselves and the world around us.

can you provide a passage that would support this notion of why we were created?

Levite

Higher and Higher
can you provide a passage that would support this notion of why we were created?

I don't know that I can come up with a single verse off the top of my head that encapsulates all of that at the level of plain, literal meaning. Generally speaking, what I said is a synthesis of a considerable amount of exegetical work, Rabbinic philosophy, and midrash. There are a lot of verses that might be used for Rabbinic exegesis as supports for elements of what I said. But it would take me a while to go through it all, and to be honest, I'm not sure I have the time to write it out, along with the necessary explanations of how Rabbinic exegesis works.

I can tell you if you want to read someone who will give you a Jewish theology of meaning relatively similar to what I put forth, try the writings of Rabbi Elliot N. Dorff.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The main purpose was so that humans could become like Him.

Matthew 5-48
If this is the case, why would Lucifer fall for trying to be God? If God's ultimate goal is for us to be become like him, why would Lucifer fall for attempting to finalize this goal?

(Disclaimer: Lucifer is a mistranslation and misinterpretation of the Vulgate Bible, but people seem to perpetuate it, so for now it is just for the sake of debate)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Another breath of stale air from the forum's self abusement director. :facepalm:

it's interesting how you tend to change the subject by interjecting an insult of some kind...
i fail to see what this post has added to the conversation...

care to explain what #26 means?

james2ko

]If this is the case, why would Lucifer fall for trying to be God? If God's ultimate goal is for us to be become like him, why would Lucifer fall for attempting to finalize this goal?[/B](Disclaimer: Lucifer is a mistranslation and misinterpretation of the Vulgate Bible, but people seem to perpetuate it, so for now it is just for the sake of debate)

Scripture indicates God's plan is for mankind to become like Him--not the angels. Which leads some to speculate this may have been one of satan's motives for his attempted coup.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What is the real purpose for God creating humans?

According to Genesis 1:26 and 1:28, God created humans to "RULE" the animals.
The second passage (Genesis 1:28) include a second purpose to fulfill the 1st decree, which was to populate the Earth to rule the animals.
Is this truly the purpose of mankind?

God is a spirit and in the spirit world, he created spiritual beings. The bible says that they all have a purpose and a set place within that spirit realm.

When God created the physical universe, and specifically the earth, he saw fit to create 'physical' beings, in the image of himself and his spirit sons, in order to oversee and govern the physical world. On the earth, he planted a 'garden' as the blueprint for what he wanted the earth to look like...then he created the man and woman and placed them in that garden.

We were created specifically for the purpose of extending the boarders of Eden around the entire globe. That is Gods will...that is our purpose.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Scripture indicates God's plan is for mankind to become like Him--not the angels. Which leads some to speculate this may have been one of satan's motives for his attempted coup.
So, you're saying if a human tried the same thing Lucifer did, God would have no problem letting humans run reality?

Skwim

Veteran Member
On the earth, he planted a 'garden' as the blueprint for what he wanted the earth to look like...then he created the man and woman and placed them in that garden.

We were created specifically for the purpose of extending the boarders of Eden around the entire globe. That is Gods will...that is our purpose.
Considering that we've done nothing of the sort, and it doesn't look as if we ever will, was god simply shortsighted in creating his tools (us) or were his expectations simply to high? Then there's the question of why bother using humans in the first place. Wouldn't it have been far more expedient and reliable to just create Eden all over the globe? To leave it to fallible, imperfect, and untrustworthy operants such as ourselves seems kind of foolish. Of course if we were created for his entertainment, like a kid toying with a colony of ants, then maybe we are fulfilling his needs, but it wouldn't be with any sincere expectation that we would succeed in the goal he set for us---the whole global Eden thing.

Last edited:

james2ko

So, you're saying if a human tried the same thing Lucifer did, God would have no problem letting humans run reality?

A physical human being cannot possibly mimic the actions of an angelic being. This fact alone breaks down your argument.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Considering that we've done nothing of the sort, and it doesn't look as if we ever will, was god simply shortsighted in creating his tools (us) or were his expectations simply to high?
the earth has the potential, the problem is that we became alientated from God when Adam sinned, so since the beginning, people have served their own ends.

Then there's the question of why bother using humans in the first place. Wouldn't it have been far more expedient and reliable to just create Eden all over the globe? To leave it to fallible, imperfect, and untrustworthy operants such as ourselves seems kind of foolish.

I guess he thought the physical earth deserved a physical caretaker. He could have used angels to look after the earth. However he chose to create physical beings who are 'a little less then angels' the bible says. So we are a part of Gods spiritual family, we just live in physical bodies.

And mankind were not created imperfect...Adam was perfect. To be perfect means to live exactly according to Gods will and standards. Adam did so for a length of time, so it is possible for us too.

Anyway, there is definitely something therapeutic about gardening :)

Acim

Revelation all the time
What is the real purpose for God creating humans?

I lean toward Gnostic interpretations for 'creation' of the physical world (where the concept of human makes sense). That it is a manifestation, by a demiurge, to establish the illusion of a particular reality. That reality being a world in which God's creation is separate from a) God and b) from rest of creation (separation from brothers and sisters).