• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why did god create humans?

gnostic

The Lost One
What is the real purpose for God creating humans?

According to Genesis 1:26 and 1:28, God created humans to "RULE" the animals.

Genesis 1:26 said:
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

The second passage (Genesis 1:28) include a second purpose to fulfill the 1st decree, which was to populate the Earth to rule the animals.

Genesis 1:28 said:
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Is this truly the purpose of mankind?

Because it seem pointless reason for creating humans. If this is not the reasons, then what are the real purposes?

lunakilo

Since I am not a religious person I simply read these passages as written by humans trying to convience themselves that they can do as they please with animals and shouldn't feel bad about it. The excuse: God himself gave humans a license to rule over the animals.

But assuming that God DID create man and gave the above reason...

Maybe he just liked watching his little creations run about and do as he told them to. I play a lot of Dwarf Fortress , it's a computergame where you rule over a bunch of little dwarfs that you can give orders to do stuff. It is a lot of fun to see the little guys running around trying to carry out their orders, so maybe God feels the same (I am created in his image after all :) )

The passages don't say that the ONLY reason to create humans was to populate the Earth to rule the animals, just that it was ONE reason.

If I were God, I think I would like to use my abilities to create something good. I think I would like to make creatures that I could communicate with because it would be fun and because I could talk to someone other than myself. It would probably also be fun to try and teach stuff to these little creatures.

But who knows, the Lord apparently works in mysterious ways :)

gnostic

The Lost One
In Sumerian and Babylonian religions, humans were created to do works of the minor gods (the Iggigi), which was to build cities and temples for the deities, farm the land, dig irrigation and canal. Apparently the lesser deities found the labour too hard, so they started a mutiny. This make more sense than the Genesis - to rule the animals.

In the Egyptian religion, particularly of the Heliopolitan myth, the god Re created humans from tears, for no apparent reason, except the possibility of being reunited with his lost daughter Tefnut. The purpose of human creation is not given.

Levite

Higher and Higher

The second passage (Genesis 1:28) include a second purpose to fulfill the 1st decree, which was to populate the Earth to rule the animals.

Because it seem pointless reason for creating humans. If this is not the reasons, then what are the real purposes?

The language used in the original Hebrew has a nuance that translates better to "they shall have lordship over it [the earth and all things in it];" but "lordship" in the sense of viceregency or suzereinty: that is, human beings are essentially God's authorized governors of this planet. But we understand this not as meaning that we have free rein to do with the earth as we like, but rather that we are expected to be responsible stewards of God's property.

Nonetheless, the Jewish tradition holds that this is not, in fact, the primary purpose of human beings. We are created to be God's children, to learn from His wisdom, to love and appreciate Him and be loved and appreciated by Him in return, and to use the gifts He gave us to improve ourselves and the world around us.

Maybeboo

Even if it says 'rule', this does not translate to 'exploit'.
A good ruler does not eat or imprison its subjects.
A bad ruler may do so in order to keep power, but even they do it on the basis of perceived threat or a cruel streak, not just because they are your 'subjects'.

God's alleged first commandment was ' Thou shalt have no other gods before me '
Is that an acknowledgement that there are other gods. That he is superior to them?

Boy oh boy - every one knows the difference between right and wrong, even if it is only to their understanding - remember, we ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil - are we also now partaking in the tree of life, as he was worried we would - thus leading to our immortality?
22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

chinu

chinu
why did god create humans?
To compleate the circle of life, which starts from "Himself" and ends in "Himself".
Man is the Second-last stage.
Super-Man is the last stage.

_/\_
Chinu

james2ko

Is this truly the purpose of mankind? Because it seem pointless reason for creating humans. If this is not the reasons, then what are the real purposes?

Scripture reveals a very real an awesome purpose. God created mankind to eventually have an opportunity to become a part of His family-- god-like spirit beings with supernatural powers and abilities that will allow them to assist Him with various undisclosed projects around the limitless universe for all eternity!

gnostic

The Lost One
maybeboo said:
A bad ruler may do so in order to keep power, but even they do it on the basis of perceived threat or a cruel streak, not just because they are your 'subjects'.

Well, the thread is not really about exploit of animals, but the purpose of why humans were created in the 1st place.

If anything, animals don't really need caretakers, except when it come to animal husbandry (farming) because of the animals are viewed as food sources.

But whether humans rule animals or not, is really not the point of the thread.

To me, the purpose given to in verses - Genesis 1:26 & 1:28 - seemed utterly meaningless, unless you referring to us as the top of food chain.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Levite said:
The language used in the original Hebrew has a nuance that translates better to "they shall have lordship over it [the earth and all things in it];" but "lordship" in the sense of viceregency or suzereinty: that is, human beings are essentially God's authorized governors of this planet. But we understand this not as meaning that we have free rein to do with the earth as we like, but rather that we are expected to be responsible stewards of God's property.

"Rule" as it appears in Genesis 1:26 and 1:28 is, according to Strong's, transliterated as "radah, and means"

1) to rule, have dominion, dominate, tread down

a) (Qal) to have dominion, rule, subjugate

b) (Hiphil) to cause to dominate
Maybeboo said:

God's alleged first commandment was ' Thou shalt have no other gods before me '
Is that an acknowledgement that there are other gods. That he is superior to them?
I don't believe the issue is how man is supposed to rule, but that ruling over the other creatures, whatever form it's meant to take, is the purpose for which god put man on Earth.

lunakilo said:
The passages don't say that the ONLY reason to create humans was to populate the Earth to rule the animals, just that it was ONE reason.
Then one could second guess everything that's said in the Bible as not being the only one of its type or kind, but only one example. Of course without solid scriptural evidence that's stated just as succinctly and unmistakably as the original, all such evidence would pale in comparison. So I ask you: if this isn't the only reason god created humans, what other reason(s) are there? Reasons stated just as unequivocally as the one here is?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

One should not take these passages literally let alone belive them at all.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The last lines from the first chpt of Genesis in the NIV (New Interactive Version)

And there it was everywhere; Life on the ground,
In the air and the oceans and there all around
And it moved and it felt and grew and it bloomed
And it saw and it smelt, and it knew (or presumed)

And it all came together in one sacred dance
To the tune of a muse that left nothing to chance.

And the Voice looked it over, but soon became bored
For IT said to ITself, "It could use something more...

"For it's all very nice, yes it's all very fine
But it's all so....predictable, time after time,
So what could I make, ah yes, let me see....
What would it take to surprise even Me?"

So the voice took a handful of dust from the ground
And a few odds and ends IT had lying around
And in one mighty breath of divine inspiration
IT created man in IT's imagination.
(although it says "image" in poorer translations)

Levite

Higher and Higher
"Rule" as it appears in Genesis 1:26 and 1:28 is, according to Strong's, transliterated as "radah, and means"
1) to rule, have dominion, dominate, tread down

a) (Qal) to have dominion, rule, subjugate

b) (Hiphil) to cause to dominate
I don't believe the issue is how man is supposed to rule, but that ruling over the other creatures, whatever form it's meant to take, is the purpose for which god put man on Earth.

Gesenius, Brown, Driver, and Briggs, and Even-Shoshan all provide potential alternate renderings for "radah."

But in any case, regardless of nuance, I don't think it's supposed to be a statement of purpose, merely an acknowledgement of authority conferred. As a matter of fact, some of the classical commentators indicate that it was only authority over the Garden, and once humanity was removed from the Garden, they had no further authority, hence having to work the earth for crops, as God instructs Adam.

The various compendia of Midrash insert many midrashim wherein God offers raisons d'etre to Adam, which suggests to me that the Rabbis also frequently read Genesis as not having a definitively stated purpose for human existence.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Gesenius, Brown, Driver, and Briggs, and Even-Shoshan all provide potential alternate renderings for "radah."
Not having access to these sources, or an inclination to see if they're on line, and because you haven't posted their potential alternate renderings, I'm going to assume they pretty much fall in line with what Strong says.

But in any case, regardless of nuance, I don't think it's supposed to be a statement of purpose, merely an acknowledgement of authority conferred. As a matter of fact, some of the classical commentators indicate that it was only authority over the Garden, and once humanity was removed from the Garden, they had no further authority, hence having to work the earth for crops, as God instructs Adam.
What happened subsequent to placing man on Earth is immaterial to the reason for doing so.

The various compendia of Midrash insert many midrashim wherein God offers raisons d'etre to Adam, which suggests to me that the Rabbis also frequently read Genesis as not having a definitively stated purpose for human existence.
Sorry, but I'm not conversant with Jewish theology, so I'm unable to judge the relevance here.

Kate Stello

christian
i think that we were made to glorify God by becoming all He made us to be and for Him to enjoy us and we Him in a real relationship, because He loves us.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend gnostic,

why did god create humans? What is the real purpose for God creating humans?

Since you have the Thread in a DIR section can't respond; however if you get staff to shift it the Religious debates, could also respond/participate.

Love & rgds

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Did I win the $64,000 question? Did I win? Did I? Did I? :bounce

Sojourner: :no: :sorry1:

Gnostic: :(

:sad4:
Yes, Gnostic. You won. However, in the economy left to us in the wake of W's "administration," $64,000 has been devalued to a nickel. You can buy some gum. Maybe. And the orchestra we usually use for the fanfare has been laid off. All we got is a guy with a pocket comb and a piece of toilet paper.

Sorry.