• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Christians are not Jewish?

Segev Moran

I ask it out of ignorance as I lack the information regarding this question...
If Jesus was Jewish, and Jesus kept saying that he never came to change the words of the Hebrew bible rather "explain" them, where did he say one shouldn't follow God's ways as given to the Jewish people?

Wouldn't that contradict his own saying that the Hebrew bible is the word of god?
Also, assuming Jesus was indeed Jewish, when did he decide not to be one?

Thanks.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
If Jesus was Jewish, and Jesus kept saying that he never came to change the words of the Hebrew bible rather "explain" them, where did he say one shouldn't follow God's ways as given to the Jewish people?

Wouldn't that contradict his own saying that the Hebrew bible is the word of god?

Thanks.

Hello. Jesus was born, lived, and died a Jew. He never intended to start a new religion, from the way I see it. So in that way I think all Christians are also Jewish.

See also this interesting movement:

Messianic Judaism - Wikipedia

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Thanks.

Because there was no "Jewish" religion at the time. Certainly nothing like Judaism we have today.

Today's Judaism and Christianity and offshoots of the Hebrew religion. They may both have their basis in the Hebrew religion but there were many different religious groups at the time based on the Hebrew religion. Christianity and Rabbinical Judaism being the two groups who survived to today.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus lived and died as a Jew, but one should remember that "Jew" is a nationality, nor a religion (Judaism).

What happened was the gentiles eventually began to outnumber Jews, especially by the end of the 1st century c.e., plus there was a gradual abandonment of Jewish Law, and it is the Abrahamic Covenant and the Mosaic Law (all 613 Commandments as found in Torah) that form the base of Judaism.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Many of these answers are in The Book of Galatians. [in the New Testament
The way that standard Christianity interprets, the law, the Jewish law, and the Covenant of Faith, to the 'Gentiles', [gentiles simply means not under the law. Araham is called a Gentile, in other words,
The way that standard Christianity interprets the Covenants, it condemns Jews, and probably Israelites, to Hell.
This might seem bizarre,

Since we worship the same God.
YeHoWaH.

That's because it is bizarre, since the Apostle Paul, was Jewish. Therefore, not only Jewish, he was a Pharisee named Saul, before becoming Paul, he was obviously an Israelite.
Now, since Abraham presumably worshipped the same God, then, how could Abraham, go to Hell? He couldn't, and the New Testament, says thst he is saved by faith, same Covenant, to the Christians.
Hence, the real issue is, here, the added laws.

The wording is tricky in Galatians, Gentiles also means Israelites, and, Jews simply means under the law.
So,
it is a matter of the added law, according to Galatians, as I interpret it.

Trippy font coloration :)

Earthling

David Henson

Thanks.

Many Christians are Jewish. Jesus of course, being the first. His disciples and many follower were.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The way that standard Christianity interprets the Covenants, it condemns Jews, and probably Israelites, to Hell.
Not so with Catholicism and most liberal Protestant denominations but is more so with Protestant fundamentalists. I grew up in the latter, and we were constantly told how non-Christians were going to hell, which is why we had to convert them. Needless to say, I never bought into that story.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not so with Catholicism and most liberal Protestant denominations but is more so with Protestant fundamentalists. I grew up in the latter, and we were constantly told how non-Christians were going to hell, which is why we had to convert them. Needless to say, I never bought into that story.

I know it's off for me to say but I must be blessed. The only negative thing I got from people at the church is when a priest yelled at me when I asked if he was alright since he was sleep and snoring throughout my confession. The other was out of state in a more strict parish and the priest fussed and said, "the devil made me do it."

I had beautiful confessions my first lasted about two hour appointment, a hug and a (well, probably not appropriate) but a genuine ride home from the same priest.

:(

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I mean I went to a fundamental Baptist Church that told us Catholism is of the devil and Catholics aren't saved and will go to hell. I never joined the church. Too catholic for that mess.

Earthling

David Henson
The way that standard Christianity interprets, the law, the Jewish law, and the Covenant of Faith, to the 'Gentiles', [gentiles simply means not under the law. Araham is called a Gentile, in other words,
This might seem bizarre,

YeHoWaH.

That's because it is bizarre, since the Apostle Paul, was Jewish. Therefore, not only Jewish, he was a Pharisee named Saul, before becoming Paul, he was obviously an Israelite.
Now, since Abraham presumably worshipped the same God, then, how could Abraham, go to Hell? He couldn't, and the New Testament, says that he is saved by faith, same Covenant, to the Christians.

The wording is tricky in Galatians, Gentiles also means Israelites, and, Jews simply means under the law.
So,

The kingdom of the heavens has become like a man, a king, that made a marriage feast for his son. And he sent forth his slaves to call those invited to the marriage feast, but they were unwilling to come. Again he sent forth other slaves, saying, ‘Tell those invited: “Look! I have prepared my dinner, my bulls and fattened animals are slaughtered, and all things are ready. Come to the marriage feast.”’

But unconcerned they went off, one to his own field, another to his commercial business; but the rest, laying hold of his slaves, treated them insolently and killed them.

“But the king grew wrathful, and sent his armies and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. Then he said to his slaves, ‘The marriage feast indeed is ready, but those invited were not worthy. Therefore go to the roads leading out of the city, and anyone you find invite to the marriage feast.’ Accordingly those slaves went out to the roads and gathered together all they found, both wicked and good; and the room for the wedding ceremonies was filled with those reclining at the table.

“When the king came in to inspect the guests he caught sight there of a man not clothed with a marriage garment. So he said to him, ‘Fellow, how did you get in here not having on a marriage garment?’ He was rendered speechless. Then the king said to his servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and throw him out into the darkness outside. There is where [his] weeping and the gnashing of [his] teeth will be.’

Christians should be Jews, because:

For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God.
Romans 2:28-29

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

Also, assuming Jesus was indeed Jewish, when did he decide not to be one?.
There are far too many uncertain factors to be able to answer those questions.

All the New Testament gospels and other writings there are written only for reasons of inspiring faith in the minds of Christians, so you cannot acquire any certainty about whether you are reading anything which the historical Jesus said.
In fact you cannot even be sure whether Jesus or the apostle Paul were real people or if anything they may have said ended up in the New Testament.

So the question should rather be 'why the New Testament is not more Jewish (as you see Jewishness)?'.
Christianity is a syncretic faith that mixes the teachings of a man called Jesus with the teachings of people from the more Hellenistic world and teachings from people from the more Jewish-Christian world.

Many people wrote in the New Testament and they all had different ideas about who Jesus was and what they thought he taught. The Church of Rome collected it all and also edited this collection of writings somewhat.

So if you want to know where exactly the historical Jesus stood in all this, you are in a maze that leads you nowhere because there is no clear answer. Perhaps the sayings of Q-lite come close to the ideology that a historical Yeshua may have taught to his disciples but even that cannot be proven. We have no other information on Jesus.

I personally think that the Jewishness of Jesus in New Testament writings was made up by Jewish-Christian authors. So it did not come from the historical Jesus because it contradicts the ideology and style of speech in the sayings of Q-lite which stands out as a very special a-typical text in the New Testament. So the connections made to the teachings in the Old Testament are in my eyes all fake/made up and have nothing to do with the "real Jesus".

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes, Jesus was Jewish and never stopped being a Jew, but He was also the prophesied Savior of the world. The religious leaders of Israel at the time rejected Jesus. The first (Christians) Jewish disciples and followers who accepted Jesus understood that He was the promised Messiah and that salvation was through Him and not the law, which no one could live up to.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Thanks.
Jesus did say he came “to fulfill the Law”.... I don’t know about “explain”.

Segev Moran

Because there was no "Jewish" religion at the time. Certainly nothing like Judaism we have today.
What do you mean???
The Hebrew bible was far before the NT. when i say Jewish, i mean the Hebrew way of living as depicted in the Hebrew bible.
Today's Judaism and Christianity and offshoots of the Hebrew religion. They may both have their basis in the Hebrew religion but there were many different religious groups at the time based on the Hebrew religion.
You are wrong.
The basis of ALL Jewsih religion is the same. the different communities are regarding the "Halachot" that were added later on by the rabbis.
The Jewish core is the same and unchanged for thousands of years.
Christianity on the other hand is completely different than the Hebrew religion, there is nothing similar in it apart from the acknowledgement of God and the that the Hebrew bible is true.
Christianity and Rabbinical Judaism being the two groups who survived to today.
And the differences between them is huge. I was inquiring regarding this difference.

Segev Moran

The way that standard Christianity interprets, the law, the Jewish law, and the Covenant of Faith, to the 'Gentiles', [gentiles simply means not under the law. Abraham is called a Gentile, in other words,
This might seem bizarre,

YeHoWaH.

Now, since Abraham presumably worshipped the same God, then, how could Abraham, go to Hell? He couldn't, and the New Testament, says that he is saved by faith, same Covenant, to the Christians.

So,
You keep saying Added, what about Sabbath?... it is not added, rather removed, no? Same goes for all Jewish "laws" (the term "law" is very wrong to use, but i use it for simplicity sake.

Segev Moran

Christians should be Jews, because:

For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God.
Romans 2:28-29
So why God asked for circumcision?

Earthling

David Henson
So why Christians don't follow the Jewish beliefs?

Because they were no longer needed. The nation if Israel was created for a reason, the Law of Moses was created for a reason. The coming of the Messiah was the culmination of that. So the sacrifices of Moses' day were no longer in effect, they were a temporary foreshadow of a more perfect sacrifice. The nation of laws that was Israel tutored the Jews for their inability to keep that law, their sin. Their need for a Messiah. After sacrifice of that Messiah those laws and sacrifices were no longer in effect or necessary.

Paul explains that all pretty well in his writings.