• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Christianity's Infatuation With Sex?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I always wondered why a supposed "god" that made a universe that seems to have almost no limits filled with billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, many of which have numerous planets (so billions of potential planets) decides that one mammal out of tens of thousands on one incredibly insignificant planet needs to have it's sex life looked into.

The answer is easily seen by answering this question: what is more likely:

1) That such a magnificent creator is worried by whom we go in bed with and when, or
2) That the ones who made him up wanted to make sure to be the fathers of their kids?

To make an example. i am pretty much convinced that religion's obsession with female purity is the natural result of us being the only kind of primate whose females do not show any visible signs during their fertility days. So, the only guarantee to be the father is certified purity and constant supervision. If we all got red during those few days, religion would probably be completely different in matters of sex and control. Something like "thou shall not mess around town when you are red in the face, otherwise NP".

In other words: religion attitude towards sex is a naturally evolved trait in the arm race and conflict of biological interests between females and males belonging to a certain kind of apes.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
It seems to me the 'messages' claimed to be from Christianity are not based on what the Bible actually says.
But isn't this pretty much what separates all the Christian denominations? One denomination will say "This is what the Bible says," while another will say "Nah ah. This is what the Bible actually says." And a third will contend, "No. You're both wrong. This . . . ." It all depends on which "Christianity" one favors. Most saying, "Your Christianity is not based on what the Bible actually says."

Skwim

Veteran Member
The answer is easily seen by answering this question: what is more likely:

1) That such a magnificent creator is worried by whom we go in bed with and when, or
2) That the ones who made him up wanted to make sure to be the fathers of their kids?

To make an example. i am pretty much convinced that religion's obsession with female purity is the natural result of us being the only kind of primate whose females do not show any visible signs during their fertility days. So, the only guarantee to be the father is certified purity and constant supervision. If we all got red during those few days, religion would probably be completely different in matters of sex and control. Something like "thou shall not mess around town when you are red in the face, otherwise NP".

In other words: religion attitude towards sex is a naturally evolved trait in the arm race and conflict of biological interests between females and males belonging to a certain kind of apes.

Ciao

- viole
Thing is. Many of the issues the Bible has about sex have nothing to do with "the ones who made him up wanted to make sure to be the fathers of their kids."

Matthew 5:28
28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jeremiah 13:27
your adulteries and lustful neighings, your shameless prostitution! I have seen your detestable acts on the hills and in the fields. Woe to you, O Jerusalem! How long will you be unclean?"

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. --1 Corinthians 6:18

Leviticus 18:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

Exodus 22:19
Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death.

Leviticus 18:23
And you shall not lie with any animal and so make yourself unclean with it, neither shall any woman give herself to an animal to lie with it: it is perversion.

rusra02

Premium Member
But isn't this pretty much what separates all the Christian denominations? One denomination will say "This is what the Bible says," while another will say "Nah ah. This is what the Bible actually says." And a third will contend, "No. You're both wrong. This . . . ." It all depends on which "Christianity" one favors. Most saying, "Your Christianity is not based on what the Bible actually says."

That's true to an extent, although I think a number of major churches have abandoned all pretense of accepting the Bible as authority for their teachings. And that is why I think it is so important to know what the Bible really does teach.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Thing is. Many of the issues the Bible has about sex have nothing to do with "the ones who made him up wanted to make sure to be the fathers of their kids."

Matthew 5:28
28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Not really. If you condemn adultery, you reduce the chances of someone commiting adultery with someone elses wife.

Jeremiah 13:27
your adulteries and lustful neighings, your shameless prostitution! I have seen your detestable acts on the hills and in the fields. Woe to you, O Jerusalem! How long will you be unclean?"

Ditto. Free sex without commitment is dangerous. Instead of living a door open, it is easier to close them all.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Ok. Homosexuality is included. That deviates from my claim, althought adulterers and male prostitutes confirm it.

1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. --1 Corinthians 6:18

Too general.

Leviticus 18:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Homosexuality deviates from my claim. But I did not claim that all sexual prescriptions confirm my claim, since I mainly focus on the obsession for female purity and control. However, homosexuality could be equally bilogically motivated by the fact that it seems to prevent genes spreading.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

Same thing.

Exodus 22:19
Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death.

Same thing. Prevention of gene spreading.

Leviticus 18:23
And you shall not lie with any animal and so make yourself unclean with it, neither shall any woman give herself to an animal to lie with it: it is perversion.

Ditto.

Ciao

- viole

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
While its true the 12 precepts in Buddhism teaches us yo be sexually moral, tehres no description of what that morality is. Most are ok witg GLBTs.
More accurately, people in the west who play at Buddhist are okay with loose sexual conduct. I'd find it hard to believe that traditionally Buddhist societies are even as remotely liberal as you imagine they are. Buddhism even has a long tradition of monastic celibacy, as the very thesis of Buddhism is that emancipation from suffering is the renouncement of all worldly attachments. By having sex, you've already failed.

The word fornicate doesn't mean having sex before marriage Christians made it up.
No, I think you're the one making things up to be frank.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Although I've wondered about the Bible's various messages about sexuality, I've never asked, Why? Why does Christianity, and by extension, the Bible and it's authors, care sooo much about sex, and why do they feel the need to control how others engage in it?
As @beenherebeforeagain states, it seems to be you who is really hung up about sex, at least half your threads are about it in some way or another.

It is not so much that sex in and of itself is a sin, that you should desire to have sex is your created nature working as intended. The Christian Scriptures explicitly state this. It's that sex cannot be separated from the commitment of wedlock and family. Sex isn't a toy, it's a major act with lifelong consequences. Forget that we live in a world of contraception, antivirals and antibiotics, when an act can bring about the creation of a new human being (whom you must raise for at least eighteen years) it's not something to be taken lightly no matter how much the entertainment industry claims otherwise.

You don't have to like it, neither is anyone stopping you from sleeping around. But again, you have to be honest and ask if it's really the "Christians" who are obsessed with sex.

And on an aside, Christian society has never been uniquely demanding in its sexual ethics. If anything the hyper-sexuality of the industrialised west is the aberration.

Last edited:

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Sex often evokes powerful emotions. Powerful emotions often lead to powerful choices and powerful actions. Abrahamic monotheism has often been used as a means to keep this under control... whether by the individual as a form of honorable self discipline (or subservient delusion), or by religious leaders as a means of social control (whether for nefarious means of brainwashing and conquering entire peoples... or honest attempts at helping people overcome the potential dangers of their inner carnal Nature).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ana.J

In another thread I quoted a woman who said:
"Christianity is full of messages about sexuality and how that should be expressed for each gender. For example, we were told that women don’t really think about sex (I beg to differ) and that served to multiply my shame and it amplified the feeling that I was “not normal.” I had “too much of a sex drive.” We were told that boys were visually stimulated and thought about sex on a near constant basis. We were often told that “guys use love to get sex, while girls use sex to get love.” Married women would joke about how they tolerated sex because it was their “wifely duty,” and it helped them get their husband to take out the trash. There was no mention of women who engaged in sex enthusiastically, regularly, and for the pure enjoyment of the physical act itself. In the Bible, men were warned to stay away from women like this, because it would surely lead to ruin. Girls who were promiscuous were just “looking for love” or having “daddy issues.” Surely they couldn’t simply be interested in sex because they enjoyed it."

Although I've wondered about the Bible's various messages about sexuality, I've never asked, Why? Why does Christianity, and by extension, the Bible and it's authors, care sooo much about sex, and why do they feel the need to control how others engage in it?

Any thoughts?

I think sex is a very important part of any relationship and if you suppress and tabu this part of our life..you get a bunch of unsatisfied and neurotic sheep to herd.....

Kelly of the Phoenix

That's true to an extent, although I think a number of major churches have abandoned all pretense of accepting the Bible as authority for their teachings.
Shouldn't they be using God as the authority? If the bible is your authority, why pray? Just open the bible. By praying you are acknowledging you SHOULD be talking to the ACTUAL authority.

Unification

"Christianity is full of messages about sexuality and how that should be expressed for each gender. For example, we were told that women don’t really think about sex (I beg to differ) and that served to multiply my shame and it amplified the feeling that I was “not normal.” I had “too much of a sex drive.” We were told that boys were visually stimulated and thought about sex on a near constant basis. We were often told that “guys use love to get sex, while girls use sex to get love.” Married women would joke about how they tolerated sex because it was their “wifely duty,” and it helped them get their husband to take out the trash. There was no mention of women who engaged in sex enthusiastically, regularly, and for the pure enjoyment of the physical act itself. In the Bible, men were warned to stay away from women like this, because it would surely lead to ruin. Girls who were promiscuous were just “looking for love” or having “daddy issues.” Surely they couldn’t simply be interested in sex because they enjoyed it."

Any thoughts?

IMO, the whole book is about the mind in every human being having sex with itself and producing offspring such as thoughts, knowledge, emotions, etc.

The woman is the subconscious, sons are thoughts, daughters are emotions. So yes, I do stay away from minds such as that as it would lead to ruin as I stay away from any mind trying to control others.

As far as the common perception of "Christianity," when you take an inner book literally and idolly, you can twist and control the naive and will see sex physically and not of the mind being fruitful and multiplying in knowledge.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
Shouldn't they be using God as the authority? If the bible is your authority, why pray? Just open the bible. By praying you are acknowledging you SHOULD be talking to the ACTUAL authority.
I believe the basis for true Christian faith is the "All Scripture...inspired by God, and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight." (2 Timothy 3:16) The Bible is God's way of communicating his standards, purposes, and will. I think praying, even to the true God, and then ignoring what he has communicated to us, will fail. To people who hypocritically prayed while sinning against God, Isaiah 1:15 reveals; "And when you spread out your palms,I hide my eyes from you. Although you offer many prayers,I am not listening."

Muffled

Jesus in me

Any thoughts?

I believe it offers the most opportunities to sin. However it is neither a Christian emphasis nor a Biblical one. I think it just reflects the fact that people who like that sin contend with Christians more about it and it seems like an emphasis when it is actually a response.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I find it odd that so many people in 12 step programs including mine sex addicts anonymous and over eaters anonymous are so set on witnessing people getting them into the Christian church will even go so far as to say you have to be Christian to get sober. the reason is do you know how many Christians raised up a Christian in the Christian church become sex addicts? A lot.

I believe the saying is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I did have a good influence though. My grandmother was a teetotaler and I have managed to avoid excessive drinking because of that and also because I took to heart the Baptist mantra of the body being the temple of God. That also saved me from smoking. I could have used some good teaching on sex but Jesus turns out to be a good teacher in my latter years.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It would be interesting to find out when and why it all started...like why would God consider sex with consenting adults, a sin? Why is being a virgin seen as lifting people up on pedestals, in the Bible? Why is it more important for a woman to be a virgin before marriage than a man? I follow Jesus' teachings, and for all intents and purposes, I consider myself a Christian, but definitely don't subscribe to the oppressive side of the religion.

I believe you can tell if a girl is a virgin or not but you can't with a man. It sounds like it was designed that way.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe it offers the most opportunities to sin.
And well it might, but only because the Bible has focused so much on it, which raised my question, why?
Why does Christianity, and by extension, the Bible and it's authors, care sooo much about sex?

However it is neither a Christian emphasis nor a Biblical one.
But it IS emphasized in the Bible, (See the quote in the OP) and a subject that does generate very strong opinions among Christians, almost all of them taking the form of "Don'ts."

I think it just reflects the fact that people who like that sin contend with Christians more about it and it seems like an emphasis when it is actually a response.
Sorry, but I can't make sense of this. Please rephrase.

I believe you can tell if a girl is a virgin or not but you can't with a man. It sounds like it was designed that way.
Other than "Virgin" branded on her forehead, how?

Last edited:

Deidre

That's just anatomy. I don't think God is a sexist, it is mankind that adds its labels onto things.

Muffled

Jesus in me
That's just anatomy. I don't think God is a sexist, it is mankind that adds its labels onto things.

I believe anatomy has labels. I believe God created a duck to quack but that is not a knock against pigeons. He created women to have babies and not men, does that make Him sexist? However if it bugs you, you could ask Him to make you a man in the next life.

Deidre

I believe anatomy has labels. I believe God created a duck to quack but that is not a knock against pigeons. He created women to have babies and not men, does that make Him sexist? However if it bugs you, you could ask Him to make you a man in the next life.
Your post makes no sense in response to mine. I never said I wanted to be a man in the next life?