• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why can't we have a relationship with other men?

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
No, you would not want to be a transsexual. It's extremely painful and difficult to deal with.

Why would anyone WANT to be anything other than what they are!? I've been down that road; pretending to be someone other than what you are not is a terrible road to travel. Gender identity and sexual orientation are not things that we try on and take off; they are things that either are, or are not.

I haven't read all 150+ posts, but I wanted to respond to the OP.

Engaging in safe, monogamous, wise relationships with members of the same sex -- provided that this is who and what you are -- harms no one. As it harms no one, there is no rational reason whatsoever why you "can't" have a relationship with another man. All of these "rules" and "prohibitions" many doctrines put on homosexuality is born out of fear.

I call it the "Ew" Factor. Gays are a small minority in the world's population. When heterosexuals, being the vast majority (thus the ones who "make the rules" because their strength in numbers says they can); when most of them consider same sex relationships, it goes against their nature and "weirds them out". So, they say "Ew!" It's a perfectly normal and natural reaction for them; we are each wired differently. The problem is, somewhere along the line, that "Ew" turns to fear turns to hate and let's all gather 'round and pick up some stones ....

Ignore them.

When it comes to your sexuality, you seem to already who you are and what road you need to take. When that time is right for you, take your road and find your happiness.

When it comes to religion, I don't think you know where you want to go. To that end, I would only say this: Why would you choose to align yourself with others who would condemn and shame you? Use your head, follow your heart, and see where it leads.

Peace!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why would anyone WANT to be anything other than what they are!? I've been down that road; pretending to be someone other than what you are not is a terrible road to travel. Gender identity and sexual orientation are not things that we try on and take off; they are things that either are, or are not.

Um, okay. But that has little to do with what I said.

So, they say "Ew!" It's a perfectly normal and natural reaction for them; we are each wired differently.

On the contrary. I believe it is a socially ingrained reaction due to socio-cultural bigotry against homosexuality.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

I hate my laptop. I lose my cursor, press BksPace, one too many times, and I lose everything I typed ... Sheesh ...

Um, okay. But that has little to do with what I said.

I quoted you to emphasize your words; not to debate them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

On the contrary. I believe it is a socially ingrained reaction due to socio-cultural bigotry against homosexuality.

I surely accept social conditioning plays a role, but I am unconvinced that social conditioning is an exclusive role. So, when you say, "On the contrary", we are only "contrary" if you hold the belief that social conditioning is the exclusive role. In that case, I'm open to hearing what you have to say; maybe you know something I don't that may change my opinion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I quoted you to emphasize your words; not to debate them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No worries.

I surely accept social conditioning plays a role, but I am unconvinced that social conditioning is an exclusive role. So, when you say, "On the contrary", we are only "contrary" if you hold the belief that social conditioning is the exclusive role. In that case, I'm open to hearing what you have to say; maybe you know something I don't that may change my opinion.

I just have no reason to believe that revulsion is a natural, innate response of heterosexuals to homosexuality. Obviously not all heterosexuals respond to homosexuals in that manner. In fact, it seems to me that the ones who are repulsed by homosexuality are often insecure about their own sexual orientation.

But maybe I just understand it because I'm neither heterosexual or homosexual. I don't understand the juvenile and offensive attitudes some gays and lesbians have toward the opposite sex, either.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

The offensive attitudes of gays towards members of the opposite sex I can only coin as "juvenile". There, we stand in real agreement. I can abide disinterest; but not revulsion.

But based on the comment of "I find no real reason" suggests to me a personal opinion and subjective response. I'm fine with that and have to be as I have no way to disprove it. But at the same time, it's not enough to convince me.

But, no worries. On many world issues, we are on the same team.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The offensive attitudes of gays towards members of the opposite sex I can only coin as "juvenile". There, we stand in real agreement. I can abide disinterest; but not revulsion.

But based on the comment of "I find no real reason" suggests to me a personal opinion and subjective response. I'm fine with that and have to be as I have no way to disprove it. But at the same time, it's not enough to convince me.

But, no worries. On many world issues, we are on the same team.

Fair enough.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I hate my laptop. I lose my cursor, press BksPace, one too many times, and I lose everything I typed ... Sheesh ...

When you click in an area to begin typing..simply move your cursor (arrow) to the side of the screen. Touch-pads have the tendency to react to the slightest touch or heat from your hand and highlight what you were typing and as you continue to type while looking at the keys it will erase everything you were trying to originally say.

OK.... Back to the thread. Sorry for the side note.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't mean like doing orgies and wicked stuff like that. But why can't we make love to people of our gender. I don't get it. I am attracted to men.

Well, Sin is when you hurt someone. If you have sex with a man, who are you hurting? Nobody: so, no sin at all

Tiberius

Well, Sin is when you hurt someone. If you have sex with a man, who are you hurting? Nobody: so, no sin at all

I disagree. Sin is an imaginary illness designed to sell you the imaginary cure of religion, cooked up be the people who benefit from having you follow their religion.

In short, it's advertising.

It's no different than when you see the ads saying, "Use our skin cream and fight the signs of aging!" It's designed to make you think, "Oh no! I don't want to suffer from the signs of aging! I must fight it! Luckily these people have shown me a product I can use to do this! I shall use their product and escape this horror which I did not care about five minutes ago!"

It works the same. "Believe our religion and you'll avoid hell!" It's designed to make you think, "I don't want to go to this hell place I've just learned about! Therefore I will believe in this religion in order to avoid hell and I'll be safe."

Like I said, an imaginary illness designed to sell you an imaginary cure.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I disagree. Sin is an imaginary illness designed to sell you the imaginary cure of religion, cooked up be the people who benefit from having you follow their religion.

In short, it's advertising.

It's no different than when you see the ads saying, "Use our skin cream and fight the signs of aging!" It's designed to make you think, "Oh no! I don't want to suffer from the signs of aging! I must fight it! Luckily these people have shown me a product I can use to do this! I shall use their product and escape this horror which I did not care about five minutes ago!"

It works the same. "Believe our religion and you'll avoid hell!" It's designed to make you think, "I don't want to go to this hell place I've just learned about! Therefore I will believe in this religion in order to avoid hell and I'll be safe."

Like I said, an imaginary illness designed to sell you an imaginary cure.

The psychology is similar, but the motivation is absolutely not. The situation was not a world that lacked all religion, and then suddenly people thought of using religion to control people, using sin as one of its methods of control.

Religious behavior is an inherent part of human psychology, and even people who do not identify with a religion will likely(though obviously not always) still exhibit this behavior, such as celebrating holidays and birthdays. In the Old Times, there was no distinction between religious and secular; it was all Culture.

Tribal loyalty was also much more important, as breaking that loyalty could be dangerous. Sin was simply one region's concept of disloyalty to the Tribe, and in actuality, the Germanic word sin (OE synn, OS sundia, PG *sun(d)jo) has different etymological connotations than the Hebrew word het, which is translated to sin. From an article on the subject:

Het literally means something that goes astray. It is a term used in archery to indicate that the arrow has missed its target. This concept of sin suggests a straying from the correct ways, from what is good and straight.
The Jewish View of Sin - My Jewish Learning

Sin, or synn, on the other hand, is actually more in line with the modern concept of a guilty plea in a court of law. (The word "guilty" also comes from Old English, and referred to the same modern common usage of the word: feeling bad because of something done, synonymous with the Romance-derived word remorse.) While related, these two concepts are different in what they emphasize: one emphasizes the good, while the other emphasizes the bad. (A glass half full/glass half empty dichotomy).

Besides, when it comes to the Christianization of Europe, it wasn't fear of hellfire that won over the common folk, but the promise of Heaven. (Political advantage won over the Kings.) Don't forget that Christianity's spread through Europe coincided with the Migration Age, and later the Viking Age; this is not a coincidence. This period of about 600 years was not a time to be living in Europe, as wars, raids, and invasions were commonplace. (Almost as soon as Rome fell, the Saxons invaded Britain, killing men and raping women, in an act of mass-genocide relegating the Celts to a small pocket of the Island, now called Wales, after Welsh, a word derived from the Germanic equivalent to the Hebrew concept of gentile; a few centuries later, the Normans did the same to the Saxons). In such a time of horror, when the Old Way didn't really talk much about an afterlife, and when it did it depicted an icy realm of darkness and cold, suddenly the idea that this funny man in funny robes with a funny cross-necklace presented about a land of eternal joy and peace, evergreen grass and warm sunlight, where one can be once again reunited with family long gone, doesn't sound so unappealing anymore.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I just have no reason to believe that revulsion is a natural, innate response of heterosexuals to homosexuality. Obviously not all heterosexuals respond to homosexuals in that manner. In fact, it seems to me that the ones who are repulsed by homosexuality are often insecure about their own sexual orientation.

But maybe I just understand it because I'm neither heterosexual or homosexual. I don't understand the juvenile and offensive attitudes some gays and lesbians have toward the opposite sex, either.

I do not like the juvenile type responses either but I would find it odd if someone who is inclined one way didn't find at least some repulsion to what they are not inclined toward. There may very well be insecure types, probably the types that base their ideas solely by religion in a fight against their very own nature.

Then again I have met many who don't really care but still believe with conviction that god doesn't want it. The things Paul says in scripture is a big issue. I quoted from Romans one time, just to say what the bible said and got pegged as a homophobe or spreading the hate message or something like that. I am not, I detest some of those sayings personally.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond to your remark, but if I know about it, it is my business.

Really?

Well, if you don't approve of homosexuality or anal sex, then don't do it.

By what presumptuousness do you assume that what others do, provided it harms none, is any of your business?

Tiberius

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond to your remark, but if I know about it, it is my business.

You also know about many murders that occur, government corruption and homeless children who have no food, so all of those are your business as well.

Seems to me that if gay people having consensual sex is what bothers you the most out of all of these, you have your priorities all wrong.

Agnostic75

Some of this is from another thread. I have 1robin's permission to copy and paste his comments.

1robin said:
1. Homosexuality produces massive increases in suffering, death, and cost.

2. It has no justification what so ever that compensates for its cost.

Agnostic75 said:
You certainly know what a composition fallacy is, which is judging a whole based upon some of the parts, and that nowhere near all homosexuals have risks that are high enough to justify abstinence.

1robin said:
I do not know of a single point I made about homosexuality that contained anything that had anything to do with a composition of anything. My argument consisted of two points which had nothing to do with extrapolations from individual truths to generalizations about groups.

Wikipedia says:

Wikipedia said:
The fallacy of composition arises when one infers that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole (or even of every proper part).

Regarding item 1, was an obvious example of a composition fallacy since you generalized when you said "homosexuality," which obviously refers to all homosexuals who have sex. Many homosexuals do not produce massive increases in suffering, death, and cost.

Regarding item 2, that is also a composition fallacy since many homosexuals do not increase costs. Obviously, homosexuality is justified for those homosexuals. Having safe sex has proven health benefits. Long term abstinence has proven health risks. Some homosexuals who have tried long term abstinence ended up worse off than they were before, and had to get medical treatment as a result. For those homosexuals, practicing abstinence increased costs, and was therefore a failure.

You have no secular moral basis to recommend that all homosexuals should practice abstinence since you said that some other high risks groups should not practice abstinence. I am referring to black American heterosexuals, who have high risks, black African heterosexuals, who have much higher risks, heterosexuals who live in poverty, and heterosexual women 45 years of age and older, many of whom have sex only for pleasure, and are not needed in most countries to maintain the populations. You have even less of a moral basis since you also said that any deaths at all from AIDS is too many when I asked you how many deaths is too many. As far as I know, you have never replied to the arguments in this paragraph when I made some similar arguments months ago.

In part of your first post in this thread, you said:

1robin said:
He did not say you could not do it. He said you should not do so. I can kill but I shouldn't. If you are saying you see nothing wrong with it. That it produces no negative effects then why does the blood bank ask you if you are a homosexual as one of their prohibitive requirements? Are you suggesting that your desire to do something makes that thing right?

Do you still stand by those arguments? If so, they are obviously a composition fallacy since you said that all homosexuals should practice abstinence even though many of them are healthy, and have been strongly committed to monogamy for many years.

No major medical organization, including the CDC, would recommend that all homosexuals should practice abstinence.

Agnostic75

1robin said:
I know that humanity at large would be better off without homosexuality. That fact is evident from unending statistics and common sense. I would think that homosexuals in particular would be better off but I do not think they would agree. They apparently place more value on fulfilling their desires than the risks they produce. So they would move heaven and earth to make it seem like there were all sorts of devastating costs to not practicing homosexuality. IMO they would be making up most of them, a few would have merit, but none would justify the cost regardless.

I would think the most logical way to go about it would be to initially label the practice as wrong, and not require anyone else to pay the costs of those who engage in it but not criminalize what people do in private. Civil unions may be ok but I would restrict them in any way where others are involved and must pay for them.

I said:

"In your opinion, are some homosexuals better off practicing homosexuality than practicing long term abstinence?"

You did not answer the question. Please do so. I want to know if your position is that all homosexuals who practice homosexuality are at fault.

I agree with you that it would be better if everyone was a heterosexual, but that is not what we have been debating. The most important issue is what should be done about homosexuality. I would agree that homosexuals who practice unsafe sex would be better off if they practiced abstinence, but the same thing would also apply to heterosexuals who practice unsafe sex.

Homosexuals who have been monogamous for at least five years, and are strongly committed to monogamy, have no need of practicing abstinence. In addition, having safe sex has proven health benefits, and practicing long term abstinence has proven health risks.

Some homosexuals who have tried long term abstinence ended up worse off than they were before, and had to get medical treatment as a result. For those homosexuals, trying abstinence increased costs, and suffering, and was therefore a failure.

Holding, touching, kissing, and having sex are highly prized by most humans, and have many physical. and emotional health benefits. It would be very unfair for anyone to say that long term, monogamous homosexuals, who are strongly committed to monogamy, should practice abstinence for life.

You need to understand that lesbians have much lower risks for some things than gay men do. For example, lesbians have much lower risks than gay men of getting HIV, and AIDS. An Internet article at a website of the American Psychological Association said:

New data on lesbian, gay and bisexual mental health

"A study found lesbians reported equally strong levels of mental health as their heterosexual sisters and higher self-esteem."

"A new study of gay and lesbian youth finds that they are only slightly more likely than heterosexual youth to attempt suicide, refuting previous research that suggested much higher rates."

Statistics can be misleading if they are not used properly. Some legitimate scientific research has shown that higher percentages of homosexuals have certain problems than heterosexuals, sometimes much higher. However, in most cases, the statistics do not apply to the majority of homosexuals, and in some cases, not even to 10% of homosexuals.

Is your position that enough homosexuals have serious medical problems to warrant all of them practicing long term abstinence? If so, which medical problems, and what percentages of homosexuals have them?

You have no secular moral basis to recommend that all homosexuals should practice abstinence since you said that some other high risks groups should not practice abstinence. I am referring to black American heterosexuals, who have high risks, black African heterosexuals, who have much higher risks, heterosexuals who live in poverty, and heterosexual women 45 years of age and older, many of whom have sex only for pleasure, and in most countries do not need to have sex in order to maintain the populations. You have even less of a moral basis since you also said that any deaths at all from AIDS is too many when I asked you how many deaths is too many.

Regarding heterosexuals having to pay some of the medical costs for homosexuals who have STDs, that is not a valid argument since if everyone was a heterosexual, heterosexuals who never get heart disease would still have to pay some of the medical costs for people who get heart disease. Heart disease is often preventable, and so is obesity. Some researchers have predicted that by 2030, 50% of Americans will be obese, and that that will add 500 billion dollars a year to medical costs. It often costs a good deal more to treat a case of AIDS than it does to treat a case of heart disease, but collectively, it costs far more to treat heart disease since far more people get it. In 2010, about 40 times more Americans, or about 4,000 per cent more Americans, died from heart disease than died from AIDS.

In your opinion, where should the money come from for the treatment of AIDS for homosexuals, and for heterosexuals who have AIDS? How about in Africa, where in some places, AIDS is more prevalent among heterosexuals than it is among homosexuals. How about in the Caribbean, where two thirds of AIDS cases are from heterosexuals?

If all homosexuals practiced abstinence, medical costs would drop a lot, but if all heterosexuals had better diets, and got more exercise, medical costs would drop far more.

1robin said:
Not validate it by a covenant that only Christianity is the foundation for (marriage).

I do not understand what you meant.

1robin said:
While these type measures are enforced I would study it in detail and without bias of any kind to get at what it's true nature is and what measures are available to deal with it. I think that the issue is far too politically involved to get much good science concerning it done. We should assume it is a choice until persuaded reliably otherwise.

If scientists should not be trusted to conduct the research, who should conduct it?

I made my post 866 in August of last year. As far as I know, you did not reply to it. I said:

"When homosexuality was in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association, no Christian opponent of homosexuality would have claimed that political pressure, or liability were involved."

You replied:

"That has nothing to do with whether or not it belonged there."

Why did it belong there? If political pressure was involved when homosexuality was removed from the DSM, why wouldn't you also conclude that political, and religious pressure were involved when it was put in the DSM? That valid argument never occurs to conservative Christians who complain that political pressure from homosexuals was part of the reason why homosexuality was removed from the DSM. Conservative Christians can be as political as anyone else.

You also said:

"These official statements [about zoophilia from the American Psychiatric Association] are not good representations of what is rational. These people have liability issues involved, political pressure, and a whole different criteria than people in a forum."

I replied:

"If homosexuality was harmful, major medical associations that support it would be [legally] at risk, so your arguments are absurd."

I said:

"If all major medical organizations said that homosexuality is a mental illness, and is unhealthy, you would be quoting them."

You replied:

"I probably would but I would have entertained the comments I made if you had made them instead."

If you would be quoting all major medical organizations if they said that homosexuality is a mental illness, and is harmful, wouldn't that contradict your comments that ".......the issue is far too politically involved to get much good science concerning it done. We should assume it is a choice until persuaded reliably otherwise"?

1robin said:
We should assume it is a choice until persuaded reliably otherwise.

Are you saying that initial sexual identity at puberty is a choice? If so, based upon what evidence? Some time ago, you said:

"I believe that genetics are not significantly influential concerning homosexuality."

Do you have any scientific research that supports that claim?

The majority of children who are raised by homosexuals turn out to be heterosexuals? How do you explain that if environment is the main cause of sexual identity?

The vast majority of people are heterosexuals. That is largely because their predominant sexual urges at puberty were heterosexual. Similarly, homosexuals who have always practiced exclusively same-sex behavior became homosexuals largely because their predominant sexual urges at puberty were homosexual.

You must know that 1) when teenagers reach a certain age, most of them have sexual urges that they did not ask for, and did not cause, that 2) for the majority of teenagers, the sexual urges are predominantly heterosexual, and that 3) for a minority of teenagers, the sexual urges are predominantly homosexual, or bisexual.

Also, you must know that some teenagers who have same-sex urges are raised as conservative Christians by parents who strongly oppose homosexuality, and the teenagers also strongly oppose homosexuality, but still have strong, predominantly same-sex urges. That proves that in those cases, sexual identity was not a choice.

Many if not the majority of homosexuals who were strongly religiously motivated to change their sexual identity were not able to do so. Even if a complete change of sexual identity sometimes occurs, that is rare.

Last edited:

TheGunShoj

I don't mean like doing orgies and wicked stuff like that. But why can't we make love to people of our gender. I don't get it. I am attracted to men.

I don't believe in God, but if there were really an omniscient, omnipotent being out there, I doubt it would give a hoot about what you do in your own bedroom with your own privates with other consenting adults. I say do what makes you happy man!:rainbow1: