• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why can't we have a relationship with other men?

F0uad

Well the most simple answer i can give you is that God doesn't approve such actions, i think there are also religions that belief and maybe its also a argument that S3x is only meant for producing children. In Islam if you resist temptation of something ''forbidden'' (The action not thought) it will benefit you later.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Diseases are more likely to be spread by anal sex, and religions generally tried to keep things in a way society could manage them.

Not against homosexual wo/men having sex or marrying at all BTW, I am just saying why I assume they were forbidden by many religions.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The religion I grew up know this bit about is christianity.

In the case of Christianity, it gets a bit fuzzier (by which I mean, dumber). Something to do with a sign of rampant wickedness or something, with a bit of Sodom and a bit of Rome thrown in as examples.

davidthegreek

Diseases are more likely to be spread by anal sex, and religions generally tried to keep things in a way society could manage them.

Not against homosexual wo/men having sex or marrying at all BTW, I am just saying why I assume they were forbidden by many religions.

not all gay people have anal sex. Some people just prefer to play with each other's bodies.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Something I've often wondered about is how homosexuality fell into disrepute in Catholic culture. I offer some musings but not real arguments.

Mores against homosexuality probably appeared for several reasons. First of all, the Greeks thought homosexual love was more beautiful and better than heterosexual love. Christianity appeared in the midst of a world culture that was trying to force Greek lifestyles onto Jewish people, and I do mean 'Force'. If there's one thing I know about Jewish people, its that they don't believe in being told how to live by outsiders. The early Christian culture (which some call Nazarine and others Catholic, some 'The Way' etc) rejected many Greek influences. That may have played into the rejection of homosexual love.

There are other variables. Homosexual love may not have been rejected by early Christians but may instead of been discouraged by leaders in the churches in later periods. There are many time periods in which priests had varying degrees of authority in social planning.

Also, rejection of homosexuality may have come into play in an attempt to give women equal social standing with men. In many parts of the world on past centuries a woman had less value than a man, and she might be seen as just a 'Baby factory'. Among early Christians it seems there was a progressive emphasis upon equality, and rejecting homosexuality may have been seen as a way of equalizing the sexes. In other words, rejection of homosexuality may have been part of an attempt at feminism, to liberate women; and it would be something the men felt they had to give up for the sake of their new sisters. (I am not saying that homosexuality causes inequality but that it may have been seen that way. Actually I don't know, and I wonder myself what the USA is going to be like when homosexuality is legally recognized everywhere.)

Also, homosexual love is barely mentioned in the Catholic Bible, and its possible that the relevant passages are being misinterpreted today. I don't know for sure, and I have looked at it at some length. It seems that 2000 years is a long time, and people alive then thought subtly different from people today.

The total function of homosexuality in society is a question mark. Persecution of homosexuals is not at all confined to Christianity. It appears in many cultures. Ancient South American cultures record laws against it. Many places have seen persecutions of gays. I think that only now, today, with so much History and analysis in our grasp; do we really have the ability to investigate the nature of and affect of homosexuality upon an entire culture. Despite that, past cultures have taken extreme positions upon the subject. As I said Historically in some places it has been illegal, and in other places it has been almost a requirement.

Last edited: