• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't I go to heaven?

Vultar

Fortunately, everyone goes to the same place. The whole "heaven and hell" thing is just a device to scare the sheep into line.

Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to believe what I write.... I'm just a messenger.... :D

Muffled

Jesus in me
Fortunately, everyone goes to the same place. The whole "heaven and hell" thing is just a device to scare the sheep into line.

Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to believe what I write.... I'm just a messenger.... :D

The scriptural evidence is contrary to that concept.

No doubt that there are those who would use Hell to try saving people from their sin, perhaps because it is effective. People who are real Christians have no fear of Hell. The whole Heaven and Hell thing are biblical concepts not man made concepts.

Muffled

Jesus in me
and so he created us with the capacity for evil, that he doesn't have. Why not just create us with different interests, hobbies or personalities?

I was mainly referring to in this life. He makes us flawed and then punishes us for our flaws (except a select few)

We are not created in this life. The flaws probably have existed for a long time and the origien of the the devil. We were created perfect. People are punished for listening to the devil instead of listening to God. You have a choice.

RubyEyes

Truth Seeker
The title sounds dumb I know, but hear me out.

For the sake of argument, let's just say that god does in fact exist. Being an atheist, I would therefore be condemned to suffer an eternity of torment in hell. But...

Why? I am a good person. I'm not a criminal and I've never done drugs. On any normal day, I will go out of my way to help someone if they ask. Sometimes they don't even need to; I'll just offer my help. So if god is just sitting up there watching all this, why would he send me to hell? Because I don't believe? It was him after all who gave me the ability to not believe. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't, because I find the idea of an omnipotent creator absurd and illogical. If he truly did love me, as the bible says he claims to do, then surely he would be able to overlook the transgression of a difference of opinion when I am an overall good person.

Anyone else share the same theory, or have something to counter with?
If the world works as I think it does, non-belief will not send you into Hell; given that hell exists in the first place.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

It may well be the same place.

You could end up alongside all the people you ever offended....forever.
Including people you haven't met face to face.
Like the many thousands who read your postings.

Do you recall a fellow named 'Rushdie'? (I think I spelled it right)
He wrote a book that offended the Muslim faith.
A price tag was put out for his head.

Never heard anything more about it.
He could be hiding in seclusion.

But in the next life.....
where can you run to hide?....if we all go to the same place.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
We are not created in this life. The flaws probably have existed for a long time and the origien of the the devil. We were created perfect. People are punished for listening to the devil instead of listening to God. You have a choice.

and who created the devil and how do we discern what the devil says from what God says. After all the devil is a great deceiver.

For the sake of argument, let's just say that god does in fact exist. Being an atheist, I would therefore be condemned to suffer an eternity of torment in hell. But...

Why? I am a good person. I'm not a criminal and I've never done drugs. On any normal day, I will go out of my way to help someone if they ask. Sometimes they don't even need to; I'll just offer my help. So if god is just sitting up there watching all this, why would he send me to hell? Because I don't believe? It was him after all who gave me the ability to not believe. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't, because I find the idea of an omnipotent creator absurd and illogical. If he truly did love me, as the bible says he claims to do, then surely he would be able to overlook the transgression of a difference of opinion when I am an overall good person.

There are requirements in order to enter heaven. One of those requirements is to enter the Church of Christ and to adhere to its doctrines.

Muffled

Jesus in me
and who created the devil and how do we discern what the devil says from what God says. After all the devil is a great deceiver.

God created the devil as a perfect angel. How he became otherwise is a mystery.

One says He is a friend and He dies for you.
The other says he is your friend and he kills you.

Muffled

Jesus in me
If the world works as I think it does, non-belief will not send you into Hell; given that hell exists in the first place.

The world never works the way we think it does.

Non-belief can be seen as rebellion against God which is akin to witchcraft and punishable by death.

Since just caling a person a fool (I have done that) would qualify a person for being in danger of Hell, certainly non-belief is worse than that. Still it comes down to a judgement of God. I don't believe that a person accidentally goes to Hell as a result of non-belief.

Tristesse

Non-belief can be seen as rebellion against God which is akin to witchcraft and punishable by death.

Since just caling a person a fool (I have done that) would qualify a person for being in danger of Hell, certainly non-belief is worse than that. Still it comes down to a judgement of God. I don't believe that a person accidentally goes to Hell as a result of non-belief.

Why anyone would worship an immoral monster like that, is beyond me. It's even sadder that that this immoral behaviour is lotted as just and good, when it's the complete opposite.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
One says He is a friend and He dies for you.
The other says he is your friend and he kills you.

and how do we know that the devil isn't the being who inspired the bible? Or that God is using his power to deceive us and actually the devil is the more moral? Maybe the devils 'deceiving' is actually him trying to save us from God's deceiving.

RubyEyes

Truth Seeker
Then why would you tell me your opinion, if the world would never work like you believe either?

We at least have a chance of being right.

Seen by whom? Punishable by whom? Not by the God I believe, certainly.

Since just caling a person a fool (I have done that) would qualify a person for being in danger of Hell,
Insulting is not preferable, but I believe it's unavoidable when angry. No reasonable father would eternally punish their children for momentary angers. Anger is part of human nature. We're not perfect and God knows.

certainly non-belief is worse than that. Still it comes down to a judgement of God. I don't believe that a person accidentally goes to Hell as a result of non-belief.
Yes, I agree with that. God is the ultimate judge. But it is my hope and belief that God is merciful and loving, instead of a punisher.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
God does not 'punish' all, but only the unrepentant according to 2nd Peter 3 v 9 B

Punished with destruction [perished] or facing destruction, extinction, eternal loss of life.
-2nd Thess. 1 v 9

The wicked are punished with everlasting destruction. -Psalm 92 v 7.

The times of ignorance is past..... - Acts 17 vs 30,31

The 'goats' do Not receive everlasting life but are everlastingly cut off from life.
-Matthew 25 vs 31,32,46.

Jesus' words will do away with the wicked. -Isaiah 11 vs 3,4; Rev. 19 vs 11,15

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

My 2 cents late in the game. I believe in God and Life After Death and believe you will be fine (better than most probably).

You're concerning yourself too much with the conservative Christian dogma which doesn't stand up to intelligent reasoning.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My 2 cents late in the game. I believe in God and Life After Death and believe you will be fine (better than most probably).

You're concerning yourself too much with the conservative Christian dogma which doesn't stand up to intelligent reasoning.

Your two cents will prove a treasure in the next life.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Entirely this.

I don't believe eternal Hell is even really a Biblically-based doctrine anyway. Generally Hell was Hades, or Sheol -- the grave, so those who died 'wrong' would stay dead.

However, my own belief as universalist is you'll be fine.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Entirely this.

I don't believe eternal Hell is even really a Biblically-based doctrine anyway. Generally Hell was Hades, or Sheol -- the grave, so those who died 'wrong' would stay dead.

However, my own belief as universalist is you'll be fine.

Does this include standing up from your flesh and 'moving on'?
And if you fail, the grave and it's eternal darkness is not felt?

Dead means...no life, no spirit?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Does this include standing up from your flesh and 'moving on'?
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here.

And if you fail, the grave and it's eternal darkness is not felt?

Dead means...no life, no spirit?
That's what I believe is the case. Jesus is claimed to have said:

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." - Matthew 10:28. With "hell" meaning "the grave".

But it's not my religion, though, so that doesn't affect me; my own personal opinion is we all meet God, eventually. :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking here.

That's what I believe is the case. Jesus is claimed to have said:

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." - Matthew 10:28. With "hell" meaning "the grave".

But it's not my religion, though, so that doesn't affect me; my own personal opinion is we all meet God, eventually. :)

I suspect multiple scenarios....each to his own.
Consequence dealt BECAUSE of belief.

Still there does seem a prevailing scheme of things in spite of belief.

You are for the moment stuck in that parcel of flesh.
You seem to be in control as you say as you please...do as you please.
If your hand does anything at all...it's because you thought you should...
or felt like it.

But finally, the end when catch up to each one of us.
Then what?

Many will surrender their last breaths, but for lack of intention...lay there.
They will want to stand up...but can't.
They might be aware when friends and relatives put them in the box.
And the box into the ground.
Solitary confinement...in a box?
Eternal darkness is physically real.

This would indeed, destroy the mind and spirit.

There will be only one desire waiting for us when we die.
The desire to stand up.
I suggest we go for it.

Then back to God we go.