• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't I go to heaven?

Tristesse

the standards are set for all to see it is really quite simple even for you. do you consider your views on reality more intelligent than God's.

I don't see that these standards are anything worthy of living up to, nor do I see that anyone should claim that they are. My views on morality are better than pretty much any charcter in the bible. I think almost anyone living today has better moral character than the bronze age men who wrote the book.

Scott1

My views on morality are better than pretty much any charcter in the bible. I think almost anyone living today has better moral character than the bronze age men who wrote the book.
Well said ... and in my opinion true. The treatment of women and slaves in that era Is morally repugnant to me today...

I never set the rules, I think it is based on the idea that breaking one makes you just as guilty as breaking them all and therefore not worthy to enter heaven.

If breaking one commandment makes you just as guilty as breaking all of them then what's the point of having ten separate commandments?

look3467

Premium Member
I never set the rules, I think it is based on the idea that breaking one makes you just as guilty as breaking them all and therefore not worthy to enter heaven.>>>miss interpret

If breaking one commandment makes you just as guilty as breaking all of them then what's the point of having ten separate commandments? >>>Ghost of a Rider

To cover all the bases. >>>Daviso452

Believe me or not, all of those quotes above are ingredients of the truth!

The rational on all those quotes are from a diversity of views, yet are all part of the truth.

Here's how.

Because God made us independent creatures with intelligence to reason, as we were made in His image, intelligence that is, and therefore as gods.

As gods, we tunk (pardon the slang)to be as God, above others, or in other words lord over others making slaves via free or in bonds.

And some tunk to be supper religious to the point where they thought they could work such a work of righteousness that alone would gain them entrance into heaven.

How an ignoramus thought that was and sadly, is today as well.

The breaking of one commandment making us guilty of all the ten commandments is to let us know that we are nothing close of ever making it to heaven on our own merits.

Thus, humanities "lost" condition.

Unless God Himself with His own righteousness gives to us, as our own righteousness His, we're doomed.

You see the Ten Commandments are Gods laws to condemn humanity of any merits of own righteousness and requiring the righteouness of God be the salvation of mankind.

So, in the case of miss interprets quote above, yes, she is correct.

In the case of Ghost of a Rider's quote above, "what's the point" is also true because there is a point as I have explained.

In the case of Daviso452's quote above, is also true because God covered all His bases to where mankind could not, would not be able to meet the strictness of the commandments and live to see heaven.

Here's the part of the ten that not to many folks see to consider.

When it says that the very lustful thought of a man seeing a disrobed women , would automatically condemn him.

The very thought! let alone the ten commandments.

The do not's have o do with work, while the lustful thought has to do with the spiritual.

So, you see, God covered all His bases in making mankind unworthy of its own merits to do righteousness required by the law.

So here are a few scriptures for you all to consider on this very subject, since it was brought up.

Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

As for the point: 2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Oxymoron: condemnation be glory? Ministration of righteousness be glory?

All bases: Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

See.....all three of you with your diversities have a portion of the truth.

Blessings, AJ

The rational on all those quotes are from a diversity of views, yet are all part of the truth.

Here's how.

Because God made us independent creatures with intelligence to reason, as we were made in His image, intelligence that is, and therefore as gods.

As gods, we tunk (pardon the slang)to be as God, above others, or in other words lord over others making slaves via free or in bonds.

And some tunk to be supper religious to the point where they thought they could work such a work of righteousness that alone would gain them entrance into heaven.

The breaking of one commandment making us guilty of all the ten commandments is to let us know that we are nothing close of ever making it to heaven on our own merits.

Unless God Himself with His own righteousness gives to us, as our own righteousness His, we're doomed.

You see the Ten Commandments are Gods laws to condemn humanity of any merits of own righteousness and requiring the righteouness of God be the salvation of mankind.

So, in the case of miss interprets quote above, yes, she is correct.

In the case of Ghost of a Rider's quote above, "what's the point" is also true because there is a point as I have explained.

In the case of Daviso452's quote above, is also true because God covered all His bases to where mankind could not, would not be able to meet the strictness of the commandments and live to see heaven.

Here's the part of the ten that not to many folks see to consider.

When it says that the very lustful thought of a man seeing a disrobed women , would automatically condemn him.

The very thought! let alone the ten commandments.

The do not's have o do with work, while the lustful thought has to do with the spiritual.

So, you see, God covered all His bases in making mankind unworthy of its own merits to do righteousness required by the law.

So here are a few scriptures for you all to consider on this very subject, since it was brought up.

Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

As for the point: 2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

All bases: Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

See.....all three of you with your diversities have a portion of the truth.

Blessings, AJ

Excellent post.

Here's how.

The ten commandments are not laws to condemn humanity, they are laws to be obeyed.

It sounds like you're saying that the only purpose of the ten commandments is to remind us that we can never abide by the ten commandments - "You can never obey these rules and if you don't, you are condemned." Does that make any sense to you?

Do the ten commandments have any inherent moral purpose or are they just there to remind us that we can never be righteous? I can accept that I can never be righteous but I have to believe that if someone commits murder, it means more than just that we can never be righteous.

The ten commandments are not laws to condemn humanity, they are laws to be obeyed.

It sounds like you're saying that the only purpose of the ten commandments is to remind us that we can never abide by the ten commandments - "You can never obey these rules and if you don't, you are condemned." Does that make any sense to you?

Do the ten commandments have any inherent moral purpose or are they just there to remind us that we can never be righteous? I can accept that I can never be righteous but I have to believe that if someone commits murder, it means more than just that we can never be righteous.

The ten commandments were given to show mankind they will never attain the standard God requires by their own good works, they are specifically to show you need a saviour.

fishy

You know, I heared tell that they was fifteen of them there commandments and they was written on rocks, well parently one of them rocks got broked and now we only got ten. But my preacher swears on the bible that those other five were all the fun ones, so we ken still do all them ones, an I sure am happy bout that. Still he ain't never tole me what them five are, he just tell me to enjoy em............an I do by golly. :biglaugh:
For the mods.........an attempt at humour.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I see a misdirect here....the commandments of Moses?...for entry into heaven?

This would not be the line drawn, as his followers thought heaven beyond reach.
Many Jews still think of heaven as beyond reach.
I've debated with some who even deny an after life.

True enough most people wanting to go to heaven practice some level of discipline, and that standard is set in relation to whatever congregation they lean to.
But how much more will be required that we remain there?

I say the standard awaits and is set by you.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
It is more than a code of behavior..it is fair warning.

It will be done unto you as you did unto others.
Make denial...and denial is yours in return.

Strike me down and my brothers will want to know who did so.
Upon your arrival my brothers will do likewise, as many times as I have brothers.

The correct focus would be...(asking for yourself)
Who is my brother...who is my fellow servant?
Who will be standing over me when I surrender my last breath?

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
No doubt a few have. But do you understand that they don't believe it exists? It's more likely that what they're actually saying is not that they don't want to go to heaven but rather that they find the idea of heaven unappealing.

Again, we're not talking about symbolism or warnings or the price of goat cheese in Afghanistan. We're talking about the purpose of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.

Isn't this what I've been saying?

Wrong. I once chose to accept Jesus as Lord but later chose to reject that belief.

So what you're saying is that now you're a robot? How can God reward you for righteous living if you're not actually the one responsible for your righteous actions?

Mostly the idea of being restricted to doing what is right didn't appeal to them.

However the purpose of the cross is not redemption of sin (which is impossible) but the redemption from sin which is salvation. Forgiveness of past sins was always available and not the primary purpose of the cross but certanly reiterated and memorialized.

No.

However you could not have rejected that belief under the Lordship of Jesus but by taking back control of your life.

I am whatever God wants me to be. I am not seeking a reward. I wish to have life. I can take up my cross and die but that isn't my first choice. So by giving up my life (by ceding control over it), I gain it (all that falls into God's definition of life).

Muffled

Jesus in me
To spread compassion is far more important than to spread believing in God as a concept.

Yes, compassive atheist should go to Jesus according to scripture:

-Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Someone who treats Jesus well will simply go to heaven.[/quote]

So there would be hope for that team leader I worked with?
In spite of his denial...I kinda like the guy.

How about those Roman soldiers that nailed the Carpenter?
How about those pious pharisees?

As many times as there are saints...shall they receive their reward?

This passage isn't about going to Heaven but about entering the Kingdom of God as indicated in this verse: Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

This happens upon the return of Jesus as also the entrance af many into Hell and other's who reject Jesus being cast into outer space: Mat 25:30 And cast ye out the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness: there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth.

Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in Jehovah, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with a garland, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

look3467

Premium Member

If you tried....could you to the letter fulfill all ten of them? Not to mention that even just the thought of desire in your mind would condemn you?

An impossibility you might say?

But what if, God Himself as a man, like us, would use His own righteousness to fulfill to the letter, the full law and the desire of the mind for all of us, wouldn't that then not make us free from it?

How about this verse: Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

You see, the only way for God to save His creation was to condemn it first via a law so strict that all came under it to die. In other words, the law condemned us all to death, spiritual death.

As the Apostle Paul stated: and as the bible commentary of Jamison, Fausset and Brown :
Rom 7:9 -
For I was alive without the law once — “In the days of my ignorance, when, in this sense, a stranger to the law, I deemed myself a righteous man, and, as such, entitled to life at the hand of God.”
but when the commandment came — forbidding all irregular desire; for the apostle sees in this the spirit of the whole law.
sin revived — “came to life”; in its malignity and strength it unexpectedly revealed itself, as if sprung from the dead.
and I died — “saw myself, in the eye of a law never kept and not to be kept, a dead man.”

Now as for your reference quote: "Do the ten commandments have any inherent moral purpose or are they just there to remind us that we can never be righteous" I say:

Yes, absolutely.......have a moral purpose. Because mankind has the ability, as gods, to rule its own life according to its wishes and desires, would without any guidance run amok to all sorts of injustices.

Thus the law to be for us a school master, to guide us against our own desires which would place us in a position out of favor and thus miss out on His blessings.

And for the second part of your quote, yes, in reminding us that without God's help we are ......simply....nothing.

Blessings, AJ

look3467

Premium Member
No they don't. They highlight the immorality of this god.

In your eyes yes!

Did you miss my post when I mentioned about the Oxymoron?

If our condemnation be glory, meaning Thank God it is so, because of our own merits, we'd be doomed.

Which, the glory of God is that He, by the administration of His own righteousness in Jesus, we don't have to merit our own.

Is that so hard to accept? I mean it was given to us as a free gift!

I mean, come on, what do you have to loose?

Blessings, AJ