• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are there deadly storms, accidents and diseases?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Or perhaps some people can't think of a better story.

And that includes Koldo and George-ananda. We in a state of illusion (maya) can see no further than our own little neck of the woods/plane/realm in the universe. And we think we can judge Creation; laughable.

Meaning the goal is of little relevancy.

And then Creation begins again...one day/night of Brahman ends.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
And that includes Koldo and George-ananda. We in a state of illusion (maya) can see no further than our own little neck of the woods/plane/realm in the universe. And we think we can judge Creation; laughable.

Oh, please.
I can think of a story with a happy beginning, happy middle, and no ending.

If you can not think of something like this then do not compare us as equals on this regard.

And then Creation begins again...one day/night of Brahman ends.

Which is exactly one of the reasons as to why i said the ending is of little relevancy to you. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This has been weighing on me heavily, and I don't want to become depressed thinking about this issue, but it does concern me. How can I reconcile this? How do you?
Why does the sun shine with blue sky, good fortune, and beneficial organisms? Nothing dominates forever unless you happen to decide it's so.
Grumble till you smile. Smile until you grumble. ;0)

George-ananda

Premium Member
Tortuous? How so?

The famous atheist Isaac Asimov in his criticism of the Abrahamic concept of heaven, explains well why there could be no greater hell than this concept of existing as an individual infinitely. There can be no challenges, nothing to learn, nothing you haven't done an infinite amount of times.etc. He explained it more eloquently than I, but you get the picture.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the first scene of the first episode of House of Cards, this dog gets hit by a car. Kevin Spacey hears it and goes out to see, and finds that the dog is whimpering in agony, grievously injured to certain death, and suffering tremendously.

He tells the camera that there are two kinds of suffering- a type that makes things stronger, and a type that is just useless suffering. Then he says he has little patience for useless suffering, and quickly strangles the dog to death.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The famous atheist Isaac Asimov in his criticism of the Abrahamic concept of heaven, explains well why there could be no greater hell than this concept of existing as an individual infinitely. There can be no challenges, nothing to learn, nothing you haven't done an infinite amount of times.etc. He explained it more eloquently than I, but you get the picture.

It is presumptuous to assume that our current perception of events must remain the same.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Don't understand how that statement is relevant here or maybe I don't understand it period.

You just might perceive these things about heaven as being bad.
But it is rather presumptuous to assume that your current perception must remain the same under such conditions.

George-ananda

Premium Member
You just might perceive these things about heaven as being bad.
But it is rather presumptuous to assume that your current perception must remain the same under such conditions.

OK, sounds like we're starting to think alike. I'm saying we can't use our current perspective to judge God's creation period.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
OK, sounds like we're starting to think alike. I'm saying we can't use our current perspective to judge God's creation period.

Depending on certain circumstances, we can.

Our perception might be different on heaven, but this does not entail that logical reasoning could be different.

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
This has been weighing on me heavily, and I don't want to become depressed thinking about this issue, but it does concern me. How can I reconcile this? How do you?

I believe that the words of one of our Sages put it most succinctly:

A Speech in Shamayim-Language
A Jew who was living in China came to European business. After his business was done, he decided to go to Radin to visit the Chafetz Chaim before embarking on his homeward journey to that faraway land. The Chafetz Chaim asked him how the Jews in China were faring, and the visitor told him that things were in a bad state; Jewish life was hanging by a tenuous thread. The Chafetz Chaim sighed and said that the situation was similar in other far-flung places around the world, where the number of Jews was small and Torah observance was being neglected. He gave his visitor a copy of sefer Nidchei Yisrael, which he had written especially for Jews who’d been carried away by Divine Providence to such far-off localities.

Then the Chafetz Chaim asked his visitor what was going on in China in general, among the non-Jews. The visitor didn't quite know what aspect of Chinese life to talk about, so the Chafetz Chaim asked, what was the last thing he had seen reported in the newspapers in China? The visitor recalled a story about the construction of a dam to stop the flow of a certain river. Tens of thousands of people had moved into agricultural settlements on the newly-dry land. But then tragedy struck: the dam burst, and with sudden force, the mighty river’s waters flooded the new settlements. Tens of thousands of Chinese people paid with their lives.

Hearing this, the Chafetz Chaim began to cry. “So the midas hadin has reached all the way to there?” he said.

The visitor, astounded, asked, “When I told the Rav about the miserable state of Yiddishkeit in China, he sighed and gave me a book, and now, when I tell him a natural disaster that killed tens of thousands of Chinese people, he cries?”

The Chafetz Chaim answered him, “Have you ever been in Warsaw?”

The visitor nodded. Yes, he had.

“How many non-Jews live there, in the Polish capital?”

The businessman named a figure of about a million.

“And how many Jews?”

“About 300,000.”

The Chafetz Chaim then asked him, “If you were to go there and stand on a soapbox in a main square, and start giving a mussar shmuess in Yiddish, who would gather around to listen?”

“The Jews, of course.”

“But they’re the minority,” the Chafetz Chaim pointed out.

“Yes,” said the businessman, “but the Poles don’t understand Yiddish!”

“I will explain the nimshal of the soapbox speech to you,” said the Chafetz Chaim. “A flood is a speech in Shamayim-language. Who understands it? Only the Jews. And the Hand of Heaven guided you here to Radin to tell me about the flood in China, in order to alert me to pay attention, like the Gemara says in Yevamos. And that is why I’m so disturbed.”

According to our Sages, natural disasters are a wake up call for Jews to be be more observant; more Holy; and more stringent in fulfilling G-d's Commandments.
It has been said that "Jews control the world."
This is not true in the sense that some people believe.
It is true in the sense that G-d controls the world and that everything that His Jewish people do, or do not do, affects the entire planet.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They're just part of nature, part of the cosmic dance. Even planets are on collision courses with other objects and galaxies smash into each other. Our galaxy - the Milky Way - is set to collide with the Andromeda Galaxy. Things get sucked into black holes. Stars die and they take whole solar systems with them. Eventually, the universe will "die".

Everything is built on conflict and strife. Even the tiny parts of us that we can't see are fighting with each other. When you're sick, your body goes to quite literal war, marshaling its little soldiers, and kills the living cells that are invading you and making you sick. The microcosm reflects the macrocosm. As Above, So Below.

Just the same, almost all living beings live off the life of other living beings. We live in an extremely violent reality full of suffering, death and decay. But without it, nothing would exist. It's just part of the universal balance and is not "good" nor "evil. It just is. It wasn't caused by "sin" or anything humans did. It existed for billions of years before even the Earth formed. We are very fragile and very small but we are universes in of ourselves and have our own potential to do with what we please. We're all on an evolutionary journey. But our species' journey is at the mercy of things presently beyond our control. So enjoy life as much as you can. Get yours.

(No, I don't believe in any omni-whatever or all-whatever creator deity. To me, "God" is manifest in the universe itself. We are mere projections in the Mind of God. Our individual minds are just smaller versions of it, projecting our own realities onto the holographic template of space/time.)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I believe that the words of one of our Sages put it most succinctly:
According to our Sages, natural disasters are a wake up call for Jews to be be more observant; more Holy; and more stringent in fulfilling G-d's Commandments.
It has been said that "Jews control the world."
This is not true in the sense that some people believe.
It is true in the sense that G-d controls the world and that everything that His Jewish people do, or do not do, affects the entire planet.

Nice extreme arrogance there. Tops the arrogance of most Satanists and that's not easy to do! Maybe we should be Jews instead!

Hawkins

Ever since Adam, we are kicked outside His kingdom. Planet earth is a place not only outside the realm of God, but also with Satan as its god.

If you want a better place, God urges you to return back to His Kingdom in Heaven. As for now, we need to pray as Jesus teaches, we pray that,

Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

We pray/wish that God will treat earth the same as His Kingdom in Heaven.

However, today's humans tend to disbelieve in Him that it's likely that they won't have both, wanting a good place while choosing to disbelieve.

Last edited:
It has very much to do with how we've abused the world. God sent us here with free will, and we have chosen to do an awful lot of taking. Fortunately, we were also imbued with Knowledge, to do something about this. The New Message from God speaks on this, through our Messenger, Marshall Vian Summers

MaxPayne

Brain User

Think about the past? Actually we are doing much better as specie nowadays.
We are able to predict storms,cyclones,volcano eruptions etc. To a certain extent we have control over diseases as well. At least we are not forced to isolate and turn our back on our dear ones when they get infected:shrug:. In the future we will be able to control a lot of things which are beyond our control now.
I won't feel bad if all of us become extinct one day, because I know life as an entity will manage to survive, and there is always that hope that another intelligent specie will come and take our place and they will appreciate the thing we have done. That thought is really fulfilling.:run:

MaxPayne

Brain User
They're just part of nature, part of the cosmic dance. Even planets are on collision courses with other objects and galaxies smash into each other. Our galaxy - the Milky Way - is set to collide with the Andromeda Galaxy.
:help:

:facepalm: Planets and stars will get enough time to gravitation-ally re align themselves. Nothing will change except that there will be a lot more stars in the night sky.A whole lot more. Ghosts are going to suffer.
The black hole merger will be a relatively high energy event, but we are outside the danger zone:run:.