• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are there deadly storms, accidents and diseases?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
This has been weighing on me heavily, and I don't want to become depressed thinking about this issue, but it does concern me. How can I reconcile this? How do you?

FranklinMichaelV.3

This has been weighing on me heavily, and I don't want to become depressed thinking about this issue, but it does concern me. How can I reconcile this? How do you?

Life happens. It's a constant competition to survive. Mans creativity and intelligence has always been trying to stay one step ahead of Nature, but nature isn't guided and so no matter how much we fight against it. Things will happen that are out of our control.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Life happens. It's a constant competition to survive. Mans creativity and intelligence has always been trying to stay one step ahead of Nature, but nature isn't guided and so no matter how much we fight against it. Things will happen that are out of our control.

What religion do you adhere to, if any?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Interesting. Worth discussing sometime I think.

Well without ascribing to christianity. I always use to wonder about stuff like disease and storms and why bad things happened to everyone and why good things happened to everyone.

I think I realized that life is just life when I was at a funeral and stepping outside and I saw people around me crying, hearts broken, and just a few blocks away I saw some kids (teens), laughing. Its amazing how when we are locked in our own little world we only see the suffering and pleasure as things that accompany each other. But to me it seems that things just happen.

My belief in God and the Teachings of Jesus stem more from that they serve for me a good moral guideline on how to treat others.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Diseases are part of life; all forms of life suffer from disease, and we're no different. Storms are just part of the Earth's weather mixing, without which there'd be stagnation and no life. Accidents, well, just part of life where things don't go according to plan, because we can't account for every single factor of life.

The Gods can only do so much against the Jotnar, and absolutely nothing against the Norns.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The bible informs us that when God created us, he gave us a beautiful safe secure environment where he himself governed. Adam and Eve were protected from the harsh elements because God was overseeing everything. They never got sick, they were never meant to grow old and die. And their children would have lived in that sort of world had they remained with God.

But when they left the comfort of Gods care for an independent life, they were in effect taking all that responsibility on themselves. Obviously it is beyond mans ability to control nature because we did not create nature, God did. And only God can control it.

It is comforting to know that God will bring nature back into his control...along with all who wish to benefit from his caring provisions.
Btw, that is the theme of the bible.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Why would this depress you? Think about it logically, there is no reason for you to be depressed over such natural things. Deadly storms, accidents, diseases, they are all just the outcome of us living in reality. Not some fantasy world, not some magical perfect garden, just an uncaring and unaware universe.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Why would this depress you? Think about it logically, there is no reason for you to be depressed over such natural things. Deadly storms, accidents, diseases, they are all just the outcome of us living in reality. Not some fantasy world, not some magical perfect garden, just an uncaring and unaware universe.

I don't want to walk around thinking of all the bad things that could happen. I already ruminate too much. I wonder if because people keep doing dumb things, like moving where disasters happen and don't move after one happens, is the reason for the senseless deaths. Maybe helping to reduce global warming will help.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
With a belief in a loving God.
Try to imagine a world in which human beings can jump from cloud to cloud, build castles on cloud islands, ride unicorns, and eat glowing life prolonging fruits, as they spend their day dancing and singing in unity to praise all creation.
Right. It does not make sense. I think people have unrealistic and fantastic expectations about God and the universe. In other words people want God to be what they want God to be. They want a safe life, prosperous life, without physical or mental challenges, where everything is easy and there are no threats.
If God exists, there is nothing in the literature of world religions which indicates that this is the nature of God. Life is suffering. Any religion which tries to tell a different story about an alternate realm sells you something. I don't believe God is 'almighty', 'all-good'. If anything nature reflects God. As for love, love becomes more powerful when it needs to prove itself, and to fight for loved ones. What kind of love gets to exist unchallenged and in ideal conditions?
It's better to appreciate nature for what it is, instead of feeling depressed because its not what we want it to be.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
How can I reconcile this?
Reconcile it with what?
With a belief in a loving God.
Perhaps there is no God.
Perhaps it is not 'loving.'
Perhaps it is limited.​
We often take walks at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It is a beautiful venue thanks to the persistent love and care provided by its horticulturalists and ground-keepers -- and yet there is turmoil, death, and decay in every square inch of land.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Try to imagine a world in which human beings can jump from cloud to cloud, build castles on cloud islands, ride unicorns, and eat glowing life prolonging fruits, as they spend their day dancing and singing in unity to praise all creation.
Right. It does not make sense. I think people have unrealistic and fantastic expectations about God and the universe. In other words people want God to be what they want God to be. They want a safe life, prosperous life, without physical or mental challenges, where everything is easy and there are no threats.
If God exists, there is nothing in the literature of world religions which indicates that this is the nature of God. Life is suffering. Any religion which tries to tell a different story about an alternate realm sells you something. I don't believe God is 'almighty', 'all-good'. If anything nature reflects God. As for love, love becomes more powerful when it needs to prove itself, and to fight for loved ones. What kind of love gets to exist unchallenged and in ideal conditions?
It's better to appreciate nature for what it is, instead of feeling depressed because its not what we want it to be.

Wow, you actually made a great point, although the thought of dancing all the time does sound wonderful. Can you expand on the "nature reflects God" comment? I am starting to be interested in this part of it.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Perhaps there is no God.
Perhaps it is not 'loving.'
Perhaps it is limited.​
We often take walks at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It is a beautiful venue thanks to the persistent love and care provided by its horticulturalists and ground-keepers -- and yet there is turmoil, death, and decay in every square inch of land.

:clap

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Can you expand on the "nature reflects God" comment? I am starting to be interested in this part of it.
Well, it's simple. Perhaps the fact that nature is full of contradictions. Joy and pain, compassion and cruelty, forces of nature, volcanic activity, thunderstorms, etc. means that it is unrealistic to expect a divine being/reality behind nature to be fashioned after our own ideals of goodness, beauty, or safety.
Personally I'm not a big believer in God, but judging by nature, by the daily struggle for survival of countless of species, by the scorching heat of the desert, black holes, supernovas, I would think that a God behind such phenomena is much less preoccupied with our wishes and needs for comfort and ever-happy life.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, it's simple. Perhaps the fact that nature is full of contradictions. Joy and pain, compassion and cruelty, forces of nature, volcanic activity, thunderstorms, etc. means that it is unrealistic to expect a divine being/reality behind nature to be fashioned after our own ideals of goodness, beauty, or safety.
Personally I'm not a big believer in God, but judging by nature, by the daily struggle for survival of countless of species, by the scorching heat of the desert, black holes, supernovas, I would think that a God behind such phenomena is much less preoccupied with our wishes and needs for comfort and ever-happy life.

I totally get it. Thanks!

chinu

chinu
Why are there deadly storms, accidents and diseases?
Like.. a mother who warned her son to return back home soon from the fair festival in the town because misadventure and accidents use to happen there.
Similarly.. God warned his son(Soul) to return back home soon from this fairy world because deadly storms, accidents, and diseases happen here.

And if you don't think that you have forgot any such warning given by God ?
Than just start try to remember it from now onwards. :)