• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Swedes Healthier than Americans?

Peacewise

When one is working and has more money, one has less time for oneself, and so one spends the earnings on prepared food, to save a bit of time in one's day, because preparing food is often seen as a chore. Now since the majority of food that is prepared is takeaway food, or of that standard, it is relatively high in fat, salt and sugar, because those are the most tasty food stuffs and also the cheapest both to make and to store and indeed transport, so the food industry being based upon economic growth is fiscally required to maximise profits by focusing more upon those products high in fat, salt and sugar. Paradoxically we know that these foods are junk, and that their benefit to us is in saved time and gaudy packaging, so these foods that have the lowest nutritional value also have the highest cost, due to the extreme measures used to induce us to eat such crap.

Flip side is that those who are poor have more time because they are not working as much, and they are therefore more likely to prepare their own foods from fresh food stuffs, which are actually cheaper at the retail level because they do not require advertising campaigns or packaging, so the money one spends whilst poor is more upon the food, rather than the marketing of the prepared takeaway. Then since the fresh food stuffs are higher in nutrients and lower in calories they are healthier and so those that eat them are healthier. Further if one has more time, then one has more time to eat as well and hence is more likely to eat mindfully, rather than the gorge that takeaway induces.

or so it seems to me.

Last edited:

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Interesting! I would guess it's multifactorial.

Where I am, the junk is often cheaper than fresh produce, which stinks.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Why are Swedes healthier than Americans?
Could the gap between rich and poor have anything to do with it?
Certainly sounds possible. I found this paragraph interesting,"The biological explanation for this is uncertain, but possibly mediated by the hormonal effects of perpetual anxiety about status and position, or loss of them. Economics affects health but not always as you might expect."

I haven't thought much about people having anxiety due to the disparity between the classes in the US. I can imagine in an more egalitarian society those hormonal effects would be less. Interesting and food for thought!

Mr Cheese

swedes do less...

I mean all they do is yodel, make chocolate and watches

oh and hae secret banking systems

healthcare and all the above factors would be something though
I believe they actually pay a woman to breast feed in sweden....and well breast feeding is linked to health and intelligence

anyone care to help increase my health?

Walkntune

Because they can all afford healthcare.
When inflation hits (because the rich are not paying for healthcare) and the price of living goes up, especially healthy foods, they will need healthcare and food and drug administration and such will receive from both ends.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

swede.jpg

Because they thrive in a well manured environment.