• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are So Many Cops Dumb?

Sargonski

Simple.

They’re not dumb.
Most are young and learning about life like the rest of us.

We all make mistakes.

No .. their Dumb .. even dumber than "The rest of us" which are really dumb .. Simple Right ... and while we all make mistakes .. dumb moron's make far more mistakes than others .. which is what makes them morons .. Simple Right :)

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
I recall the IQ issue from a while ago, but recently ran across this article....
Excerpted....

Jordan sued for discrimination but to no avail. Here's what a federal court ruled:

Too smart for police work, "Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test."

@Wu Wei might find it fascinating that even a lowly engineer
would be rejected as too smart to be a cop. An interesting
aspect of the average 104 IQ claim is that this means that
nearly half of cops are below average (100 IQ).
So we're giving a couple hundred thousand below average
intelligence people a gun & a license to kill to civilians.
And this after training that's less than what's required
to be a mechanic, real estate agent, or cosmetologist.
Ref....
What kind of IQ test is this? What is it testing for? General intelligence? If so one might score low in certain areas while extremely high in others which would put the overall score somewhere in between those extremes. So we should ask which intelligences are more important in police work than others.
For instance...in police work I would think a high emotional and interpersonal intelligence rating would eclipse the importance of a high mathematical, musical, or general knowledge IQ.
Police should have (as a core base) highly stable emotional intelligence and be good at interpersonal relationship ability with specific knowledge of the laws they are meant to enforce. Simply saying someone has a high IQ or low IQ does little to help one determine how well they can or cannot do their jobs. One must have more information on the specifics on the areas of intelligence the person excels in.
One only needs to peruse the literature to learn about the myriads of extremely high IQ individuals out there who have failed miserably as decent and productive human beings.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The real problem, I think, is not that applicants with a high IQ are rejected, it's that applicants with a low IQ are accepted.
Superior Officer: Jones, you haven't accepted any applicants this week.
Recruitment Officer Jones: Sorry Sarge, they were all either too smart or too dumb.

I know you didn't mean that, but it's what popped into my mind.

A cop should at least have the ability to contemplate the repercussions of their actions.

An intelligent psychopath is likely to do harm more intelligently then a dumb psychopath. Something I've thought as I've gone through this thread (not at the end yet) is that I would rank empathy higher than intelligence in a Police Officer. Not to say it doesn't get considered somewhere.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well except that is self-perpetuating in that the higher authorities are drawn from within the ranks until you get to those with political authority which is another can of worms.
The stupidity isn't just a problem of denying
employment to intelligent applicants. There's
an aggressive ignorance, ie, the lack of initial
training & continuing training in important
facets of the job, eg, civil rights, laws they're
charged to enforce, departmental rules,
dealing with neuro-atypical people, handling
medical crises.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What kind of IQ test is this? What is it testing for? General intelligence? If so one might score low in certain areas while extremely high in others which would put the overall score somewhere in between those extremes. So we should ask which intelligences are more important in police work than others.
For instance...in police work I would think a high emotional and interpersonal intelligence rating would eclipse the importance of a high mathematical, musical, or general knowledge IQ.
Police should have (as a core base) highly stable emotional intelligence and be good at interpersonal relationship ability with specific knowledge of the laws they are meant to enforce. Simply saying someone has a high IQ or low IQ does little to help one determine how well they can or cannot do their jobs. One must have more information on the specifics on the areas of intelligence the person excels in.
One only needs to peruse the literature to learn about the myriads of extremely high IQ individuals out there who have failed miserably as decent and productive human beings.
I've not investigated the tests because the problem
isn't how it's measured....it's that being above average
intelligence subjects candidates to discrimination.
No matter how accurate the test, it's fundamentally
bad for society to have this policy.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Did you hear the legal analysis of this interaction?
Using a broad definition of "dumb", rather than IQ,
it's obvious to even most civilians cops it's illegal
to order someone to leave town. So either the
cop is dumb for not knowing this constitutional
liberty, or he's dumb for giving an illegal order.

This happened to me a long long time ago, in London. I was waiting outside a night club for a friend. He was late or I was early, so I'd been there for a while. I was not obstructing the pavement (sidewalk). A young police officer approached me.

Cop: Move on.
Me: I'm waiting for a friend and we agreed to meet here.
Me: If I move I'm just going to walk up and down. Does it really make any difference if I do that?
Cop: Yes.

I wanted to ask the next obvious question, what difference does it make, but decided that he'd probably just say "move on" again, so I moved and came back when he had gone. He was very young and this might have been his first day on the job, so I assumed he had just been sent out to "move people on" without being told why.

I still wonder if he had the authority to make me move.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This happened to me a long long time ago, in London. I was waiting outside a night club for a friend. He was late or I was early, so I'd been there for a while. I was not obstructing the pavement (sidewalk). A young police officer approached me.

Me: If I move I'm just going to walk up and down. Does it really make any difference if I do that?

I wanted to ask the next obvious question, what difference does it make, but decided that he'd probably just say "move on" again, so I moved and came back when he had gone. He was very young and this might have been his first day on the job, so I assumed he had just been sent out to "move people on" without being told why.

I don't know what rights you'd have in England.
In USA, your actions would be legal, & wouldn't
satisfy either trespass or loitering.
Of course, cops here often don't know or care
what the law says. They'd give the same order
or arrest you for it anyway.
Just sitting or standing somewhere while waiting
offends them greatly. Moreover, it was only
recently that a court ruled that avoiding the
cops wasn't grounds for detainment or arrest.

Pogo

Or the authority to brain you for disobeying him, best do what you did.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I believe that recently in the UK the phrase "no comment" was given as a legal alternative to silence. I can't find that reference, but here's some advice from a lawyer on when to use it. Note that in all cases they advise that is you are subject to a police interrogation you should engage a lawyer (solicitor) before the interview begins. Note that in some cases silence (or "no comment") can be used against you in court.

Anyway, here's why I think it's a good innovation. We tend to feel uncomfortable not answering questions and complete silence when someone talks to you is considered rude. "No comment" gives you something to say that is legally recognized as being the equivalent of silence.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Eh I think most cops hired today are intelligent enough. What you lookin for? A whole patrol of Einsteins?

It's a little known fact that Albert Einstein spent a short time as a cop.

At the recruitment interview he was asked about his education, to which he stated that he was a High School drop out. He was immediately accepted. It all went wrong a bit later ....

Police Sergeant: Einstein, you've been checking traffic all day and haven't given out any tickets, what's wrong?
Einstein: Well, I got to thinking. The speed limit is 50. But it seems to me that it's all relative. From my point of view at the side of the road someone might be doing 60, but from the point of view of someone in a car going in the opposite direction at 50, he's doing 110. And if I chase him in my patrol car, as I come up behind him and match his speed, he's stationary, so I can't reasonably give him a ticket.
Sergeant: Einstein, are you sure you are cut out for police work?
Einstein: Maybe not ...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Let me explain how IQ tests work. You can take an IQ test at any time in your life, and it will be accurate because the test answers don't test "book smartness."

setarcos

I've not investigated the tests because the problem
isn't how it's measured
That was my point. The problem may not be how "whatever" is measured. The problem may be what is being measured. Intelligence tests are only relatively recently recognizing and attempting to quantify different "types" of intelligences in people. My guess is the article is referring to a institution that is lagging behind such recognition. Perhaps being exceptionally gifted in the kinds of intelligence they are testing for actually isn't necessarily a good fit for police work when other more important types of intelligence are sub par.
An exceptionally high general IQ may translate into an exceptionally high intolerance for the kinds of ignorance and emotional instability police officers are exposed to in the general population on a constant daily basis. That intolerance may translate into under appreciating the humanity of those they have to interact with. A mathematical or logical genius may not be the best fit for general policing.
it's that being above average
intelligence subjects candidates to discrimination.
Perhaps so, but all else being equal, no more so than those who have average or below average intelligence are subject to discrimination against being able to do certain jobs when one takes into consideration what qualifications best fit the candidates success at doing those jobs.
No matter how accurate the test, it's fundamentally
bad for society to have this policy.
I would say its fundamentally bad for society to place people -no matter how high they scored on an IQ test - into jobs which require a certain amount of empathy or sympathetic discernment if those people score high on the psychopathic scale.
General IQ tests don't do a very good job of determining psychopathic tendencies.
The policy may be bad but I think we may be misdirected in what is actually bad about the policy and that's not a good step into fixing it for sure.

setarcos

Let me explain how IQ tests work. You can take an IQ test at any time in your life, and it will be accurate because the test answers don't test "book smartness."
What do you mean by book smartness? General knowledge?

Kathryn

And what is this assessment based on?
I'd rather not say. OK, I will say. Years and years of taking IQ tests, which, regardless of the year I took it, always came up with the same IQ score whether I was five or fifteen or twenty five.

Kathryn

What do you mean by book smartness? General knowledge?
Book smarts. How well read a person is, for example. They veer much more to problem solving.

The weird thing is, every single year of my life, I was invited to some sort of camp for math and science people. I am not a math or science type of person, though I tend to do fine on those types of tests. But I am definitely a word person over a math person. Not a single question ever had anything to do with how well read I was.

setarcos

Couple of considerations.
1) you don't know what is motivating the cops actions. (Perhaps the cop is aware of impending danger or other police actions which you would be impeding)
2) The cop don't know if your simply lying in order to continue loitering when loitering is perhaps not a good thing at the time given certain knowledge the cop may have, see above.
Or....3) the cop may simply be on a power trip or you may have inadvertently annoyed the cop somehow. Either way wrong place to be at the time for you, in which case you have to weigh your options for the most successful returns you are willing to accept.
Stand your ground, pay the potential adverse effects of doing so then spend your precious time fighting the charges in court or do what the cop says - within reason and ability - swallow your pride, annoyance etc., still ultimately complete your mission of meeting your friend and move on with your life.
Such are the prices we pay for living in an imperfect state.

Kathryn

That is perfectly fine. But since your assessment differs significantly from what qualified experts say I am just going to dismiss it. And I recommend others do likewise.
But I did say, as a person who has taken many, many IQ tests throughout the years, with the results being basically the same regardless of whether I took the test at five, or fifteen, or twenty five. As I also said.