• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are COVID number messed up?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Why are your posts always so ridiculously cryptic?

Because you can think for yourself. You can learn to check your own thinking and ask question that check your own thinking. Now in the beginning you ask others, like you ask me and I answered. Learn to check your own thinking.
What is the most reliable way to check the effect of COVID-19 as when it comes to deaths?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What parts of the world are you referring to? New Zealand is a tiny island, so it's not a comparable example. Europe is still seeing thousands of new cases a day, and we all know China's numbers are most likely made up.

There are parts of Europe, who have done it. And in effect the USA is not that different than New Zealand.

Rational Agnostic

Because you can think for yourself. You can learn to check your own thinking and ask question that check your own thinking. Now in the beginning you ask others, like you ask me and I answered. Learn to check your own thinking.
What is the most reliable way to check the effect of COVID-19 as when it comes to deaths?

Well, comparing total deaths to previous years is a useful thing to do. But it doesn't tell the whole story--for instance, many deaths could be heart attacks or strokes that could have been survived but were not treated because people were afraid of seeking emergency treatment in the hospital due to their fear of COVID.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well, comparing total deaths to previous years is a useful thing to do. But it doesn't tell the whole story--for instance, many deaths could be heart attacks or strokes that could have been survived but were not treated because people were afraid of seeking emergency treatment in the hospital due to their fear of COVID.

Yes, that is a part of it. That is caused in part by COVID-19.

QuestioningMind

Well, to be fair, it was most commonly the liberals who were deluded enough to think a 30 day lockdown would somehow squelch the virus. While I'm in favor of taking precautions like mask wearing and avoiding crowds, I also believe putting the entire world under house arrest is absolutely ridiculous. And, if we put this pandemic in historical context, it's actually very minor. Smallpox was highly contagious, with a 30% mortality rate that caused horrible scarring in people who survived. When smallpox existed, people dealt with it and managed it as well as they could, but they didn't tell healthy people to never leave their homes. That's asinine. They quarantined and isolated people who were known to have it, and encouraged people to exercise precautions whenever they could. In any other historical era, COVID would go basically unnoticed because of how much worse the other viral diseases were.

Except that a 30 day lock down WOULD have gone a long ways towards getting to virus under control, IF the administration had done what other countries did and spent the lock down period ramping up testing and ensuring that their populations understood the potential dangers, instead we had a president who called the entire thing a hoax and specifically ordered that we SLOW DOWN testing... just so HE wouldn't look bad.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Except that a 30 day lock down WOULD have gone a long ways towards getting to virus under control, IF the administration had done what other countries did and spent the lock down period ramping up testing and ensuring that their populations understood the potential dangers, instead we had a president who called the entire thing a hoax and specifically ordered that we SLOW DOWN testing... just so HE wouldn't look bad.
As long as there is no cure, consider it as an indefinite lockdown*.

*At least until the election, because the left wants to make Trump look sooo bad.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Know of any places that opened up yet without covid infections going back up?

Do you always look at the world binary? Total lock down and fully open and nothing in between.
If you look at the in between, then yes. It has worked. South Korea has done it. Other parts of the world have done it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

QuestioningMind

As long as there is no cure, consider it as an indefinite lockdown*.

*At least until the election, because the left wants to make Trump look sooo bad.

Really? Amazing how other countries who did what they were supposed to during lock down have managed to basically return to normal, even though there's no cure. Is this just another case where you think Americans just aren't as capable as people in other nations?

Rational Agnostic

Really? Amazing how other countries who did what they were supposed to during lock down have managed to basically return to normal, even though there's no cure. Is this just another case where you think Americans just aren't as capable as people in other nations?

Are you referring to Europe? If so, then the facts disagree with you. Europe is not doing any better than the US in terms of COVID deaths. See:

Coronavirus Graphs: Worldwide Cases and Deaths - Worldometer

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

So basically (as I thought), anything related to COVID regardless of how the person actually died would be a case. Now wonder why there are so many "cases" of deaths. Maybe it helps the public know where they stand in life and death and hoping scientist have control over the information of every other person's individual survival.