• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are Christian Churches Losing Men?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
This has been a popular concern for the last few years, and usually the answer I hear is because of the feminization of the church. After reading some articles on what people deem as feminization, I reject this reason. I think it's possibly due to the rise of evangelical atheism or verbal attacks on Christianity - saying things like it's a fairy tale belief for the easily deluded. I suggest this offends men's sense of worth more than women's and may drive them away.

But I really have no idea. Thoughts?

waitasec

Veteran Member
This has been a popular concern for the last few years, and usually the answer I hear is because of the feminization of the church. After reading some articles on what people deem as feminization, I reject this reason. I think it's possibly due to the rise of evangelical atheism or verbal attacks on Christianity - saying things like it's a fairy tale belief for the easily deluded. I suggest this offends men's sense of worth more than women's and may drive them away.

that is very interesting.
from what i gather, since i'm not a man, men are to be strong and brave.
not my man...he's afraid of spiders :yes:
but then again my man ain't from these here parts...he's a viking of all things!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I have no idea why men are leaving churches -- except that I have heard men are less likely to attend church than are women in almost all societies on earth. In other words, it's not just an American problem. If that's the case, then any explanation for why men attend church less frequently than women might need to apply to societies as diverse as Russia, Italy, and the US.

Last edited:

Songbird

I have no idea why men are leaving churches -- except that I have heard men are less likely to attend church than are women in almost all societies on earth. In other words, it's not just an American problem. If that's the case, then any explanation for why men attend church less frequently than women might need to apply to societies as diverse as Russia, Italy, and the US.

It certainly is a global trend, and though women have participated in churches more than men for years, recently men are leaving more quickly - prompting all sorts of theories.

And among major religions, Christianity is unique in that manner. Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism all have more equal participation or have more men than women. From Why Men Hate Church -- CBN.com Spiritual Life

Songbird

that is very interesting.
from what i gather, since i'm not a man, men are to be strong and brave.
not my man...he's afraid of spiders :yes:
but then again my man ain't from these here parts...he's a viking of all things!

Ha. :D

strikeviperMKII

Men don't share spirituality very well...most don't, at least. They are not taught how to do it generally, more just expected to either do it on their own time, or not to need it at all. Religion, at its core, is this spirituality. It makes us look at things very deeply, if done correctly. This goes against the natural tendency of the male energy. Female energy promotes talking and working through issues, rather than just pushing them aside. Religion tells us to work through these things very close to our souls, even in its diluted form that exists today. Many men don't want to spend the time, don't think they need to, or are too afraid to look deeper...so they leave the church. What are even worse, I think (and this applies to both genders) are the people who stay in the church but refuse to partake in the spiritual awakening that should be taking place. It perpetuates the cycle, and destructive one at that.

A

angellous_evangellous

They view church as a waste of time.

That's why I don't want to go.

I mean - do we really need it EVERY Sunday.... or once a month.... or less.

strikeviperMKII

I mean - do we really need it EVERY Sunday.... or once a month.... or less.

Do you?

I asked myself that a few times. The first, I said you didn't need to go at all. The second, I told myself I had an obligation because I was an usher. The third, I had another obligation because I was playing music. The fourth...I'm still working on that one.

Still, it should be simple. If yes, then go. If no, then don't go. It's what those answers mean...of what we think they mean that get us in trouble.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Men don't share spirituality very well...most don't, at least. They are not taught how to do it generally, more just expected to either do it on their own time, or not to need it at all. Religion, at its core, is this spirituality. It makes us look at things very deeply, if done correctly. This goes against the natural tendency of the male energy. Female energy promotes talking and working through issues, rather than just pushing them aside. Religion tells us to work through these things very close to our souls, even in its diluted form that exists today. Many men don't want to spend the time, don't think they need to, or are too afraid to look deeper...so they leave the church. What are even worse, I think (and this applies to both genders) are the people who stay in the church but refuse to partake in the spiritual awakening that should be taking place. It perpetuates the cycle, and destructive one at that.
I think you mean, christian men don't share spirituality very well.

Songbird

But why are more men than women suddenly leaving? The factors mentioned so far seem to be constants over time, not recent developments.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I believe this is your answer. For most men work and family become priorties in there adult life. They simply don't have time for church. What happens is their woman force them to go. Although there are more woman in the church there are far less woman than there were 5, 10 and 20 years ago. Men simply are no longer being forced to go to church.

As an example I am atheist agnostic and I attend church everyweek because my wife wants me to go.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
That's gotta be lovely for you.

Actually its fine. :)

I just wanted to add something. My mom would always ride Me and my brothers and sister to go to church much as my grandmother would ride her sons.

So for every woman lost you would lose every potential son.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Less men are going to church because there's less pressure for them to do so, by women and society. Generally speaking, men need to be forced to do things like attend church. If nobody's making us go, we'll generally find something else to do.

Songbird

Less men are going to church because there's less pressure for them to do so, by women and society. Generally speaking, men need to be forced to do things like attend church. If nobody's making us go, we'll generally find something else to do.

Interesting in light of a study that said fathers influence their children's church attendance in adulthood far more than mothers. So maybe women used to care more about their menfolk attending church with them, which in turn influenced the kids?

Touchstone Archives: The Truth About Men & Church