• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are “some atheists” so intolerant of religious believers?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

For me, I'm only intolerant of intolerant beliefs.
Religious beliefs per say don't bother me. Intolerant beliefs bother me immensly.

Beliefs that demonize being gay.
Beliefs that condone, or worse: encourage, things like slavery or apartheid.
Beliefs that demonize the scientific enterprise - arguably the best accomplishment of human kind ever.

I have zero respect for such beliefs and am of the opinion that they have no place in 21st century civilization. To me, they are on par with full blown racism, facism, etc. Without wanting to go all Godwin on this one... to me such beliefs are just as unacceptable as nazi ideology.

Such beliefs don't deserve respect.
They only deserve ridicule and nobody should let it pass unchallenged.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I identified him as an atheist because it was important to the context of the OP, which was about that forum which it is primarily an atheist forum which pretends to be a forum for believers, ex-believers and nonbelievers but it is inhospitable for believers of any kind, particularly for believers of the Baha’i Faith.
It seems odd to me that a nontheist would single out Bahai, of all faiths.
It's among the most innocuous. I see it as a sort of reformed Islam, eliminating many of the most primitive elements and improving the ethics and world view by incorporating more sophisticated modern views.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I didn't say it was ideal. Or even close.

It's still a religion based on the opinions of primitive people, nearly all dudes. I am confident that it has nothing to do with God or anything divine or whatever. It's just better than most.
Tom

ETA ~I cannot imagine Bahai creating a group like the Conquistadors, ISIS, KKK, or Boko Haram. But, obviously, other primitive Abrahamic religionists can do it. ~

ManSinha

It's still a religion based on the opinions of primitive people, nearly all dudes. I am confident that it has nothing to do with God or anything divine or whatever. It's just better than most.

Well - to each their own opinion - you find it better than most - I do not

IMHO - the dharmic faiths have a lot more to offer without purporting to lay down laws - the study can be fascinating -

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not if you don't recognize it. If they claim to be atheists and you take that claim on face value then you won't be attacking their religious beliefs.
I do not want to attack anything they believe.
Check your wording right here. You did not write "I only dislike certain behaviors of dishonest Marxists claiming to be atheists..." You specifically wrote "I only dislike certain behaviors of certain atheists ..." You clearly have misdirected feelings against atheists because you have been fooled.
This has nothing to do with atheists. The same behaviors could be seen in a believer. It just happened to be an atheist, but I once had a similar issue with a Christian forum owner.
That's my point. They weren't atheists. They were Marxists of a competing religion. You should have fought back against their Global Warming faith that they will not easily reveal lest they leave themselves vulnerable to attack.
I couldn’t do that because I also believe in Global warming.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are good people and bad people....irrespective of religious beliefs. Whether it can be considered fair or not, if that moderator owns the blog, he can do whatever he wishes within the confines of the law. If he displays an obvious lack of fairness, however, he will lose a lot of people who could have contributed to the conversation.
That’s all true. He owns the forum so he can do whatever he wants to do.

It is a very small tight knit group of posters, and it has not changed much over the years. I only see one new regular poster who has joined that group in five years. You either fit in or you don’t, kind of like a clique. I tried to fit in, probably because I needed a place to fit in, but I was never accepted by the staff, only tolerated at best. Other posters liked me but that does not help when the forum owner does not like you. It is kind of like having a bad boss at work despite nice coworkers.

People stop by but most do not stay very long. Believers are usually chased off by insulting remarks that are made about belief or accusations of proselytizing. Several atheists who used to post there have left because they do not like the over moderation. I had gotten to know them there so when they left I invited them to my forum. They gave me the same guff mist atheists give me about God and my beliefs, but eventually we came to understand each other and we became friends.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@Trailblazer

Let me tell you a story I read (presumably as part of the Jataka Tales) a long time ago

There were two (male) monks of a celibate order where they did not have any association of any kind with women
They were walking in the forest and came upon the bank of a river that was rising
On its shore was a woman weeping because her ill father was dying in his hut on the other side
She begged for their help in crossing the river

The second monk said - "I am not permitted to have any contact with women and so I cannot help you"
The first monk quietly hoisted her on his back and carried her over to where the grateful lady said goodbye and went her way

Several hours later the second monk asked the first how he could carry a woman on his back given the rules of the order

The first replied. - I carried her for a short time; it would appear that you are still carrying her
Thanks, that is a beautiful story and it goes straight to the point. What I like so much about this forum is that I am always stimulated to be thinking.

In the past, I carried hurts a lot longer than I do now. Now I carry the hurt for a short time and then I forget about it and move along my way. I live fully in the present, not in the past or the future.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You seem to give an impression of a victim and the victim mentality. I have no doubt you are hurt, but I see no good reason you'd post your bad experience of a particular forum on the debate section, unless you're looking to defend your victimised mentality. Perhaps because you were hurt by someone who is an atheist, you'd want to get some sort of vendetta by converting other atheists to your cause and argue against them all the while blaming atheism in some way.
Maybe I posted the OP in the wrong section, as I was not looking for a debate.

If you read the OP who might think it sounds as if I felt hurt, but that was not the purpose of posting what I did. I wanted feedback from other atheists and believers.I have no cause and I take no issue with atheism. I only take issue with people who are unfair and unjust. They could be a believer or an atheist.

I have no victim mentality because I am nobody’s victim. I am just a person standing up for justice and equity, because these are the most important principles of my religion. Sure I felt a little hurt right after it happened, because I was misrepresented and insulted by someone I thought wanted me on his forum, because he was the one who invited me back after I had left for a year. But obviously he only wanted me there if he could control what I posted.

It was my mistake to think it would be any different than it has been in the past, but that is just the way I am, always looking for new possibilities. I am an incurable optimist. I once let a tenant get behind $11,000 on his rent, trusting he would eventually pay me back... Everyone thought I was a fool, but he finally did pay me almost all of that money and now he keeps up on the rent every month. He is still living in my house and we are on very amiable terms. He still has some rent debt, but I trust he will pay it back eventually. My point is that I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt but when I do and they stab me in the back that hurts.
If you really wanted closure or healing, I'd think a good thing to do is stop going on forums, speak to loved ones or speak on sections here more devoted to supporting others.
I have spoken about it with friends and family. I did not even think of posting this in a section devoted to supporting others because I did not know there was such a section. But this is not primarily about me being hurt, so it is not about closure and healing. It is about religious discrimination, justice and equity, or doesn’t that matter to anyone?
This does not seem to be the case. You seem to blame those that have harmed you, but there's no way we can examine their side or if you really did the things they said. In my experience, it's never a good idea to side with one person over another without at least hearing their side first. Even then, sometimes it's best to stay neutral. This lack of evidence has been expressed by others in this thread as well.
This is not a jury trial. This is not about blaming the other side, so I don’t know why some people want to make it be about me vs. him. I very much dislike having bad feelings towards anyone,so a week after I left that forum I posted a private message to him trying to explain my position, because I did not want him to think I feel badly about him.

It is an important teaching of my religion to beware lest we offend the feelings of anyone, or sadden the heart of any person. However, kindness must be tempered by justice. The fact remains he did do what he did and I did not do what he accused me of doing, and I have evidence in the posts that I posted.

This is about injustice and religious discrimination. Perhaps what I should have done is present it that way without mentioning the forum or its owner. Perhaps I should have posted it in another section, but now that we are here let’s try to make the best of it......
So what exactly is your goal if you aren't generalising and want answers from atheists?
I brought up some points and in my OP in an effort to understand how atheists might think and feel. Now let me restate my points as questions.
  • I wonder why people think and do what they think and do. Can you think of any reason why atheists are hostile towards believers other than that they feel threatened in some way?
  • Why would atheists act out that way unless they are afraid of what I have to say about God or my religion?
  • Why can’t “some atheists” be friends with believers, as opposed to only telling them they are wrong about what they believe and even brainwashed? Why do you think that atheists are compelled to keep telling me I am wrong about what I believe?I do not tell atheists they are wrong about what they disbelieve. I have been noted for saying that atheism is just as logical as belief, given there is no proof that God exists. But there is no proof that God does not exist, so belief is just as logical. There are reasons to think that God does not exist and reasons to think that God exists.
  • Why do you think “some atheists” become hostile and even insulting when I say I believe in God, a soul and an afterlife? It seems to me that if atheists are so sure these do not exist they would be able to just blow me off instead of getting antagonistic. I would not get angry if someone who talked about a pink unicorn in my garage because I know there is no pink unicorn in my garage.
  • Along these lines, I do not think it is not right for a believer to threaten an atheist with hell, but if they did, why would an atheist get upset about that if they are so sure there is no hell?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You didn’t just identify him alone though, you specifically asked about “some atheists”. You’ve still not established why it is legitimate to extend his individual behaviour on to anyone else on the basis of his beliefs but not on the basis of any other characteristic he might have. You’re explicitly (if unintentionally) associating the bad behaviour with atheism rather than the simple if boring fact that some people just aren’t very nice.
None of what I posted in my OP was about nice vs. mean atheists, and it is not about the bad behavior of atheists. It was about religious discrimination and injustice perpetrated by one atheist forum owner who accused me of having thoughts and feelings I did not have and intent I did not have, and also accused me of posting what I did not post, as I proved to him by doing a search for all my posts. Still, even after I produced the evidence, he could not admit he was wrong. He just said it was good that I was looking any “my behavior.” I was looking at my behavior because I knew I had not done what he accused me of but I wanted to find the actual proof.

This is unrelated to belief vs. atheism. A Baha’i and a Christian on that forum also say inappropriate things to me, posting things about me that are not true. So I could just as easily be writing about “some Christians” or “some Baha’is” who had inappropriate behavior. I just happened to be writing about a particular experience that I had just gone through.

There are other atheists besides the forum owner who are hostile towards my religious beliefs and thus me, but I do not really mind, because they are not “ruling” over the forum and trying to control me by putting me on moderation. I have had enough of that and there is no reason to tolerate it anymore. It is not a marriage I am committed to, it is just a forum.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

For me, I'm only intolerant of intolerant beliefs.
Religious beliefs per say don't bother me. Intolerant beliefs bother me immensly.

Beliefs that demonize being gay.
Beliefs that condone, or worse: encourage, things like slavery or apartheid.
Beliefs that demonize the scientific enterprise - arguably the best accomplishment of human kind ever.
I have zero respect for such beliefs and am of the opinion that they have no place in 21st century civilization. To me, they are on par with full blown racism, facism, etc. Without wanting to go all Godwin on this one... to me such beliefs are just as unacceptable as nazi ideology.

Such beliefs don't deserve respect.
They only deserve ridicule and nobody should let it pass unchallenged.
I am the same way. I have no problem with any religious beliefs unless they are intolerant of other believers or of nonbelievers.

There are certain beliefs that have no place in 21st century civilization but as long as religious believers cling to older religions and their scriptures, these beliefs will not go away completely.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It seems odd to me that a nontheist would single out Bahai, of all faiths.
It's among the most innocuous. I see it as a sort of reformed Islam, eliminating many of the most primitive elements and improving the ethics and world view by incorporating more sophisticated modern views.
Tom
Thanks Tom. That is kind of what it is; although it is more than reformed Islam it is closer to Islam than it is to any other religion.

I think the reason they single out Baha’i is because they cannot knock it down as easily as Christianity and other older religions. That makes them mad. :mad:

charlie sc

Maybe I posted the OP in the wrong section, as I was not looking for a debate.

If you read the OP who might think it sounds as if I felt hurt, but that was not the purpose of posting what I did. I wanted feedback from other atheists and believers.I have no cause and I take no issue with atheism. I only take issue with people who are unfair and unjust. They could be a believer or an atheist.

I have no victim mentality because I am nobody’s victim. I am just a person standing up for justice and equity, because these are the most important principles of my religion. Sure I felt a little hurt right after it happened, because I was misrepresented and insulted by someone I thought wanted me on his forum, because he was the one who invited me back after I had left for a year. But obviously he only wanted me there if he could control what I posted.

It was my mistake to think it would be any different than it has been in the past, but that is just the way I am, always looking for new possibilities. I am an incurable optimist. I once let a tenant get behind $11,000 on his rent, trusting he would eventually pay me back... Everyone thought I was a fool, but he finally did pay me almost all of that money and now he keeps up on the rent every month. He is still living in my house and we are on very amiable terms. He still has some rent debt, but I trust he will pay it back eventually. My point is that I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt but when I do and they stab me in the back that hurts.

What I mean by the victim mentality is blame and the inability to accept one's own fault. I have years of anecdotal experience with a family member and a relationship where they displayed the constant victim mentality. I'm not saying you have it, but I am noticing similarities. For instance, here you expressed what a good person you are(rent example/optimist/innocent/stands up for equality and justice/gullible) and what a bad person he is(unjust/unfair/controlling) and this is only from this snippet. This is just an observation.

. But this is not primarily about me being hurt, so it is not about closure and healing. It is about religious discrimination, justice and equity, or doesn’t that matter to anyone?
Was this a rhetorical question?

It is an important teaching of my religion to beware lest we offend the feelings of anyone, or sadden the heart of any person. However, kindness must be tempered by justice. The fact remains he did do what he did and I did not do what he accused me of doing, and I have evidence in the posts that I posted.
So, what kind of justice will you implement?

I brought up some points and in my OP in an effort to understand how atheists might think and feel. Now let me restate my points as questions.
  • I wonder why people think and do what they think and do. Can you think of any reason why atheists are hostile towards believers other than that they feel threatened in some way?
  • Why would atheists act out that way unless they are afraid of what I have to say about God or my religion?
  • Why can’t “some atheists” be friends with believers, as opposed to only telling them they are wrong about what they believe and even brainwashed? Why do you think that atheists are compelled to keep telling me I am wrong about what I believe?I do not tell atheists they are wrong about what they disbelieve. I have been noted for saying that atheism is just as logical as belief, given there is no proof that God exists. But there is no proof that God does not exist, so belief is just as logical. There are reasons to think that God does not exist and reasons to think that God exists.
  • Why do you think “some atheists” become hostile and even insulting when I say I believe in God, a soul and an afterlife? It seems to me that if atheists are so sure these do not exist they would be able to just blow me off instead of getting antagonistic. I would not get angry if someone who talked about a pink unicorn in my garage because I know there is no pink unicorn in my garage.
  • Along these lines, I do not think it is not right for a believer to threaten an atheist with hell, but if they did, why would an atheist get upset about that if they are so sure there is no hell?
I was actually writing some of these down, but before I did, I stated I can only really talk about myself. I tried to answer a few and tried to relate to myself. Before I knew it, I was generalising about atheists and not talking about myself at all :p
Why do you want me to generalise about atheists when you would get a much better picture if you ask the person directly what they believe? Atheists have very little in common other than they disbelieve or have non-belief. It would be like asking what non-sport players has in common or non-pc users, etc; It'll range quite widely.

If you really wanted to know, ask us directly, don't ask atheists to generalise about other atheists as if we know anything about each other. I can answer these questions for myself, not others. However, I do not think you care what I think; the only thing you've done in this thread is generalise and it seems to fulfil some 'I'm the good guy they're the bad guy' satisfaction. I have to go back to the victim mentality.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

None of what I posted in my OP was about nice vs. mean atheists, and it is not about the bad behavior of atheists. It was about religious discrimination and injustice perpetrated by one atheist forum owner who accused me of having thoughts and feelings I did not have and intent I did not have, and also accused me of posting what I did not post, as I proved to him by doing a search for all my posts.
I don’t know. It’s just that something I can’t quite put my finger on gave me the impression the thread was about Why are “some atheists” so intolerant of religious believers. I even gave a perfectly valid answer to that question. A story about how one forum owner mistreated you is an entirely different topic unless you can present a concrete reason for projecting his behaviour on to any wider group of people. Again, I don’t think you did this consciously and it’s the kind of thing we can all be guilty of but that’s all the more reason to acknowledge and address it.

Milton Platt

That’s all true. He owns the forum so he can do whatever he wants to do.

It is a very small tight knit group of posters, and it has not changed much over the years. I only see one new regular poster who has joined that group in five years. You either fit in or you don’t, kind of like a clique. I tried to fit in, probably because I needed a place to fit in, but I was never accepted by the staff, only tolerated at best. Other posters liked me but that does not help when the forum owner does not like you. It is kind of like having a bad boss at work despite nice coworkers.

People stop by but most do not stay very long. Believers are usually chased off by insulting remarks that are made about belief or accusations of proselytizing. Several atheists who used to post there have left because they do not like the over moderation. I had gotten to know them there so when they left I invited them to my forum. They gave me the same guff mist atheists give me about God and my beliefs, but eventually we came to understand each other and we became friends.

Guff? Or arguments which question the basis for your beliefs? Are you just wanting to post your beliefs but not have them questioned? If you cannot factually and logically defend your beliefs, perhaps you should reexamine those beliefs. Not saying that’s the case with you, just asking.

You should never confuse attacking an idea with attacking the person. I agree with you that attacking the person is counter productive. But you should always be open to having your beliefs challenged with new ideas and logical arguments. That is how one learns new things and refines one’s beliefs and knowledge.

There are areas on this board where people who believe in a certain god or gods can discuss their faith-based (as opposed to fact-based) beliefs without having them questioned. In these areas, no debate or argumentation is allowed. Self-imposed echo chambers, if you will, where what you want to hear is continually repeated back to you and never challenged. Perhaps that is where you should be posting if you wish to avoid having to defend your beliefs.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I think the reason they single out Baha’i is because they cannot knock it down as easily as Christianity and other older religions. That makes them mad. :mad:
No, it's because you act so high and mighty about how you fixed the problems with religion, and yet you're no better than anyone else.

Bob the Unbeliever

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member