• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why always we?

yes due to lack of islamic knowledge, many non-muslims cannot tell the difference between an islamic law/practice and a non-islamic culture among the muslims. it was common among arabs to bury their baby daughters just because they were females, islam however, forbids this but if an arab did this nowadays it doesn't mean it's because his religion says so. it just means he's a very messed up person.

The Prophet Muhammad Himself, may the glory of God be upon Him, was a feminist. :) He gave women rights to divorce, rights to trial, rights to live, and the right to be human, when Arab barbarians treated women as nothing but chattle and slaves.

It's too bad that many cultures still retain that strong machismo element and treat women as less intelligent.

But as in the Qur'an, both men and women, in soul and spiritual life, were created equal by God. May Muhammad be ever praised and blessed!

"O mankind! Lo! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of God, is the best in conduct. Lo! God is Knower, Aware."

Marble

Rolling Marble
The Prophet Muhammad Himself, may the glory of God be upon Him, was a feminist. :) He gave women rights to divorce, rights to trial, rights to live, and the right to be human, when Arab barbarians treated women as nothing but chattle and slaves.

It's too bad that many cultures still retain that strong machismo element and treat women as less intelligent.

But as in the Qur'an, both men and women, in soul and spiritual life, were created equal by God. May Muhammad be ever praised and blessed!

"O mankind! Lo! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of God, is the best in conduct. Lo! God is Knower, Aware."
I have heared different about the situation of Arabian women before Islam.
I have heared it was costum that man moved to the clan of their wife after marriage.
The tent the couple lived in was considered the possession of the woman, because
it was she who constructed it.
When a woman did not want to live with her husband any more, she simply told him to go and he had to do so. That was considered divorce. The children remained with the mother and her clan.
But there were many different tribes in Arabia and it is possible they had quite different customes.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I have heared different about the situation of Arabian women before Islam.
I have heared it was costum that man moved to the clan of their wife after marriage.
The tent the couple lived in was considered the possession of the woman, because
it was she who constructed it.
When a woman did not want to live with her husband any more, she simply told him to go and he had to do so. That was considered divorce. The children remained with the mother and her clan.
But there were many different tribes in Arabia and it is possible they had quite different customes.

you may have been missinformed, i have never come across any such perspective before. i don't believe anyone has any evidence to provide in support of that. men were the 'gods' of women in pre islamic arabia, when a daughter would be born to them they used to bury them alive due to the soposed shame it brought to the family. all those honour killings and what-nots stem from that practice, it is always a female that is killed or punished in those honour killings and never a male because that was their custom. islam came and it prohibited that, anyone who killed their new born daughter was to be killed in return. the quran even mentiones this:

81:8 And when the girl [who was] buried alive is asked
81:9 For what sin she was killed

islam considered this a crime when everyone else considered it justice to family honour. women were bought and sold they had no rights, they had no say in anything, appart from some women who belong to noble tribes and gave them a little more respect than the other tribes did.

Just_me_Mike

In all religions, women are discriminated.
No were we enjoy the same privileges as man.

Why?

If there is a God: Does he/she/it not care about us?

We bear the children and raise them - and what do we get for this?

- Emotional & physical torture, (Sati, widow burning in Hinduism[/i], crippled feet for they may stay small (China), tschador & various other forms of veiling (Islam) )
- Enforced celibacy/arranged marriages for control over begetting
- Less food (because in many countries men eat first and women & children get the remains)
- Restricted access to education
- Less money for the same job
- Loss of time a man can devote to brain work
- Health risk + emotional stress
- Discrimination for the way in which or bodies work (menustration taboos, women are seen as dirty and spiritually dangerous for men, for monks in particular)
- While for men many moral questions remain more or less abstract, we women feel the consequences in our lives, in our flesh (abortion debate)

Why has God given men so many advantages?
Why is life so much simpler when you live it as a man?
And what does all that say about the nature of God?

​
It says. God holds thy booty scred, and as such, you are to be treasured as a secret to be enjoyed by all.

bwa ha ha ha,

j_lo_booty_white_pants.jpg

nah, I dunno, men are just stupid. You give them an inch they take a mile I suppose.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Another relevant link for this post.

The God women need - On Faith - The Washington Post

Despite the title, it is an awesome read.

If the goddesses are suppressed, if they are erased from history, reduced to lesser roles, or turned into demons, then there is no divinity that reflects the female experience. Instead of being the originators of life, subduers of injustice, and the source of all sovereignty, women are instead bearers of the “original sin.” No sane philosopher or theologian can claim this doesn’t change the very nature of a culture, or the way we perceive gender. Imagine for a moment how different the ever-raging debate over legal access to abortion, or even contraception, whether for or against, would be if women were seen as the final holy arbiters in the matter of creating life. I can only guess we’d see something very different from the parade of old white male politicians exclaiming about “moral” issues and threatening basic health care for women in the process. Once you open your mind to that first exercise in a world with goddesses it’s hard not to think of dozens, hundreds, more. Female priests and feminine divine pronouns would hardly skim the surface.

Last edited:

Marble

Rolling Marble
In the Social World > Sexuality sub-forum, there is a thread about erection control.
Given that this seems to be a real issue for men, can that be the true source of gender apartheid, and all the spiritual and religious reasons given are just lame excuses?

atanu

Premium Member
- Less money for the same job

Hey that is wrong. In India, my female colleague s who do not even give as much time that I have to give get more and pay less tax. It is a fact.

I do not bear any grudge though, since extra time and money is transformed to love. :)

Cricket

This is a bit of an aside, I suppose...

But, I'm not sure what's inherently wrong with honouring a woman's power to give life? I don't find that to be oppressive at all. Mentioning a woman's womb, or childbirth, etc., does not imply that it is ALL she is "good for", but does speak to a power that she possesses that men do not share. We are the beginning of life, as it were. That is a formidable responsibility. Even women who cannot or choose not to physically give birth still posses the energy of motherhood, and that energy is necessary for the protection and proliferation of humankind, as I see it.

I'm not sure how the honour of motherhood is a sign of oppression, and any literature I've read on Sikhism has sounded to me as though motherhood and femininity are very revered.

With Respect,

Cricket

Marble

Rolling Marble
@Cricket

You're right.
I suppose I let myself influence of the very stressful lives of mothers today, often single moms, trying to balance child and job.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
In all religions, women are discriminated.
No were we enjoy the same privileges as man. Why?

because men are imperfect and sinful and they do not live by Gods perfect standards. Look at how Eve lived in Eden before they sinned. She was independent as is seen by the fact that Adam was off somewhere else while she was busy doing her own thing when the snake spoke to her. She was not wearing clothing because her body was not viewed as a sexual item for mans pleasure. She had a degree of autonomy as one of Gods sentient creations. Adam viewed Eve as his equal and when they were first brought together he exclaimed "this is at last bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh..."

Bute
the independent stance taken by Adam changed all that for hr. God informed her that their new status would be damaging for her. God told her "your craving will be for your husband and he will dominate you"
Every thing you've mentioned in the list is the result of mans domination over woman. Its a domination that was never supposed to exist, nor would it have existed if man remained faithful to God.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Little is really known about Proto-Druids, but the information we have about them and the Classical Druids is that women were equal. Female Druids dispensed justice, advice to rulers, led rituals and ceremony, and so forth at least as often as (sometimes more than) male Druids. Revivalist Druidry was more patriarchal, largely due to the fact that they tried to fit under the umbrella of chauvinistic Christianity, which at that time still ruled pretty stringently.

Modern Druids have reverted; leadership or religious role is quite independent of and irrelevant to gender.

One reason I love being a Druid. :yes: