• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why a Man?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If christianity is correct, and god had a human child, why do you suppose it was a son and not a daughter? Is there any good reason he would choose a son over a daughter? If Jesus had been a woman, do you think christianity would be where it is today?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm not a Christian, but I do believe in the historicity of the Passion (though I have a radically different take on it, obviously). If my perspective is unwelcome, let me know, no hard feelings. :)

I think Christ was male because the culture He was addressing was deeply patriarchal - even misogynistic - and simply wouldn't have listened to a woman. It was a tactical decision, plain and simple.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I agree..no one would have listened to a woman.In fact ..she would probably would have been "executed" rather than crucified immediately if she proclaimed she was the "Lord"..or God incarnate..maybe even by her own parents.If not that?..Just laughed off the block and considered insane.

Love

Dallas

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree..no one would have listened to a woman.In fact ..she would probably would have been "executed" rather than crucified immediately if she proclaimed she was the "Lord"..or God incarnate..maybe even by her own parents.If not that?..Just laughed off the block and considered insane.

Love

Dallas

That was what I was going to say! In different words of course. :yes:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
If christianity is correct, and god had a human child, why do you suppose it was a son and not a daughter? Is there any good reason he would choose a son over a daughter? If Jesus had been a woman, do you think christianity would be where it is today?
If you think Jesus wasn't accepted then how do ya think a woman would be?...:rolleyes:
My Lord Man, according to Paul we couldn't even get inside the synagogue and had to wait to ask our husbands at home. If we were to remain silent, how could we have spoken to the multitudes? :ignore:......Ignore us we are only women.....:D

Last edited:

Beaudreaux

I have heard reasons for masculine dominance in the church given by people I respect. He was actually talking about why women should not lead worship services. His reason was that the priest is supposed to be a stand-in for God and that God is masculine. That of course begs the question "why is God masculine? Doesn't he have characteristics of both?" His answer went something like this.

Masculine acts. Feminine is acted upon. Since God is supreme He acts and is never acted upon.

As a Pastafarian, I believe that God both acts (with his noodly appendages) and that he can be acted upon (by applying marinara and regiano.....SO good...). So, I don't buy into any of this.

I'm not a Christian, but I do believe in the historicity of the Passion (though I have a radically different take on it, obviously). If my perspective is unwelcome, let me know, no hard feelings. :)

I think Christ was male because the culture He was addressing was deeply patriarchal - even misogynistic - and simply wouldn't have listened to a woman. It was a tactical decision, plain and simple.

Not a Christian either ;) but I think Storm, DallasApple and Charity have it right. We, I think rightly, see that the religion and its text are a product of their time.

The question is, for those who accept the bible as a product of its time, IS Jesus / God still a male? If we can count his manifestation as something that would appeal to those who would follow him while he was on earth, what possible justification do we have to classify him/them as exclusively male today? Does gender mean anything if you are only spirit?

(Beaudreaux has an answer for that ^^ I think, but anyone else?)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't know. In a truly equal society, there would be no compelling reason for either gender. But are we a truly equal society, yet?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Because if Jesus had been a woman the gospels would look like this;

Jesus: "Repent and ask forgiveness"!

Every man in Judea: "Why? What did we do"?

Jesus:" Nothing"!

Men: "No really, what did we do"?

Jesus: "I don't want to talk about it".

Men: "Well if you don't tell us how can we stop doing it"?

Jesus: "Well if you don't know what you did then you don't deserve to be saved".

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend a totalstanger,

Though am not a Christian but responding as it is in a general section.

The journey to god or universal energy or tao or what ever you call it begins with the INDIVIDUAL.
Existence does not distinguish between male and female. Existence always in a balance or always in a correction mode to balance out everything instantaneously.

It so happens that in history more men as individual energy have been found to merge with that universal energy BUT women too have been there.
It was Jesus who sought salvation and not any god who sent someone to save this world etc as the bible stories may give the impression.
Love & rgds