• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's a UU?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Is your attitude in this thread representative of others who follow the Raelian shtick?
After him giving us a hard time about pledging, I was surprised to find this on the wiki:
wiki said:
The Raëlian Church now has a quasi-clerical structure with a height of seven levels. At the top is Claude Vorilhon, now known as Raël. Joining the movement involves a transmission ceremony as well as an official apostasy from other religions in recognition of Elohim, as the creators of life from the heavens. About one-third of Raëlians pay dues to the Raëlian Church.

And:
wiki said:
according to Glenn McGee, who is the associate director of the Center for Bioethics' at the University of Virginia, part of the sect is a cult while the other part is a commercial website that collects large sums of money from those interested in human cloning.

mystic man

Esoteric
I'm not a Raelian lol, But I'll use this title till I find a good Path.

You can't fit "Noahide Nazarene Taoist Neo-Quaker Hindu Buddhist Universalist" into the 'Religion' section.

mystic man

Esoteric
Is your attitude in this thread representative of others who follow the Raelian shtick?

Possibly, Doubt it. Btw, this thread doesn't represent mine either. It was late... I was out of it, my back hurt, my hair hurt. I couldn't help it.

applewuud

Just a point of what "congregational polity" means: each individual UU church, society, fellowship or whatever sets its own criteria for membership. There need not be any ritual or requirement at all. In my church, it's as simple as signing a book. Agreeing to contribute something, whether time, talent, or treasure, is a reasonable expectation of belonging to any organization, but you can always attend a UU church or society without being a member. You only become a member BECAUSE you want to support the congregation. Anyone can consider themselves a UU theologically without being a member of a specific society...in fact, if you believe the latest polls, that's what about 500,000 Americans do (as written in this quarter's UU World ;)).

Wolfscout1

Spiritual Warrior.
I'm a recent book signing pledging member of my local UU church.
I don't mind pledging there as they have to pay for utilities , pastor and other things.
What I do have a problem with is the push on the Church of the Larger Fellowship for the pledging.
Being disabled I give to the local church what I can and have told them I have nothing but time to volunteer where I fit. But the only resource place I find problematic. I don't plan to borrow their books .. and so forth I usually obtain my books from amazon anyways..... Using the percentage factor in my situation is a nogo.

Sometimes it is a bit discouraging to learn just how much material dollar value people put on gaining knowledge. As I've walked my path, I have sought to lessen that situation wherever I can.
a suggestion is a library of books and resources in a church. Donated by members or a log kept of who has what at least so members could go borrow them. Knowledge should be made free to spread. *** ends his rant ***