• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whom will Jews accept?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
However, we Jehovah's Witnesses study the Hebrew Scriptures so deeply that we probably know some things that many modern religious Jews do not.
Some that don't study Torah, quite possibly. But serious Torah study is amazingly thorough as sometimes we couldn't make it through 1 chapter in our hour & a half sessions.

Actually, although in Christendom they believe that Jesus is equal to God, Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe that, but that Jehovah sent Jesus as a prophet and as Messiah
That is not what the Trinitarian Concept teaches as it's widely misunderstood. I can clarify if you'd like.

We believe that it is very important to use the personal name of God, because it was the Jews after Malachi who decided that it could not be used anymore.
Except "Jehovah" is not the specific name of "YHWY" for a couple of good reasons.

You are using English words, and yet Torah was written in Hebrew and the Christian scriptures were written in Koine Greek. So, am I to "get on your case" because you're not using the original languages here?

Eli G

Some that don't study Torah, quite possibly. But serious Torah study is amazingly thorough as sometimes we couldn't make it through 1 chapter in our hour & a half sessions.

That is not what the Trinitarian Concept teaches as it's widely misunderstood. I can clarify if you'd like.

Except "Jehovah" is not the specific name of "YHWY" for a couple of good reasons.

You are using English words, and yet Torah was written in Hebrew and the Christian scriptures were written in Koine Greek. So, am I to "get on your case" because you're not using the original languages here?
We could talk about the name of God in another topic if you like ... That is a very interesting matter to talk about but it is diferent than what the OP intended to discuss here.

rosends

Tell us what is the diference you think to exist between the sound of a modern English J and the sound of an old Yod?
the difference between the consonant /y/ sound and the consonant /j/ in English. Clearly you don't know anything about biblical Hebrew. Some of us use it all the time.

Eli G

the difference between the consonant /y/ sound and the consonant /j/ in English. Clearly you don't know anything about biblical Hebrew. Some of us use it all the time.
Mmmh. I think you don't know what you are talking about. Probably you are just repeating something you heard ...

There is not any diference between the sound of the English letter J and the sound of an old Hebrew Yod. They lied to you.

When you say JEHOVAH you are expresing the sounds YHWH the same way those consonants sounded in old Hebrew language. W in Hebrew language sounds like V sometimes also, so even that consonant is right.

About the vowels is a longer topic but, as I said before, this is not the thread to talk about it.

Anyway, I hope you have learned something from a non-Jew about the sounds of the YOD and VAV in Hebrew.

Last edited:

rosends

Mmmh. I think you do't know what are you talking about. Probably you are just repeating something you heard ...

There is not any diference between an English sound of the letter J than the sound of an old Hebrew Yod. They lied to you.

When you say JEHOVAH you are expresing the sounds YHWH the same way those consonants sounded in old Hebrew language. W in Hebrew language sounds like V sometimes also, so even that consonant is right.

About the vowels is a longer topic, but as I said before, this is not the thread to talk about it.

Anyway, I hope you have learned something from a non-Jew about the sounds of the Yod and VAV in Hebrew.
Wow, you really know nothing. The question of the vav and waw in an intersting issue of academic import, informed by culture (check with the Sephardic Jews for more). but you have been sold a bill of goods if anyone told you that the biblical yod had a J sound.
Your vowels are wrong and your consonant is wrong. So sad that you have been fed lies. Maybe someday you will learn to think on your own.

Eli G

Mmmh ... trying to find some argument in your last post ... give me a year ...

Good bye.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Revelation 3:9, NIV: I will make those who are of the synagogue of satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars--I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

John 5:43: I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not accept Me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him.

It is a dogma, that Jews will follow Antichrist, isn't it? But why the God loves the human, whom the Jews will accept?

Jews are awaiting the messiah, he who will rule during the messianic era. We will know him because he will fulfill ALL the prophecies, such as ushering in an era of worldwide peace, brining all the Jews back to Israel, ruling from Jerusalem, etc. This is also how we know that Jesus was NOT the messiah -- he did not do those things.

Gezellig

Jews are awaiting the messiah, he who will rule during the messianic era. We will know him because he will fulfill ALL the prophecies, such as ushering in an era of worldwide peace, brining all the Jews back to Israel, ruling from Jerusalem, etc. This is also how we know that Jesus was NOT the messiah -- he did not do those things.
Yes, the Jews are waiting for the Messiah. They even killed Jesus, whom they did not consider the Messiah. Although even Pontius Pilate did not find any fault in him.
"And Pilate, when he had called together the chief priests and the rulers and the people, 14 Said unto them, Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people: and, behold, I, having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof ye accuse him: 15 No, nor yet Herod: for I sent you to him; and, lo, nothing worthy of death is done unto him" (Luke 23: 13-16).