• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Baha’u’llah, and How Can We Evaluate His Claims?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
People on this forum are always asking me why I believe that Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be.
That is a very fair question given the boldness of His claims.

Baha’u’llah’s Two Bold Claims

All of which leads us back to Baha’u’llah, who made two very bold claims. First, he declared he was God’s messenger for the next one thousand years, having the same divine authority, the same Holy Spirit, the same divine power, as Moses, Christ, Muhammad, and the other founders of the major world religions.

This station, by itself, makes the Baha’i Faith the youngest of the major world religions.

Baha’u’llah made a second and even more challenging claim. He declared he was the promised world messiah foretold in all the prophecies, in all the holy books, of all the religions of the world – the one promised to come on the Day of Judgment, the Day of God, the Time of the End, the End of the World, to establish the kingdom of God on Earth.

From: https://bahaiteachings.org/what-did-bahaullah-teach?

When people ask me why I believe in Baha’u’llah I tell them I looked at the ‘evidence’ that supports His claims. The usual response is “that’s not evidence.” However, it is by definition evidence and it is objective evidence.

The reason that it is objective evidence is because we can examine and evaluate the evidence since there are actual facts surrounding the Person, the Life, and the Mission of Baha'u'llah. This is evidence that supports His claims although it is not proof. Nobody can ever ‘prove’ that a man is a Messenger of God, except to themselves. If it could be proven it would be a fact and not a religious belief.

If people want to know if Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be they have to evaluate the evidence for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrew Mancey | May 29, 2022

The views expressed in our content reflect individual perspectives and do not represent the official views of the Baha'i Faith.

Today many people deny the existence of God. Discouraged by the confused state of religion – how can only one be right and the others condemned? – such a state of mind can easily lead us to pessimism or depression.

This skepticism about the existence of a divine Creator has happened, at least partly, because the original teachings of the founders of religion have become confused with superstitions that conflict with science.

The advent of Baha’u’llah – the prophet and founder of the Baha’i Faith – has dramatically altered that perception, not only because he founded the most recent global religion, but because his nascent Faith renews the promise of the reality of God.

Also, while some historians have called into question the traditional accounts of the lives of past prophets, the remarkable record of Baha’u’llah’s life has a solid historical foundation. We know how and where he lived – and yet, we also know that he lived a life unlike that of a man, but comparable to the life of Jesus or Muhammad.

RELATED: Baha’u’llah’s Book of Certitude: Illuminating Spiritual Wisdom

What Baha’u’llah brought into the world and what he did to spread those teachings to all people offer us clear evidence of the role of the Creator in the course of human history.

In fact, his example vindicates the accounts of previous messengers and prophets of God. In his writings, Baha’u’llah specifically affirmed the divine nature of the missions and teachings of those previous messengers. However, he also stressed the need for new spiritual and social teachings in this modern age, and condemned the divisions and superstitious beliefs which have accumulated in religion and society.

If Baha’u’llah is the divine messenger he claimed to be, then his explanations of the nature of God, the purpose of life, and of the eternal existence of the soul sweep aside centuries of confusion and perplexity and construct a common foundation for all religions in harmony with science. So let’s look, very briefly, at some of the attributes and achievements of Baha’u’llah.

His Character

Abdu’l-Baha, the son and successor of Baha’u’llah, described his father’s early days and how he lived, saying that Baha’u’llah:

… belonged to the nobility of Persia. From earliest childhood He was distinguished among His relatives and friends. They said, “This child has extraordinary power.” In wisdom, intelligence and as a source of new knowledge, He was advanced beyond His age and superior to His surroundings. All who knew Him were astonished at His precocity. It was usual for them to say, “Such a child will not live,” for it is commonly believed that precocious children do not reach maturity. During the period of youth the Blessed Perfection did not enter school. He was not willing to be taught. This fact is well established among the Persians of Ṭihran. Nevertheless, He was capable of solving the difficult problems of all who came to Him. In whatever meeting, scientific assembly or theological discussion He was found, He became the authority of explanation upon intricate and abstruse questions presented.

His Writings

Baha’is believe that Baha’u’llah’s writings reveal the word of God for this day and age. Baha’u’llah began writing tablets, letters, epistles and entire books in the 1850s, and that revelation continued until he left this world in 1892. Together, his writings constitute more than a hundred volumes. Never before has humankind received such a voluminous, powerful spiritual gift.

In 1912, while traveling and speaking in North America, Abdu’l-Baha characterized the scope and substance of Baha’u’llah’s writings. He said:

The Tablets of Baha’u’llah are many. The precepts and teachings they contain are universal, covering every subject. He has revealed scientific explanations ranging throughout all the realms of human inquiry and investigation—astronomy, biology, medical science, etc. In the [Book of Certitude] He has given expositions of the meanings of the Gospel and other heavenly Books. He wrote lengthy Tablets upon civilization, sociology and government. Every subject is considered. His Tablets are matchless in beauty and profundity. Even His enemies acknowledge the greatness of Baha’u’llah, saying He was the miracle of humanity.

Across the great breadth and depth of Baha’u’llah’s writings, we find the laws and teachings humanity needs to address our contemporary problems and form the basis for a new, peaceful global civilization.

Baha’u’llah’s most important teaching – the fundamental oneness of all humanity – affirms that we are all members of one race with one origin. All prejudices, whether racial, religious, national, or gender-based must be eradicated, he said. We are destined to work together, men and women, for our common benefit. We need to be of service to all.

A New World Order

The scriptures of the great Faiths all offer us prophecies of a better world to come. Throughout history, philosophers have consistently written about such a fruitful future – the promised “Golden Age” of human civilization.

Baha’u’llah’s teachings make those promises real. In the Baha’i writings, they become much more specific, outlining and describing a roadmap for what needs to be done to achieve this long-promised objective.

Toward these goals, the global Baha’i community has been developing essential skills such as community-building, promoting world unity, and decision-making using peaceful consultation rather than conflict, all based on Baha’u’llah’s teachings. In addition, Baha’is raise their children to become global citizens who live according to spiritual principles and dedicate themselves to serving humanity.

Prophecies fulfilled

For Christians, the 1800’s represented a time of great expectation. Many Biblical prophecies were understood by Christian scholars to predict the return of Christ around the years 1843 or 1844. Prophecies from the Old Testament, such as Isaiah and Daniel, aligned with prophecies from the Gospels and Revelation. These prophecies indicated not only the time of a great renewal, but also the places and circumstances involved.

Muslims experienced similar excitement around that same time. Prophecies from Sunni and Shi’a traditions also foretold the appearance of the Promised One in the year 1844, the year 1260 in the Muslim calendar.

RELATED: The Passing and Ascension of Baha’u’llah

The Baha’i revelation, which began in 1844 with the revelation of the Bab, Baha’u’llah’s herald and predecessor, fulfills those prophecies. Baha’u’llah did not deny the previous prophets – instead, he included them in his profound concept of progressive revelation, the Baha’i belief that a loving Creator sends His messengers to people when they are in need of renewed spiritual guidance.

Baha’u’llah wrote about this chain of successive messengers: “These Mirrors will everlastingly succeed each other, and will continue to reflect the light of the Ancient of Days.” He described all of God’s holy prophets by saying:

Every one of them is the Way of God that connecteth this world with the realms above, and the Standard of His Truth unto every one in the kingdoms of earth and heaven. They are the Manifestations of God amidst men, the evidences of His Truth, and the signs of His glory.

Baha’is believe that every person is responsible for their own actions – and that accordingly, we all need to investigate the truth for ourselves. Anyone with an open mind who investigates Baha’u’llah will likely find it difficult to deny that he was more than an ordinary man, and that his teachings are divine in origin. Baha’is everywhere urge everyone to look into Baha’u’llah’s life, claims, and teachings, and decide the truth for themselves.

https://bahaiteachings.org/Who Was Baha’u’llah, and How Can We Evaluate His Claims

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
According to scriptures a prophet to be recognized as a messenger of God must perform a miracle.
From what I see Baha’u’llah performed none, so how can he be messenger of God or messiah?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
According to scriptures a prophet to be recognized as a messenger of God must perform a miracle.
From what I see Baha’u’llah performed none, so how can he be messenger of God or messiah?
Baha'u'llah performed miracles but He did not offer them as proof of His Prophethood.

Bahá’u’lláh forbade His followers to attribute miracles to Him because this would have amounted to the degradation of His exalted station. Nevertheless, there are many accounts left to posterity by His disciples, describing the circumstances in which He either healed incurables or raised the dead.

None of these supernatural acts were considered by His followers to be a proof of the truth of His Cause, since they are only convincing to a limited number of people and they are not decisive proofs even for those who see them.

One time, the religious leaders in Persia asked Baha’u’llah to perform a miracle to prove the reality of His mission. Here’s what happened:

The ‘ulama recognize without hesitation and confess the knowledge and virtue of Bahá’u’lláh, and they are unanimously convinced that in all learning he has no peer or equal; and it is also evident that he has never studied or acquired this learning; but still the ‘ulama say, ‘We are not contented with this; we do not acknowledge the reality of his mission by virtue of his wisdom and righteousness. Therefore, we ask him to show us a miracle in order to satisfy and tranquilize our hearts.’

Bahá’u’lláh replied, “Although you have no right to ask this, for God should test His creatures, and they should not test God, still I allow and accept this request. But the Cause of God is not a theatrical display that is presented every hour, of which some new diversion may be asked for every day. If it were thus, the Cause of God would become mere child’s play.

The ulamas must, therefore, assemble, and, with one accord, choose one miracle, and write that, after the performance of this miracle they will no longer entertain doubts about Me, and that all will acknowledge and confess the truth of My Cause. Let them seal this paper, and bring it to Me. This must be the accepted criterion: if the miracle is performed, no doubt will remain for them; and if not, We shall be convicted of imposture.” The learned man, Hasan ‘Amu, rose and replied, “There is no more to be said”; he then kissed the knee of the Blessed One although he was not a believer, and went. He gathered the ‘ulama and gave them the sacred message. They consulted together and said, “This man is an enchanter; perhaps he will perform an enchantment, and then we shall have nothing more to say.” Acting on this belief, they did not dare to push the matter further. [The penetrating judgment of Bahá’u’lláh upon this occasion overcame the malignity of His enemies, who, it was certain, would never agree in choosing what miracle to ask for.] (Abdu’l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 29-30)

Bahá’u’lláh seldom responded positively to those who demanded miracles from Him. But He often revealed a measure of His glory and power to those who had recognized Him in order to strengthen their Faith:

It is not right for man to test God. Bahá’u’lláh seldom responded positively to those who demanded miracles from Him. But He often revealed a measure of His glory and power to those who had recognized Him in order to strengthen their Faith. (Adib Taherzadeh, The Revelation of Baha’u’llah v 4, p. 54-55)

Nimos

Baha’u’llah made a second and even more challenging claim. He declared he was the promised world messiah foretold in all the prophecies, in all the holy books, of all the religions of the world – the one promised to come on the Day of Judgment, the Day of God, the Time of the End, the End of the World, to establish the kingdom of God on Earth.
In order to correctly evaluate his claims, doesn't we need some clear definitions and success criteria first?

How do we establish that he is the one that all the holy books are referring to? What exactly is and when is the day of Judgement? What is the day of God and how do we know that? When you say end of the world are you talking total destruction of Earth, like no life left etc. or what are the criteria? And how do we recognize or know what the Kingdom of God looks like on Earth?

So im not talking about whether he is right or wrong, simply how or what one would test his claims against, if that makes sense?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Baha'i claim is that the "Christ" came in the 1800's. And that there was two of them. Supposedly the first one was the forerunner of the second one, but lots of the supposed prophecies from the Bible that predict when the Messiah is to come are about him and not the main prophet, Baha'u'llah. But, for me, there's lots of little details that are problematic. So, for you, what are you expecting? Who is going to return and when? And then, what will the Messiah do when he does return.

I assume that you're expecting Jesus, so what needs to happen before he returns. And what is supposed to happen when he returns? Do those expectations match with what is happening in the world right now? Is this the world that you'd expect to see more than150 years after the "Christ" has returned? And more than 130 years since he's died? Of course the Baha'is have an explanation as to why the world is still in turmoil. They say it is because the world pretty much rejected Baha'u'llah. What they call, the "Most Great Peace" could have been established if the leaders of the world would have listened to him, but they didn't. For me, I don't see that predicted in the prophecies... that the Christ would come and be rejected again and thrown in jail and the tribulations would continue after he was gone.

So, what about Baha'u'llah fits and what doesn't fit with your Catholic beliefs about the return of Christ?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In order to correctly evaluate his claims, doesn't we need some clear definitions and success criteria first?
The way we evaluate Baha'u'llah's claims is by investigating His Person, what He did on His Mission and what He wrote.

As I said in the OP, there is evidence that supports His claims although it is not proof. Nobody can ever ‘prove’ that a man is a Messenger of God, except to themselves.
How do we establish that he is the one that all the holy books are referring to? What exactly is and when is the day of Judgement? What is the day of God and how do we know that? When you say end of the world are you talking total destruction of Earth, like no life left etc. or what are the criteria? And how do we recognize or know what the Kingdom of God looks like on Earth?
One way we can establish that He is the one that all the holy books are referring to is by looking at how He fulfilled the prophecies of those religions. All the major world religions are expecting a Messiah, a world redeemer, who will come in the End Times. Below are two websites that cover the prophecies of the major religions and what they believe the Messiah will be.

Prophecy Fulfilled Webpage

Prophecies from World Religion and other sources

I am not familiar with the prophecies of all the major religions, only the Bible prophecies. How Baha'u'llah fulfilled the prophecies for the return of Christ (which is the coming of the Messiah of all the religions) is delineated in the book entitled Thief in the Night by William Sears.

How Baha’u’llah is the “Coming of the Lord” in the “last days” is explained in this chapter:
The Coming of the Lord

The Day of Judgment is the Day of God. What Baha'is believe about the day of judgment is explained in this chapter:
The Day of Judgment

The Time of the End and the End of the World do not refer to the destruction of the world. They refer to the end of the old age (called the Age of Prophecy, from Adam to Muhammad) and the beginning of a new age (called the Age of Fulfillment, which was ushered in by the Bab and Baha'u'llah). This new age is the age in which the Kingdom of God promised in the Bible will be established on Earth. Baha'is also refer to that as the New World Order.
So im not talking about whether he is right or wrong, simply how or what one would test his claims against, if that makes sense?
Baha'u'llah said we each have to investigate His claims and put them to the test in order to determine if He was who He claimed to be.

“Bahá’u’lláh asked no one to accept His statements and His tokens blindly. On the contrary, He put in the very forefront of His teachings emphatic warnings against blind acceptance of authority, and urged all to open their eyes and ears, and use their own judgement, independently and fearlessly, in order to ascertain the truth. He enjoined the fullest investigation and never concealed Himself, offering, as the supreme proofs of His Prophethood, His words and works and their effects in transforming the lives and characters of men. The tests He proposed are the same as those laid down by His great predecessors. Moses said:—

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.—Deut. xviii, 22.

Christ put His test just as plainly, and appealed to it in proof of His own claim. He said:—
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. … Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.—Matt. vii, 15–17, 20

In the chapters that follow, we shall endeavor to show whether Bahá’u’lláh’s claim to Prophethood stands or falls by application of these tests: whether the things that He had spoken have followed and come to pass, and whether His fruits have been good or evil; in other words, whether His prophecies are being fulfilled and His ordinances established, and whether His lifework has contributed to the education and upliftment of humanity and the betterment of morals, or the contrary.”
Proofs of Prophethood, Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, pp. 8-9

Nimos

The way we evaluate Baha'u'llah's claims is by investigating His Person, what He did on His Mission and what He wrote.

As I said in the OP, there is evidence that supports His claims although it is not proof. Nobody can ever ‘prove’ that a man is a Messenger of God, except to themselves.
That is not really a huge problem in regards to what im talking about, because im not that interested in him as a person in regards to this. Its about the statements and definitions.

All the major world religions are expecting a Messiah, a world redeemer, who will come in the End Times. Below are two websites that cover the prophecies of the major religions and what they believe the Messiah will be.
So lets just stick with the Messiah. These are the things that the Jews expect of their Messiah, I have marked some of the stuff. Would you say that Baha'u'llah lived up to this when he lived. Said in another way. Does he fit what the Jews believes?

According to the Torah, the Messiah will be:

• a male descendant of the Jewish King David
  • human - he will have a human birth and human parents
  • a perfect teacher of God’s law
  • a great political leader - inspirational and a good judge
  • able to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem
  • ruler over humanity - but he will rule with kindness
  • the bringer of peace to the world
  • able to unite humanity
When will the Messiah appear?
Some Jews believe that God has already decided when the Messiah will appear on Earth but that the exact date is unknown to humans.

Others agree that the Messiah will come to Earth but only when humans have proved themselves to be worthy of him by improving their actions and behaviour.

A few think that he will appear when humanity is most in need.

The Torah advises Jews that the Prophet Elijah will appear on Earth just before the Messiah arrives and that the dead will rise from their graves.

The Messianic Age
During this time, people will live in peace, all Jews will return to Israel and all people will turn to the Jewish god as the one true God.

Food and water will be plentiful, crops will grow with high yields and animals will not prey on each other.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think Jesus already did that.
Then why did Jesus ask us to pray for the kingdom to come?
Do you believe that the kingdom of God came after this prayer was revealed?

Matthew 6:9-13
New International Version

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,a]">[a]
but deliver us from the evil one.b]">[b]’

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First, validate the major premises: The existence of God. God's interest in us, revelation through prophets, &c.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me, God is deceptive and misleader if Bahais are right. They do sort of the same thing Sunnis do with Prophet's (s) words appointing Ali (a), give alternative obtuse meanings rather then clear meaning by language.

I can't do that to God.

Day of judgment, seal of Prophets, the Mahdi in Hadiths and Quran, all of it, they have to twist.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That is not really a huge problem in regards to what im talking about, because im not that interested in him as a person in regards to this. Its about the statements and definitions.
I'm not sure what you mean by statements and definitions. Statements and definitions of what?
So lets just stick with the Messiah. These are the things that the Jews expect of their Messiah, I have marked some of the stuff. Would you say that Baha'u'llah lived up to this when he lived. Said in another way. Does he fit what the Jews believes?

According to the Torah, the Messiah will be:

• a male descendant of the Jewish King David
  • human - he will have a human birth and human parents
  • a perfect teacher of God’s law
  • a great political leader - inspirational and a good judge
  • able to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem
  • ruler over humanity - but he will rule with kindness
  • the bringer of peace to the world
  • able to unite humanity
When will the Messiah appear?
Some Jews believe that God has already decided when the Messiah will appear on Earth but that the exact date is unknown to humans.

Others agree that the Messiah will come to Earth but only when humans have proved themselves to be worthy of him by improving their actions and behaviour.

A few think that he will appear when humanity is most in need.

The Torah advises Jews that the Prophet Elijah will appear on Earth just before the Messiah arrives and that the dead will rise from their graves.

The Messianic Age
During this time, people will live in peace, all Jews will return to Israel and all people will turn to the Jewish god as the one true God.

Food and water will be plentiful, crops will grow with high yields and animals will not prey on each other.
Baha'u'llah fit some of what the Jews believe the Messiah will do but He did not fit with everything they expect the Messiah to do. Jews have a particular expectation of who the Messiah will be and what he will do and it is based upon their personal interpretation of the Torah. Jews believe that the Messiah is coming to vindicate them and restore their religion to its former glory, establishing their religion as the one true religion of God. The same applies to the Christian belief about the Messiah who they believe will be the return of the same man Jesus. Obviously they cannot both be right.

By contrast, Baha'is believe that the Messiah came for all of humanity, not for any particular religion, and we believe He was the return of all the Messengers of the past religions who fulfilled all the prophecies of past religions.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
None of that can be validated without the Messengers of God.

False per Quran. God, heaven and hell and day of judgment can be validated without Messengers and Prophets, but there is still need of a leader for justice in all time, because the light of the world is needed for spiritual life. A spiritual light in the inward world is needed for guidance and that the world can't do without.

But per Quran, Prophethood and Messengers sent by God and the leaders of guidance manifested to the public (brought out) is an act of grace and mercy and manifesting people as pure is an act of mercy from God.

Now, were it not for this mercy and grace, very few would enter paradise and not follow Iblis. People would complain on the day of judgment, why didn't God send Messengers.

It's a wrong argument that Messengers and Prophets are necessary to be good and to know God. Most people won't know God without them true, but it's not that it's necessary.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
None of that can be validated without the Messengers of God.
Sounds rather circular, to me. :confused:

Aren't such 'messengers' as numerous as snowflakes in a blizzard? They're part of hundreds of different cults and religions, throughout the world. Mental hospitals are full of them.
How are we to decide which, if any, to believe?

Riders

People on this forum are always asking me why I believe that Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be.
That is a very fair question given the boldness of His claims.

Baha’u’llah’s Two Bold Claims

All of which leads us back to Baha’u’llah, who made two very bold claims. First, he declared he was God’s messenger for the next one thousand years, having the same divine authority, the same Holy Spirit, the same divine power, as Moses, Christ, Muhammad, and the other founders of the major world religions.

This station, by itself, makes the Baha’i Faith the youngest of the major world religions.

From: https://bahaiteachings.org/what-did-bahaullah-teach?

When people ask me why I believe in Baha’u’llah I tell them I looked at the ‘evidence’ that supports His claims. The usual response is “that’s not evidence.” However, it is by definition evidence and it is objective evidence.

The reason that it is objective evidence is because we can examine and evaluate the evidence since there are actual facts surrounding the Person, the Life, and the Mission of Baha'u'llah. This is evidence that supports His claims although it is not proof. Nobody can ever ‘prove’ that a man is a Messenger of God, except to themselves. If it could be proven it would be a fact and not a religious belief.

If people want to know if Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be they have to evaluate the evidence for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrew Mancey | May 29, 2022

The views expressed in our content reflect individual perspectives and do not represent the official views of the Baha'i Faith.

Today many people deny the existence of God. Discouraged by the confused state of religion – how can only one be right and the others condemned? – such a state of mind can easily lead us to pessimism or depression.

This skepticism about the existence of a divine Creator has happened, at least partly, because the original teachings of the founders of religion have become confused with superstitions that conflict with science.

The advent of Baha’u’llah – the prophet and founder of the Baha’i Faith – has dramatically altered that perception, not only because he founded the most recent global religion, but because his nascent Faith renews the promise of the reality of God.

Also, while some historians have called into question the traditional accounts of the lives of past prophets, the remarkable record of Baha’u’llah’s life has a solid historical foundation. We know how and where he lived – and yet, we also know that he lived a life unlike that of a man, but comparable to the life of Jesus or Muhammad.

RELATED: Baha’u’llah’s Book of Certitude: Illuminating Spiritual Wisdom

What Baha’u’llah brought into the world and what he did to spread those teachings to all people offer us clear evidence of the role of the Creator in the course of human history.

In fact, his example vindicates the accounts of previous messengers and prophets of God. In his writings, Baha’u’llah specifically affirmed the divine nature of the missions and teachings of those previous messengers. However, he also stressed the need for new spiritual and social teachings in this modern age, and condemned the divisions and superstitious beliefs which have accumulated in religion and society.

If Baha’u’llah is the divine messenger he claimed to be, then his explanations of the nature of God, the purpose of life, and of the eternal existence of the soul sweep aside centuries of confusion and perplexity and construct a common foundation for all religions in harmony with science. So let’s look, very briefly, at some of the attributes and achievements of Baha’u’llah.

His Character

Abdu’l-Baha, the son and successor of Baha’u’llah, described his father’s early days and how he lived, saying that Baha’u’llah:

… belonged to the nobility of Persia. From earliest childhood He was distinguished among His relatives and friends. They said, “This child has extraordinary power.” In wisdom, intelligence and as a source of new knowledge, He was advanced beyond His age and superior to His surroundings. All who knew Him were astonished at His precocity. It was usual for them to say, “Such a child will not live,” for it is commonly believed that precocious children do not reach maturity. During the period of youth the Blessed Perfection did not enter school. He was not willing to be taught. This fact is well established among the Persians of Ṭihran. Nevertheless, He was capable of solving the difficult problems of all who came to Him. In whatever meeting, scientific assembly or theological discussion He was found, He became the authority of explanation upon intricate and abstruse questions presented.

His Writings

Baha’is believe that Baha’u’llah’s writings reveal the word of God for this day and age. Baha’u’llah began writing tablets, letters, epistles and entire books in the 1850s, and that revelation continued until he left this world in 1892. Together, his writings constitute more than a hundred volumes. Never before has humankind received such a voluminous, powerful spiritual gift.

In 1912, while traveling and speaking in North America, Abdu’l-Baha characterized the scope and substance of Baha’u’llah’s writings. He said:

The Tablets of Baha’u’llah are many. The precepts and teachings they contain are universal, covering every subject. He has revealed scientific explanations ranging throughout all the realms of human inquiry and investigation—astronomy, biology, medical science, etc. In the [Book of Certitude] He has given expositions of the meanings of the Gospel and other heavenly Books. He wrote lengthy Tablets upon civilization, sociology and government. Every subject is considered. His Tablets are matchless in beauty and profundity. Even His enemies acknowledge the greatness of Baha’u’llah, saying He was the miracle of humanity.

Across the great breadth and depth of Baha’u’llah’s writings, we find the laws and teachings humanity needs to address our contemporary problems and form the basis for a new, peaceful global civilization.

Baha’u’llah’s most important teaching – the fundamental oneness of all humanity – affirms that we are all members of one race with one origin. All prejudices, whether racial, religious, national, or gender-based must be eradicated, he said. We are destined to work together, men and women, for our common benefit. We need to be of service to all.

A New World Order

The scriptures of the great Faiths all offer us prophecies of a better world to come. Throughout history, philosophers have consistently written about such a fruitful future – the promised “Golden Age” of human civilization.

Baha’u’llah’s teachings make those promises real. In the Baha’i writings, they become much more specific, outlining and describing a roadmap for what needs to be done to achieve this long-promised objective.

Toward these goals, the global Baha’i community has been developing essential skills such as community-building, promoting world unity, and decision-making using peaceful consultation rather than conflict, all based on Baha’u’llah’s teachings. In addition, Baha’is raise their children to become global citizens who live according to spiritual principles and dedicate themselves to serving humanity.

Prophecies fulfilled

For Christians, the 1800’s represented a time of great expectation. Many Biblical prophecies were understood by Christian scholars to predict the return of Christ around the years 1843 or 1844. Prophecies from the Old Testament, such as Isaiah and Daniel, aligned with prophecies from the Gospels and Revelation. These prophecies indicated not only the time of a great renewal, but also the places and circumstances involved.

Muslims experienced similar excitement around that same time. Prophecies from Sunni and Shi’a traditions also foretold the appearance of the Promised One in the year 1844, the year 1260 in the Muslim calendar.

RELATED: The Passing and Ascension of Baha’u’llah

The Baha’i revelation, which began in 1844 with the revelation of the Bab, Baha’u’llah’s herald and predecessor, fulfills those prophecies. Baha’u’llah did not deny the previous prophets – instead, he included them in his profound concept of progressive revelation, the Baha’i belief that a loving Creator sends His messengers to people when they are in need of renewed spiritual guidance.

Baha’u’llah wrote about this chain of successive messengers: “These Mirrors will everlastingly succeed each other, and will continue to reflect the light of the Ancient of Days.” He described all of God’s holy prophets by saying:

Every one of them is the Way of God that connecteth this world with the realms above, and the Standard of His Truth unto every one in the kingdoms of earth and heaven. They are the Manifestations of God amidst men, the evidences of His Truth, and the signs of His glory.

Baha’is believe that every person is responsible for their own actions – and that accordingly, we all need to investigate the truth for ourselves. Anyone with an open mind who investigates Baha’u’llah will likely find it difficult to deny that he was more than an ordinary man, and that his teachings are divine in origin. Baha’is everywhere urge everyone to look into Baha’u’llah’s life, claims, and teachings, and decide the truth for themselves.

https://bahaiteachings.org/Who Was Baha’u’llah, and How Can We Evaluate His Claims
How do you know it's his writing's if he never went to school?

Nimos

I'm not sure what you mean by statements and definitions. Statements and definitions of what?
What I mean by it, is in regard to what is considered the success criteria.

So for instance what I wrote about how the Jews see or believe is the requirement for the messiah.

That would be their definition of what the messiah is and the success criteria, if a person comes along and claim to be the messiah and he doesn't live up to this definition or maybe conditions is a better word, there is a very good chance that the Jews do not believe set person is the messiah.

So when you (he) say that:

Baha’u’llah made a second and even more challenging claim. He declared he was the promised world messiah foretold in all the prophecies, in all the holy books, of all the religions of the world

What is the success criteria for this claim?

Does he have to match all of them, meaning all the religions claim about the messiah/savior? Because you just wrote that he didn't really matched the Jewish one, which I would agree with as animals are still eating each other and there is definitely not peace in the world.

So if he doesn't match the Jewish view is he then living up to the claim that he were the promised world messiah? or did the Jews get it wrong about who or how the messiah will appear?

How do or what is the success criteria of Baha'u'llahs claim that he is the promised world messiah, does that make it more clear what I mean?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sounds rather circular, to me. :confused:

Aren't such 'messengers' as numerous as snowflakes in a blizzard? They're part of hundreds of different cults and religions, throughout the world. Mental hospitals are full of them.
How are we to decide which, if any, to believe?
The existence of God, God's interest in us, revelation through prophets, &c. cannot be known without the Messengers of God.

True Messengers of God are not numerous, there has only been one in every age.
False prophets are they part of hundreds of different cults and religions throughout the world and mental hospitals are full of them.

In order to distinguish the true Messengers from the false prophets we need some kind of criteria.

The following criteria are my criteria which is based upon who I believe were Messengers of God, who met all these criteria. My criteria narrow the playing field and it will eliminate the false prophets, since they will fail to meet the criteria.

The minimum criteria would be:

1. He had good character as exemplified by his qualities such as love, mercy, kindness, truth, justice, benevolence, gracious, merciful, righteous, forgiving, patient.

2. He believed he had been given a mission by God and did everything he could to see that it was carried out. He was completely successful before his death, and he accomplished everything that he set out to do.

3. He wrote much about God and God's purpose for humans both individually and collectively, or scriptures were written by others who spoke for him. He firmly believed that the work he was doing was for the Cause of God.

4. He had many followers while he was alive, and there are still millions who follow his teachings and gather in groups based on the religion he founded.

5. His followers have grown more numerous in recent times.

This is a starting point but there are other questions we would want to ask ourselves before we would be able to believe that a man was a true Messenger of God because that is a bold claim so there should be a lot of evidence to support such a claim.

Another criterion I believe a true Messenger of God would have to meet is that his religion could not contradict or be in opposition to any of the world religions that are already established and he could not talk down any of those religions and say his religion is the only true religion from God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How do you know it's his writing's if he never went to school?
We know it is His Writings because it was stamped with His Seal and it has been verified by modern methods of handwriting analysis.

Baha'u'llah did not learn what He knew in any school. He, like all the Messengers of God, had innate knowledge and what He wrote was also what He heard from God.

“O KING! I was but a man like others, asleep upon My couch, when lo, the breezes of the All-Glorious were wafted over Me, and taught Me the knowledge of all that hath been. This thing is not from Me, but from One Who is Almighty and All-Knowing. And He bade Me lift up My voice between earth and heaven, and for this there befell Me what hath caused the tears of every man of understanding to flow. The learning current amongst men I studied not; their schools I entered not. Ask of the city wherein I dwelt, that thou mayest be well assured that I am not of them who speak falsely. This is but a leaf which the winds of the will of thy Lord, the Almighty, the All-Praised, have stirred.” Proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 57

“God is My witness, O people! I was asleep on My couch, when lo, the Breeze of God wafting over Me roused Me from My slumber. His quickening Spirit revived Me, and My tongue was unloosed to voice His Call.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 90

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
False per Quran. God, heaven and hell and day of judgment can be validated without Messengers and Prophets, but there is still need of a leader for justice in all time, because the light of the world is needed for spiritual life. A spiritual light in the inward world is needed for guidance and that the world can't do without.

But per Quran, Prophethood and Messengers sent by God and the leaders of guidance manifested to the public (brought out) is an act of grace and mercy and manifesting people as pure is an act of mercy from God.

Now, were it not for this mercy and grace, very few would enter paradise and not follow Iblis. People would complain on the day of judgment, why didn't God send Messengers.

It's a wrong argument that Messengers and Prophets are necessary to be good and to know God. Most people won't know God without them true, but it's not that it's necessary.
What are your beliefs about who will come in the end-times, and when will they come, and what will they accomplish? The way Baha'is tell the story the year 1260 was the date prophesied. Was it? And was there two manifestations of God predicted and that both would be from Persia? And is there such a concept in Islam like the Baha'i concept of "manifestations" of God? To me, all of their beliefs about these things don't fit perfectly with any of the other religions. How well do they fit in with Islamic beliefs?